Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Vote: Which set is SMR off target the most with? (vintage)

Jeez, it's gotta be 1971 topps Greatest Moments.

First of all, this is not to bash the smr. I sure wouldn't want that job. they can't do it all.

That said, I think they've bailed out on the 71 G.M. cards. I mean, it's not even close! They don't get anywhere near identifying short prints in anything over PSA 6's.
I mean cmon! Not a single card in a PSA 8 do they have valued over a grand (even the Reggie). Hoyt Wilhelm in an 8 for $160.00? I'll give you $600. right now. That card is impossible. Here's my favorite: last card in set, Bud Harrelson #55, they have a 7 for $45. I recently got a serious offer to buy a well centered copy for $900.
Do they take suggestions?

Nice Christmas rant, eh? Merry Christmas night you cats, hope you don't have to work tomorrow.

Please cast vote for smr's worst ~

Comments

• msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    Quite a few pre-war sets to consider....I will give my vote to 1938 Goudey (especially the Hall of Famers)
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1952 Bowman Large Football in PSA 7/8
  • 1966-67 Topps Hockey
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    I noticed you say you wouldn't want that job, but does anyone really know if there is someone who is actually dedicated to updating the prices? I seriously doubt it considering the complete lack of movement in scores of sets over months and months despite easily accesible information on contradictary prices realized.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    in the non sports arena the Mars attacks are way off too. A mint 9 goes for 250.00 in the book. You can't buy one for less then a grand.

In 8 they book for 100.00 I think, and routinely sell for from 250.00 to 750.00

In 7 they book for 75.00 and can be had for that at times but average 100.00+

Steve
    Good for you.
  • OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    post cereal 61-63
  • 1957 Topps Football in PSA 8'S. Some PSA 7 cards go for more than SMR value.

JMO.......image

1952 Topps Collector.

• stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    1955 TAAs in 7+

If, and that's a big IF, I get one at or below SMR, I do a little jig.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1955 TAAs in 7+

If, and that's a big IF, I get one at or below SMR, I do a little jig.

image >>

Like the Jig I did when I got that PSA 7 Charles Brickley for $25? image

• 1935 National Chicle Packers. Even the PSA 1's are going crazy!
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I would have to echo the 1971 Topps Greatest Moments set as well. I once sent Joe Orlando a price list on "market value" from this set. It was so opposite of what cards showed in the SMR that I think he would be embarrassed changing the pricing to that. He told me that he needed proof of the sale before he could change the pricing. I told him that I see that you have priced PSA 10's from this set and there is not a PSA 10- there was no proof there.

This set is never going to be priced right by SMR because of its rarity in high grade.

Scott- your set is coming along very nicely.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • 262Runner262Runner Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

<< <i>post cereal 61-63 >>

I don't think the SMR has ever looked at sales of these cards. Not one card is even close to realized sales

Collecting all cards - Gus Zernial
    Post Cereal both raw and PSA Graded (1961-1963)

• NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    On the '71 Greatest Moments, is SMR fairly accurate on the non-SPs?

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    perhaps a more appropriate question may have been, what set or series is usually sold at below what SMR states? I would think that some must? In PSA 7 and above?

Steve

Good for you.
  • 262Runner262Runner Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

<< <i>perhaps a more appropriate question may have been, what set or series is usually sold at below what SMR states? I would think that some must? In PSA 7 and above? >>

That would at least be a much shorter list.

Collecting all cards - Gus Zernial
    Post Cereal both raw and PSA Graded (1961-1963)

• 1960 topps football PSA-8 and above, what a joke, impossible to buy at SMR!!!!!!!!!image

• << <i>

<< <i>perhaps a more appropriate question may have been, what set or series is usually sold at below what SMR states? I would think that some must? In PSA 7 and above? >>

That would at least be a much shorter list. >>

Many of the non sports sets fall into that criteria--Planet of the Apes is a big one. You can usually get them for half of SMR.

In sports, the 1936 S & S Game cards have high SMR prices but low prices realized at auction.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    I was looking at the SMR I got in the mail recently with the calendar. Flipping to the 71GMs, I saw that they had #1 Munson in 7 at something like $250. The first 7 I've ever seen recently sold on ebay for just over $3000. If I could complete my set at anywhere near the prices they have listed I'd be extremely happy. I know it's 'just a guide' but why bother if that's the information you get out of it?
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Have collected most mainstream sets of football and hands down HOF Rookies smr is not even close
  • 1914 cracker jacks.....the psa 2 sells for psa 5 listed price....
  • The guide is way to low on T206 psa-7+, and a bit high for the psa-5's
  • MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Without a doubt - 1959 Morrell Meats Dodgers.
    A Koufax 5 is listed at $150. The last one I saw sold for $4,000.
    Most other cards are listed at no better than a tenth of what they sell for;
    the higher grade listed "values" are just fantastically off.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."