Home Testing Forum

1907Quarter's 25-note Minimalist Design Type Set: Small Note-Small-Denomination, design features:12/

As many of you know, I'm a type collector over in the coin department and I'm expanding to currency in a wonderful kind of way. I've completed a treasury seals type set and I'm looking to expand to an overall type set. I'm also a minimalist so I try not to get denominations in the way. So I'm putting together a new kind of small size type set using the denomination up to $100 as a cut-off, based on design features as the main qualifier. Those notes that can minimally represent all the features will be the goal of the type set!

Here's an example: new portraits($5 $10 $20), colorized($5 $10 $20) can be represented by just the latter set which contain BOTH design features.

This list which lists types by denomination was a great help and serves as a nice comparison:list By completing this list's $1-$100 you need 99 notes. I've finally got it down to 25 notes, without losing a trick! This is what has been fun; trying to find as many notes that have as many features as possible!

Here are my qualifiers:

1.Backs, back features(15): original ONE, great seal, Monticello, Declaration of Independence, Lincoln Memorial, New Lincoln Memorial, Treasury, New Treasury, White House, The White House, New The White House, Capitol, New Capitol, Independence Hall(the new IH is practically identical and is not a separate feature, although I will need the new $100 for the new Franklin),In God We Trust. (B)

2.Color(5?): will the $100 have color in 2008??!!! (C)

3.Chaters(2): 2&4 (for NBN) (the FRBN is represented already in the large brown seal) (CH)

4.Fed Seal(5): Big district numeral, large round, no "THE"in round seal, small letter(scallop), new seal (F)

5.Blue and gray field numbers(9): 1,2,5,10,100(the 1934 $100 FRN for example, has a large 100 when compared to the post 1963 notes) (FN)

6.Hawaii Overprint (H)

7.Legends(11) 1933 $10 silver not included (L)

8.Numbers Spelled Out(large/small) (13): (there is only one spelling of ONE HUNDRED!) (NS)

9.Obligations(6) (O)

10.Portraits(12): 7-old, 5-new($1-$100) (P)

11.Treasury seals(17): (see my link below for details!) (S)

12.Treasury seals located on left side(3): gold, blue, red (SL)

"Washington D.C." and "United States" are printed in many variations, too many in fact, to be separate design features each time. The 1928 $1 USN does not appear here for that exact reason. Similarly, many legends appear in a variety of places. It is their changing texts that I view as a separate design features.

So here is the presentation. Each will include the note #(1-26), the provenance, a quick description of the note with some personal commentary, and most of all the design features each new note brings with it! All notes bought from Laura Kessler were bought prior to her employment at PCGS.

1.1928 $10 GC: L1, O1, S1, B1, P1, NS1, SL1

The GCs carried the obligation "This certifies that there have been deposited in the Treasury of the United States of America ____ dollars in gold coin payable to the bearer on demand", and the legend "This certificate is a legal tender in the amount thereof in payment of all debts and dues public and private." It also bears a large, gold, Latin seal on the left, Alexander Hamilton's stately small portrait and a large "TEN" on the right. The U.S Treasury is on the back. This first note of the collection, as an example introduces the first 7 design features.
PMG XF40, Laura Kessler

I've chosen XF as my minimum grade for the set. There is obvious circulation in such pieces but it doesn't take away from the overall look and design features. The notes hit a wall and after an increase in grade, can suddenly shoot up in price.

2.1928 $2 USN: L2, O2, S2, B2, P2, NS2, SL2

The USNs carried the obligation "The United States of America will pay to the bearer on demand ____ dollars", and the legend "This note is a legal tender at its face value for all debts public and private except duties on imports and interest on the public debt". It bears a large, red, Latin seal on the left. Jefferson and the precious home of his, Monticello, are on front and back respectively. Large "TWO" on the right.

3.1953 $2 USN: L3, S3, FN1, NS3

New legend:"This note is a legal tender at its face value for all debts public and private". Small, red Latin seal. Gray "2". Small "two".
Ch. CU, Harlan Berk

As a new currency collector, it is wonderful to get a neat red seal for a song! These common type notes serve an important purpose!

