Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

What Belongs in the Complete Variety Registry Set?

I want to start a thread to encourage PCGS to help create the Complete Variety sets as they should be.
Who better than the variety collectors on these forums?

Format should be like this....

Lincoln Cents

Jefferson Nickels

ECT.

You guys get the point.

Please list varieties that NEED to be added to exisiting complete sets OR should make sure they are included in the sets soon to be created.

This is for all Variety collectors to list all of those DDR, DDO, RPM ect coins !

This should be fun!

Comments

• Options
    nope. im not ready to give up the prices im getting them for, sorry.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ahooka - That is a fair and reasonable position. And, when there was a Rule of 5, it kept the pressure off much higher prices a bit because there needed to be 5 coins in the pop report before registry players had to own a certain variety.

Of course, this discussion is all academic at this point as PCGS lifted the rule on 5 coins a couple years ago I am told. And, without the rule, one could argue everything needs to be placed in the variety sets just as soon as a special coin number is assigned to a single coin of each and every variety.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    TwincamTwincam Posts: 814 ✭✭
    There will be variety collectors of each series who are not willing or able to obtain all the varieties recognized by PCGS...whether it be due to lack of interest, lack of wide availability of some of the coins...or their price threshold. PCGS can create Classic Variety or Major Variety sets for those that are not willing or able to tackle the complete sets. These Classic or Major Variety sets may allow those collectors the opportunity to complete a variety set without obtaining all the varieties PCGS recognizes.

It's my understanding...at least for the Kennedys...that PCGS will recognize, slab, and assign a coin number for all varieties listed in the latest version of the Cherrypickers' Guide. The complete set should contain every one of them, by definition. Period. If PCGS recognizes the variety and assigns it a number...how could a complete set not contain it? There is a big difference in "completing a set"...and "having a complete set". Some of the varieties PCGS recognizes are going to be hard to obtain. If you need to "complete a set", there will be the Classic or Major Variety sets. If you want to "have a complete set", then ALL varieties recognized by PCGS need to be in that set.

Kennedy collectors are fortunate in that our current (non-variety) "Complete Set" contains both MS coins and Proofs. I for one will be extremely disappointed if the "Complete Kennedy Variety Set" doesn't contain all the coins in the basic sets (both MS and Proof), both business strikes and satin finish coins for 2005 and after, and ALL the varieties PCGS recognizes from the Cherrypickers' Guide.
  • Options
    Concerning the variety sets in the PCGS Registry.

It is my understand that there will be a “Classic Variety Set”, “Major Variety Set” and a “Complete Variety Set” for each series within the Registry. This is fine with me if PCGS wants to define three different sets, all I really care about is the “Complete Variety Set” so that all of the brothers can be under one roof. In the “Complete Variety Set”, I could care less if any coins of a certain variety has been attributed yet, if PCGS assigns a unique coin number for a variety, I hope it is added to this set.

With all due respect, I understand PCGS is trying to add the varieties for one series and then move onto another. I believe this policy is flawed. In my opinion, PCGS should first define what constitutes a “Classic Variety” and a “Major Variety” coin. The words “Classic” and “Major” means different things to different people. Once PCGS announces the definitions’ of the Classic and Major Varieties and what the differences are, then they can let the chips fall where they fall and build the sets on a level playing field. Establishing the “Complete Variety Set” for any series should be the easiest, one of everything (the more the better)!

I also realize that these new sets are not going to be built overnight. With the new Variety Program for getting our coins attributed less then a year old, PCGS has their hands full trying to work the bugs out.image
  • Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭
    Lincoln cent

I'm going to cross a 1943 S/S, not in the set yet....

• Options

<< <i>There will be variety collectors of each series who are not willing or able to obtain all the varieties recognized by PCGS...whether it be due to lack of interest, lack of wide availability of some of the coins...or their price threshold. PCGS can create Classic Variety or Major Variety sets for those that are not willing or able to tackle the complete sets. These Classic or Major Variety sets may allow those collectors the opportunity to complete a variety set without obtaining all the varieties PCGS recognizes.

It's my understanding...at least for the Kennedys...that PCGS will recognize, slab, and assign a coin number for all varieties listed in the latest version of the Cherrypickers' Guide. The complete set should contain every one of them, by definition. Period. If PCGS recognizes the variety and assigns it a number...how could a complete set not contain it? There is a big difference in "completing a set"...and "having a complete set". Some of the varieties PCGS recognizes are going to be hard to obtain. If you need to "complete a set", there will be the Classic or Major Variety sets. If you want to "have a complete set", then ALL varieties recognized by PCGS need to be in that set.

