Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

ebay 1872-CC Seated Liberty Quarter

Hi, I just came across an 1872-CC Seated Liberty Quarter, was past down from my father in-law who found this coin under a house that was torn down for a small shopping mall in genoa, nevada.. He told me that he took it and put it in a coin collector holder and has been holding on to it since, and never told anyone till now.. It has never been cleaned, It has only been out of its case to get it appraised once at Sparks Rare Coin and once at Southgate Coins.. Guessed graded at XF40 to XF-45..

Ebay Link

Comments

• Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    Wow what a great story to get a coin like that.

What is your return policy?

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I wanted to maximize my return on such a coin, I would have it certified by PCGS or NGC and have it auctioned by Heritage. Alternatively, once it is certified, dealers and collectors might be willing to pay more for it.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and never told anyone till now

Why wouldn't he ever tell anyone? It's not like he knew that it was worth thousands? Seems like a very interesting and fun story to tell all his family and friends.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    holeinone1972, 7 day return money back.. i would get it graded just dont have the money to do it right now.. figured id try ebay see if it sells if not i'll wait till i have the money and send it to pcgs.. from what i understand on this coin is that theres not that many in that great of condition, i was offered 5,000 from sparks rare coin he said if i had it graded and came back he might give me more, but he suggested trying ebay
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So let me get this straight. For lack of $125 to get this graded on the early bird one week turnaround, you're ok with tossing away a few thousand dollars on an uncleaned, original, XF 1872-cc 25c? You know nothing about these coins but settled on $9K-10K as the range of value? I guess we've seen it all now. You know that guy on the obverse of the Bridgeport?

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ill tell you what,

Ill send the coin in to the grading service and pay the fee's upfront for a 2% cut on the sale. You are losing way to much by not holdering this coin!!! its worth around 7500-9000 IMO. I would never buy this raw without being able to see it in hand, and I suspect others probably fee the same

Jim

• Options
    Jim, I thought of doing something similar but the seller appears to be in one heck of a hurry to unload this coin. I would think that a good high power search of the mint mark area, date diagnostics, reeding and overall fabric of the coin should tell if its real or not. Very few of these are really choice and problem free, and I doubt very much if this one is any different. Hence nice ones earn a strong premium.

Imo the 72-cc is somewhat overrated as quarters go, but it is needed for CC set completion and hence the big price. It is not of the rarity of a 42-0 SD, 60-s, 72-s for example, yet catalogues for much more as a rule. However in higher grades of XF-UNC the numbers do change.

FWIW I compared photos of an UNC 72-cc to a 72-s and 72-P quarter and the shield to date positioning is correct for the 72-cc. So on that basis alone, the coin could still be real. The reed count on the CC should also be slightly different than that of the P or S. The rev photo on ebay is so dark that I can barely discern that it's a seated coin.

The seller being a '73 Cuda man, has at least that going for him.

roadrunner
  • Options
    wow, sorry guys for posting this jeez, to tell you the truth i was going to put it on ebay right now to see if i got what i want out of it.. if it doesnt sell YES im sending it in to get it graded and then put it back after talking to some rare coin stores, as in i dont have the money right now to send it in cuz of christmas so if it doesnt sell i'll send it in and then i'll post it again this time being pro graded instead of a guess.. i just wanted to see if it would sell.. and its not fake nor replica.. yes the picture little different on color but its kinda hard to get a close-up with my camara.. i dont know much about coin collecting because i dont do it, it was givin to us from my father-inlaw in hopes that it would help us out financially.. so thanks for the input
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First of all your pictures suck--ALOT. No one is going to spend big bucks on that coin raw without seeing it in person--I have blown up the pix on my computer and it does appear to be a genuine coin in vf-xf condition. Getting it graded (PCGS) is a MUST or will short yourself big bucks. Beg borrow or loan the money from someone to get it done.It will be well worth the effort. If for some reason it bodybags at pcgs try ngc or anacs as a backup plan.
    Here are better pictures of the coin- It appears to be a great coin. JMO. Bob

• Options
    thanks for the blown up pics, ya im gonna send it in if it doesnt sell thx
  • Options
    RR,

I swear this coin looks legit, but I have seen several very deceptive Counterfiets (not cc quarters). I like to know what the surfaces look like also. If I had this coin in hand I would express it up to PCGS for a 1 day turnaround and have it back to re-sale within a week.

