Home Sports Talk
Options

Favorite MLB Parks

As a huge baseball fan I want to try to make it to every baseball stadium in the league. I have been to U.S Cellular (season ticket holder) Wrigley, Great American Ball Park, Miller Park, Minute Maid Park, and the Metrodome. I really want to make it out to Pac Bell, I love the idea of bashing balls into the ocean. What are some of your favorite MLB parks and why? Where should I go next?

Comments

• Options
    Jacobs field is great image they did a nice job, I love Fenway and Camden Yards.
  • Options
    Fenway and Wrigley Field are a must just for their history and tradition. I am also in agreement that Camden Yards is a must see. I like the mix of "new world" amenities in an "old world" setting. I also enjoyed taking a trip up to watch the Blue Jays a couple years back. It wasn't so much the stadium but all the things going on outside the stadium that I enjoyed.
  • Options
    I have heard many great thinks about Camden. I really think it looks nice on the TV with that warehouse in the background. PetCo park looks neat too..I hear there are hotel rooms there that overlook the field, so that you can watch the game from your balcany.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fenway is to Red Sox Nation what the national capital is to hogs feeding at the trough.
  • Options
    Fenway is a must....however I have heard that if you have been to wrigley your not missing much with Fenway. Same old ballpark except for the monster. I would almost rather see Yankee Stadium before Fenway. If I do that, I better go this year huh?? I can not believe the Yanks won't be in Yankee stadium after this year
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Fenway is a must....however I have heard that if you have been to wrigley your not missing much with Fenway. Same old ballpark except for the monster. I would almost rather see Yankee Stadium before Fenway. If I do that, I better go this year huh?? I can not believe the Yanks won't be in Yankee stadium after this year >>

if you heard that about Fenway, you heard it from a nimrod. I'd put Yankee Stadium as location #1 to visit this year because of its impending doom, but don't discount Fenway so easily...you will miss A LOT!
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i>if you heard that about Fenway, you heard it from a nimrod. I'd put Yankee Stadium as location #1 to visit this year because of its impending doom, but don't discount Fenway so easily...you will miss A LOT! >>

I agree with you. Fenway is a great place to see a game even if you aren't a Red Sox fan, but Yankees Stadium should be #1 on everyone's list this year if they haven't already been there. I don't think I'll have a chance to see a game in New York this year and that's my loss. So much history going bye-bye.
  • Options
    Turner field in Atlanta is really nice as well. They still have the outfield wall from Fulton Co Stadium, commemorating Hammerin' Hank's legendary blast (It's part of the new parking lot, but it's still there), plus all the extras of a modern stadium. The prices of admission and food wasn't very bad either, not much more than my local minor league park.
    2001-2014 Topps Heritage complete!
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Fenway is an absolute must, just mind your knees.

Yankee stadium is about history and the sights. Go up to the top of left field and just enjoy the panaramic view of the city.

However, when all said and done, Minute Maid Park is the place to be, especially the centerfield bar.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    AT&T park in SF is widely regarded as the best in all of baseball...fantastic views, a great city, incredibly unique architecture, and, as you noted, hitting into the bay is great. If you go, grab a seat in the right field bleachers.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure SteveK would agree with me on this when I say nothing beats the amenities at Shea Stadium in Flushing, New York. And if you need hubcaps after the game, or a rear bumper for that matter, there are plenty of Joe Pesci run salvage yards to sightsee before jumping on the Van Wyck towards home!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Comerica Park in Detroit is probably not on anyones "favorite" list. A ho hum modern stadium with no "soul".
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    I have been to about 15 major league parks. Without question Fenway was the most cramped, miserable park I have ever visited. Wrigley was 20 times more comfortable. Old Tiger stadium was my favorite.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    San Fran is dynamite.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yankee stadium is about history and the sights. Go up to the top of left field and just enjoy the panaramic view of the city.

>>

Yankee stadium was ruined with the "renovations" in the mid 1970's. It has all the charm of the old Atlanta Fulton Co. stadium.

If you miss going to it do not fret -- the new stadium will be much more like the original "house that Ruth built".
  • Options
    Boy, I don't know about that......Comerica Park that is....

Any park that has "KALINE" (i.e. Kaline's corner) just has to be good! image

Honestly though, I thought Comerica was very cool from the standpoint
    of Centerfield. The Statues obviously are great of Kaline and such, but,
    when you are out there, it almost feels like you could reach out and touch
    the grass in centerfield. Really gives it a "HOMEY" feel!

I really like Camden as well, as it was an old feel to it....

I was not real thrilled with Shea Stadium that much.......
    especially after the game was over and the three of us
    couldn't find a cab....got a little too scary for me!

Tony
    KalineFan
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Yankee stadium is about history and the sights. Go up to the top of left field and just enjoy the panaramic view of the city.

>>

Yankee stadium was ruined with the "renovations" in the mid 1970's. It has all the charm of the old Atlanta Fulton Co. stadium.

If you miss going to it do not fret -- the new stadium will be much more like the original "house that Ruth built". >>

Obviously I am biased due to being a Yankee fan but I wouldn't take the above quote seriously. Comparing Yankee Stadium even in its current form with Fulton County Stadium is ridiculous. Yankee Stadium is a GREAT ball park to watch a ball game. The seats from the field all the way into the upper deck hover very close to the field. Its what makes that upper deck so steep!

Just go there and judge for yourself. I LOVE the place ...

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭
    Ballpark: Kobe City, Japan (Just kidding!) Just thought I'd post something different! image

rd

P.S. My favorite ballpark is without a doubt Fenway Park, when the Yankees are there beating the poop out of Red Sox (see some cool pics below!)! image

• Options
    Pnc Park is awesome. There is not a bad seat in the building great views of the river and the city of Pittsburgh. The right field wall is 21 feet high in honor of Roberto Clemente.

• Options
    sweet pics guys!!! Anyone else have any more pics. from the stadiums they have been too? PNC looks beautiful. I am leaning towards Yankee stadium.
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Fenway is my favorite out of all the parks I have been too but I am biased.
    Other parks that I've been to:
    Yankee Stadium
    Shea Stadium
    Tropicana Field
    Comisky Park
    Astrodome
    3 Rivers

I would love to go to PNC, Camden Yards, Minute Maid, Safeco amoung others.

Some day....
  • Options
    Since my wife is from Chicago, I can give opinions of those two stadiums, too. I've not been to many stadiums, but I hope to add a few more to that list this season. Wrigley Field is a wonderful stadium in a great part of the city. You feel like a fan when you're there. New Comiskey Park (or US Cellular Feild, whatever you prefer) is a nice stadium, and a great place to take in a game. The biggest concern I have with it is it's location. It's not in a horrible part of the city, but it's not in a great part, either.

Hopefully I'll take in a game at Camden Yards and maybe Great American Ballpark this year.
    2001-2014 Topps Heritage complete!
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    I have walked around the outside of the Cardinals' new stadium. A real gem. I'd like to get to a game there next summer. On the other side of Missouri is Kauffman (Royals) Stadium. (Arrowhead Stadium as its neighbor.) It has always been noted as one of the more beautiful parks and no other park can boast of having outfield water fountains. The overall viewing in the park can get a little nosebleedish but overall it's a fine park to watch a game. A renovation is set to begin soon.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wrigley followed by Fenway and then it just doesn't matter

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.