4.1966 $100 USN: L4, O3, S4, B3, P3, NS4, FN2, B4

Small, red, English seal, Independence Hall and Franklin, two references to the Revolution, are strongly connected to this very popular type note. "ONE HUNDRED" spelled out here accompany a small "100" compared to the early FRN version. The legend is shortened to read simply, "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private". Also, the words "will pay to the bearer on demand" were eliminated from the obligation. This effectively removed the obligation altogether, since there remained only the phrase "The United States of America" and the dollar value. "In God We Trust" on the back.
XF, Harlan Berk

These notes come with very crisp paper, I thought I might cut myself with it when first received. A number of strong bends commensurate with XF, the note is indeed, very fresh. The hobby turns pretty serious when you get one of these!

5.1928 $1 SC: L5, O4, S5, B5, P4, NS5, SL3

Large, blue, Latin seal on left. The early silver certificates carried the obligation "This certifies that there has been deposited in the Treasury of the United States of America one silver dollar payable to the bearer on demand", and the legend "This certificate is receivable for all public dues and when so received may be reissued". Large "ONE" at right, original "Funny Back" design. Washington portrait introduced on the front.
Ch. AU, RCNH

A great little type note. Original wavy paper, great surfaces. The Funny back is great to show off to non-numismatists!

The rare 1933 $10 SC does not appear here for budgetary reasons but it has a special wordings on the obligation "Ten dollars payable in silver coin to the bearer on demand", and the legend "This certificate is issued pursuant to Section 45 of the Act of May 12, 1933, and is legal tender at its face value for all debts public and private."

6.1934 $1 SC: L6, O5, FN3

All of the Series 1934 notes carry the shortened legend that had been introduced on the 1928E $1 SC "This certificate is legal tender for all debts, public and private", and the revised obligation "This certifies that there is on deposit in the Treasury of the United States of America ____ dollars in silver payable to the bearer on demand". Neat blue "1" at left!
CU, RCNH

This is a great series for block collectors. Once complete, the eight notes, including the star, make a tight set! Nice to have this one in new.

7.1934A $5 SC: FN4, B6, P5, NS6

Blue "5", Lincoln and The Memorial introduced here. Large "FIVE".
Ch. CU, Laura Kessler

A gorgeous note, the seal beautifully centered on the five. Not expensive at all and that's helpful to the budget. Lots of note for the price!

8.1934A $10 NASC: S6, FN5

Large, yellow, Latin seal. Blue "10"
AU, Laura Kessler

Yellow seal-who'da thunk it! Distinctively not gold. Currency goes technicolor with the emergency issue which needed to look different from the regular currency at the time.

9.1935A $1 NASC: S7, FN6, B7

This note(in this order) introduces the Great Seal on back. Small, yellow, Latin seal, gray "1".
Ch. AU/CU, Laura Kessler

a great pairing with the $10 above.

10. 1953 $5 SC: FN7, NS7, S8

Gray "5", small "five" and small, blue, Latin seal.

11.1953B $10 SC: FN8, NS8,

Gray "10", small "ten"
AU, Don Kelly

the gray 10 is the key feature here. The example, I believe is PQ for the grade. These start to skyrocket in CU and above.

12.1935A $1 HISC: H, S9

The Hawaii overprint, on both front and back. Small, brown, Latin seal.
Ch. AU, Laura Kessler

a second style emergency issue.

13.1929 $20 NBN, T-I: O6, L7, L8, S10, CH1, B8, P6, NS9

National Bank Notes carry the obligation "The ____ National Bank of ____ will pay to the bearer on demand ____ dollars", and the legends "Redeemable in lawful money of the United States, at United States Treasury or at the bank of issue" and "Secured by United States bonds deposited with the Treasurer of the United States of America". Medium, brown, Latin seal! Charter # doubled, Jackson portrait/White House on this, the first $20 in the set. Large "TWENTY".
AU, Horwedel

I didn't realize how much embossing was going on here, until I made this scan! A common charter is the way to go. Curiously I missed an opportunity to purchase a CU Kalamazoo, charter #191 a little while back that was around $200. That charter has done well more recently and I believe it is now recognized as a funny name! Just check out the size of this seal. Not quite the large, Not quite the small. It covers less area on the larger number spelling than the large seal, a good test of the medium kind. I love this seal because it's unique in this way.