Jim
  • Options
    Moving that coin within a week probably will leave at least $1000 or more on the table. If it were me, and the coin was legit, I'd try to find the collector to place it with. The value range on a coin like this could be quite a few thousands. And relatively problem-free CC's don't grow on trees.

roadrunner
  • Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    We can lead a purplecuda to water, but we can't make them drink.
  • Options
    You can put a 426-8V in your purple cuda but that doesn't make it a Hemi Cuda.

roadrunner
  • Options
    RR,

I would shop this coin slowly as well, hel! might even keep it for my self for a while. I only mentioned about expressing it up to PCGS and having it back quickly and be avaialbe for sale to see if I can entise Cuda to either do it himself, or let me send it in??

jim
  • Options
    These guys are giving good advice. Even though the coin looks good, not too many people will spend that kind of money on a raw liberty on Ebay. Add to the problem, you do not have a lot of feedback that can be viewed on the feed back page. If you do not get this coin graded first, you may be leaving a lot of money on the table with Ebay. Sending it to a reputable auction house may be better in this case.
  • Options

<< <i>These guys are giving good advice. Even though the coin looks good, not too many people will spend that kind of money on a raw liberty on Ebay. Add to the problem, you do not have a lot of feedback that can be viewed on the feed back page. If you do not get this coin graded first, you may be leaving a lot of money on the table with Ebay. Sending it to a reputable auction house may be better in this case. >>

That's a good idea. I bet Heritage would even advance you money against the sale of the coin, if there is a need for fast money.
  • Options

<< <i>You can put a 426-8V in your purple cuda but that doesn't make it a Hemi Cuda.

roadrunner >>

I have a 302 Cobra jet 66 Sunbeam Tiger! does that count?

live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!
  • Options

<< <i>wow, sorry guys for posting this jeez, to tell you the truth i was going to put it on ebay right now to see if i got what i want out of it.. if it doesnt sell YES im sending it in to get it graded and then put it back after talking to some rare coin stores, as in i dont have the money right now to send it in cuz of christmas so if it doesnt sell i'll send it in and then i'll post it again this time being pro graded instead of a guess.. i just wanted to see if it would sell.. and its not fake nor replica.. yes the picture little different on color but its kinda hard to get a close-up with my camara.. i dont know much about coin collecting because i dont do it, it was givin to us from my father-inlaw in hopes that it would help us out financially.. so thanks for the input >>

Welcome to the world of plastic! The coin in reality is VF and given your low feedback you won't get a buyer without escrow.
    hard to think it will sell unslabbed though it appears real just based on the dollar value most will feel better if it is encapsulated!

live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!
  • Options
    hey just an update on this i sent it in to pcgs and they graded it at a VF-30
    just wondering if you all agree with pcgs or you if think its better.. let me know what you all think thanks..
  • Options

<< <i>hey just an update on this i sent it in to pcgs and they graded it at a VF-30
    just wondering if you all agree with pcgs or you if think its better.. let me know what you all think thanks.. >>

I think that the PCGS grade is correct.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>hey just an update on this i sent it in to pcgs and they graded it at a VF-30
    just wondering if you all agree with pcgs or you if think its better.. let me know what you all think thanks.. >>

I think that the PCGS grade is correct. >>

It's not an XF
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Smart move.image
    I agree with the grade.
  • Options
    MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    Perhaps we could nominate a couple of reliable forum members to help him out with the submission process? I know there are folks here who gladly allow others to do combined submissions with them.
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.
  • Options
    partagaspartagas Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭
    I think that is a very fair grade for the coin. I was initially interested in this coin, but your original grade and price was out of line.

Is it still for sale? Please pm me with your asking price.
    If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around. Am I still wrong?