Home Sports Talk
Options

You stay classy, San Diego

stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
Did anyone see Rivers talking smack to Cutler.

It's not like someone tried to take out Rivers.. Ironically, SD is one of the dirtiest teams in the NFL, especially Merriman.

There's a difference between trading words while on the field or if someone gets knocked out of bounds or talking trash to the fans.

However, to scream at another player, who was probably 25 yards away, while surronded by teammates, takes the cake.

Wonder if Rivers was flapping his jaw at the beginning of the season when they were 1-3?
So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

Comments

• Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Did anyone see Rivers talking smack to Cutler.

It's not like someone tried to take out Rivers.. Ironically, SD is one of the dirtiest teams in the NFL, especially Merriman.

There's a difference between trading words while on the field or if someone gets knocked out of bounds or talking trash to the fans.

However, to scream at another player, who was probably 25 yards away, while surronded by teammates, takes the cake.

Wonder if Rivers was flapping his jaw at the beginning of the season when they were 1-3? >>

I'm so glad that NY and SD fought over Eli Manning and Philip Rivers. They let Roethlisberger slide down to the Steelers!
  • Options
    All Cutler had to do was to actually perform and there wouldn't have been any jawing...but, since he sucked, he had it coming.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And Rivers can run his mouth because of what?
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Do we know what Cutler did prior to this? if anything?
  • Options

<< <i>Do we know what Cutler did prior to this? if anything? >>

I haven't read or heard anything.

Oh and I wonder how good Rivers would be without the best RB in his backfield.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Oh and I wonder how good Rivers would be without the best RB in his backfield. >>

Exactly!
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Oh and I wonder how good Rivers would be without the best RB in his backfield. >>

Although you do bring up a valid point, you could actually say that about numerous QBs. How good would Terry Bradshaw have been without Franco Harris, Lynn Swann and John Stallworth; Griese without Csonka, Kiick, Morris and Warfield; Montana or Young without Rice; John Elway could never win a Super Bowl until Terrell Davis showed up. Would Roethlisberger (and the Steelers) have won the Super Bowl without Bettis. You could also look at it in reverse...How good would Swann and Stallworth have been without Bradshaw; etc, etc,etc...

My point is it's a team game, and plenty of players are thought of as great, or won a Super Bowl, when it could be argued that they got there only because they were elevated to that level by their teammates.

Steve
  • Options

<< <i>

Although you do bring up a valid point, you could actually say that about numerous QBs. How good would Terry Bradshaw have been without Franco Harris, Lynn Swann and John Stallworth; Griese without Csonka, Kiick, Morris and Warfield; Montana or Young without Rice; John Elway could never win a Super Bowl until Terrell Davis showed up. Would Roethlisberger (and the Steelers) have won the Super Bowl without Bettis. You could also look at it in reverse...How good would Swann and Stallworth have been without Bradshaw; etc, etc,etc...

My point is it's a team game, and plenty of players are thought of as great, or won a Super Bowl, when it could be argued that they got there only because they were elevated to that level by their teammates.

Steve >>

You are correct, it's a team game. Who knows what their careers would have been without their key counterparts.

However, I wouldn't compare Rivers to Montanta, Elway, or Bradshaw just yet.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    i like rivers but i didn't know he was good enough to do that, his stats aren't all that good. a couple of months ago he looked as bad as cutler himself, of course denver has no receivers and nothing to play for and SD does, not surprizing the results. did i miss having a great game there???
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    His team was crushing Denver...and, let's not forget, Rivers wasn't alone in taunting Cutler. Anyone else forget this is a division game, and playing the same team twice a year makes for heated games?

• Options

<< <i>i like rivers but i didn't know he was good enough to do that, his stats aren't all that good. a couple of months ago he looked as bad as cutler himself, of course denver has no receivers and nothing to play for and SD does, not surprizing the results. >>

Ray Lewis, TO, and ones who have proven themselves.. Sure, completely understandable.. Not saying I agree with it; just is what it is, football.

But Rivers?

Uh, no.
  • Options
    not going far anyway enjoy while you can
  • Options

<< <i>
    Ray Lewis, TO, and ones who have proven themselves.. Sure, completely understandable.. Not saying I agree with it; just is what it is, football.

But Rivers?

Uh, no. >>

I don't recall you having any beef with Travis Johnson taunting an unconscious Trent Green, though.

You stay classy, Houston.

edit: and before you say this was a 'one time thing' or that it was in retaliation to a 'cheap' (albeit legal) hit, let's not forget the unsportsmanlike penalty he drew for piling on Peyton on Sunday.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Dear Posters,

Please let me know when myself and my team mates have done enough,
    in your eyes, to earn ourselves the right to have a little fun out on the football field.

Forever in debt to your priceless advice,
    Philip Rivers
    Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options

<< <i>Dear Posters,

Please let me know when myself and my team mates have done enough,
    in your eyes, to earn ourselves the right to have a little fun out on the football field.

Forever in debt to your priceless advice,
    Philip Rivers >>

I totally understand where you're coming from.

Had Rivers thrown a 60 yd TD or got run out of bounds, I can see some justified trash talk from one QB to the other.

But he was on the sidelines during a blowout in which he was only having an average game.

Big difference but again, I see your point WB, just don't agree with it.