14.1929 NBN, T-II: CH2

15.1929 $50 FRBN: L9, S11, NS10, B9, P7

The Federal Reserve Bank Note legend reads: "Secured by United States bonds deposited with the Treasurer of the United States of America or by like deposit of other securities" Large, brown, Latin seal. Important $50 features, large "FIFTY", Grant and the Capitol.
AU/CU, Don Kelly

A pretty important note here. Besides being a small portrait $50, the large, brown, Latin seal is represented at a fraction of the cost of a non-$1 Hawaii bill. Planning is quite important. Just a little top margin handling knocks this down from CU.

16.1928A $5 FRN: L10, S12, F1

The early FRNs carried the legend "Redeemable in gold on demand at the United States Treasury, or in gold or lawful money at any Federal Reserve Bank." The obligation is identical to the USN of the same year. Large, forest-green, Latin seal. Big numeral district fed seal.
Ch. AU, Don Kelly

A great way to get the forest green seal, with a numeral note! Again, just a little handling and wonderfully crisp paper!

17.1934 $100 FRN LGS: S13, F2, L11, FN9

Large, yellow-green, Latin seal, large round letter-district fed seal. Large "100" and modified legend, not referring to payment in gold: "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private, and is redeemable in lawful money at the United States Treasury, or at any Federal Reserve Bank."
XF, Denlys

Nice XF, crisp, nice lime color!

18.1934D $20 FRN DGS: S14, B10, F3

Large, blue-green, Latin seal, no "THE" in fed seal and modified back.
Ch. AU, Dave Berg LTD.

A very important note for the set. Turquoise-green seal, new shrubbery, modified fed-seal(no THE), White House WITH THE! My valence note! THE is simply transported from front to back. Just a little more than twice face value too! Notes like this truly give you bang for the buck!

19.1963B $1 FRN: S15, F4, NS11

Small, green, Latin seal, small-letter fed seal, small "one".
Ch. CU, Coins and Currency of Wayne

Another nicely-centered seal, nice quality for a small price, but a fully representative example! Barr note too!

20.2003 $2 FRN: S16, B11

Small, green, English seal. Declaration of Independence on back.
Gem CU, bank find

A modern $2 bill, with the great vignette on back. A shame more of the great scenes captured in paintings do not appear on today's currency!

21.2008(?) $5 FRN: P8, C1, B12, F5, S17

22.2004A $10 FRN: P9, C2, B13

This note has background tints of peach, orange, and red. The overall background is tan-like. New Hamilton portrait as stately as ever. New angle to the treasury!
Gem CU, ATM

One of the most-liked of the new designs. The color is popular on this note. Nice borders, nicely placed dark seal.

23.2004A $20 FRN: P10, C3, B14, NS12

The note has peach, green, and blue tints, but the background is predominantly green. New Jackson portrait and a new looking White House on back. Small "twenty".
Ch. CU, ATM

The story on acquiring this note is amusing. An ATM with 4 stacks of bills. I notice new, in-sequence bills on the first withdrawal only 12 notes away from the radar. I cycle through the 3 other stacks, one note a piece and then ask for 12 on the 4th run! It has a very special place in my heart as my first radar hunt!

24.2004A $50 FRN: P11, C4, B15, NS13

The $50 has tints of peach, purple, blue, and red in the background. Large Grant portrait, a new Capitol, small "fifty".
Gem CU, bank find

Because the note does not circulate as much as the two other colorized notes, it is visually more interesting. Patriotic colors and design! Refreshingly wide borders, as exciting to receive in fresh condition as any other note! I'm sure the $5 and $100 will bring similar feelings when released!

25.2008(?) $100 FRN: P12, C5(?)

USPI minimalist design collage
designset
Treasury Seals Type Set

Comments