Kennedy collectors are fortunate in that our current (non-variety) "Complete Set" contains both MS coins and Proofs. I for one will be extremely disappointed if the "Complete Kennedy Variety Set" doesn't contain all the coins in the basic sets (both MS and Proof), both business strikes and satin finish coins for 2005 and after, and ALL the varieties PCGS recognizes from the Cherrypickers' Guide. >>

Dave,

I totally agree. That will be one LARGE Complete Kennedy Variety Set.

How many coins might be required?

Any of you Kennedy Guys care to take a guess at the total?

I was looking in the CherryPickers guide...There are a lot of Kennedy Halves in there.

• Options

<< <i>I totally agree. That will be one LARGE Complete Kennedy Variety Set.

I was looking in the CherryPickers guide...There are a lot of Kennedy Halves in there. >>

Counting all six coins for 2007, I would be looking for 185 coins in the Complete Variety Setimage
  • Options
    << I totally agree. That will be one LARGE Complete Kennedy Variety Set.
    I was looking in the CherryPickers guide...There are a lot of Kennedy Halves in there. >>

I was thinking 190
  • Options
    So TIm & Dave...

How many of those 170 or 190 do you each have?

Not trying to start a fight.

My curiosity is that you both have been accumulating Kennedy Varieties BEFORE the Complete set actually debuts.
    Now, that makes you guys pioneers in the Kennedy sets.
  • Options

<< <i>So TIm & Dave...How many of those 170 or 190 do you each have? >>

Jim
    I can't speak for Tim, but here's my take...
    My son and I have the majority of the coins...as do many other set registry participants...by virtue of having all the coins required in the current non-variety Complete Set. That set currently requires 141 coins, and adding the 4 coins for 2007 accounts for 145 of them. There are currently 15 sets in the current set that are 100% complete. Several of those sets have notes in the comments section about having both BS and SF coins for 2005-2007. Those that have both the BS and SF have another 6, for a total of 151.
  • Options
    So 151 coins for a complete set without the varieties being added.

So how many varieties are there for the Kennedy series?

What a fun set to do, once you have the Basic complete set done...onto the next big challenge.. all of those varieties!

I am working on a New Presidential Set that is all Die Clashes and other interesting errors as well , using my undergrade coins to fill in the set until I find a better coin for the slot.
    Presidential Complete Variety Set - Die Clash Set by Jim Elsmore

Now, I know these are at this point are not coins that get their own PCGS number based on the die clashes, so they are coins that fit the slots under the BASE coin PCGS numbers.
    I am going to work on pictures for this set, since it will make it a lot more interesting.
  • Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Okay, Jefferson Nickels:

I'm looking for a complete set including all of the dates/mintmarks in mint state, proof and satin finish and includes the following:

- All Cherry-pickers varieties

- All RPM/DDO/R varieties per Coneca, which means they have to designate these coins, and preferably include these coins in the pop report as a seperate line... lets find out just how rare some of these varieties are (PCGS this also means you get many of the coins previously graded by you and other grading companies).

In other words, one of every coin minted by the mint, with every variety included.

That would be my Complete Variety Registry Set!

Steve

U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    BJ responded to an email I had sent a few days ago.

"We have not had the pop 5 rule for at least two years. The complete variety sets will require all the varieties PCGS grades regardless of the number that have been graded. I suspect that at first, many of the new varieties will have low pop numbers, but that will change as the PCGS variety attribution program ages."

So, that settles it.

No Rule of 5
    All Varieties in the Complete Variety sets.

Sounds good to me.
  • Options
    I think BJ answered this back on Oct 29th.

<< <i>
    Date Set– A complete set being one coin for each year in the series.

Basic Set (Date and Mintmark) – A complete set being one of each date and mintmark in the series. For the most of the basic sets, varieties can be used in place of a non-variety coin.

Classic Set – This is the date, mint-mark, and major varieties that have been recognized for the past several decades. Examples of these long time recognized varieties would be the 3-legged Buffalo nickel, 1955 double die Lincoln cent, and the 1918/7-S Standing Liberty quarter.

Major Variety Set – This is the date, mint-mark, and all currently recognized major varieties. For the most part, these are the variety sets that are currently online.

Complete Variety Set - These will be new sets which will require all varieties, major and minor, graded by PCGS. It would also be a complete die variety set for those series collected by die variety such as bust dollars, large cents, bust half dollars, etc. >>