Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A 1773 over 3 over ??? Farthing

Does anyone know if there is an "official" registry in the UK which recognizes and records these types of overdate or repunch blunders?

I know Colin Cooke's collection had several of these combo blunders for the 1773 date (an apprentice worker??), but none were of this N/S nature.

There are 2 very distinct "3"s and a possible 3rd which is just into the base. Anyway, it's an interesting blunder, and the top image is basically the true colour of this little copper bit.

Comments

• Options
    Hi,
    First - very nice farthing and a great image.

There is no official registry. There is a newish website - aboutfarthings.com
    where Colin G. has started to list different die types. He is now working on George III. His site is a work in
    progress, I highly recommend it!

Back to your coin, I have this die type in a lower grade as "3/3 and BRITAN before olive branch" If you look at
    other 1773s the first N of BRITANNIA is further to the right.

I should get out more!

Teg
  • Options
    Mac,
    As Teg has said, I am currently in the process of compiling a George III farthing variety list, which should hopefully be up and running later this year (one of my projects for next year!!). You have taken some great images of that variety, and they would be very useful as images on the site, would you be willing to let me use the images on my site, I will acknowledge the contribution "images courtesy of Mac Crimmon" or whichever name you prefer.

If you are happy for me to use the images, could I ask one more favour? Do you have the facility to weigh the coin. There is a lot of discrepancy in weights on the George III series, and I am looking to also include weight ranges, this information would be very useful.

If you (or anyone else on the forum) have any more examples of George III farthings (grade is not a major issue as long as the legends are readable), please feel free to email the images to me. Ideally they need to be scanned at about 1200DPI to allow for easier comparison and accuracy of comparison, but good quality photos can also be submitted if you have no method of scanning. I will respond back to all contributors once the pages are added to let them know which variety they have.

At present the site goes back to George IIII for anyone who is interested Aboutfarthings

Thanks in advance

Colin G.
    Many Thanks
    Colin G.

Aboutfarthings
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Mac,
    As Teg has said, I am currently in the process of compiling a George III farthing variety list, which should hopefully be up and running later this year (one of my projects for next year!!). You have taken some great images of that variety, and they would be very useful as images on the site, would you be willing to let me use the images on my site, I will acknowledge the contribution "images courtesy of Mac Crimmon" or whichever name you prefer.

If you are happy for me to use the images, could I ask one more favour? Do you have the facility to weigh the coin. There is a lot of discrepancy in weights on the George III series, and I am looking to also include weight ranges, this information would be very useful.

If you (or anyone else on the forum) have any more examples of George III farthings (grade is not a major issue as long as the legends are readable), please feel free to email the images to me. Ideally they need to be scanned at about 1200DPI to allow for easier comparison and accuracy of comparison, but good quality photos can also be submitted if you have no method of scanning. I will respond back to all contributors once the pages are added to let them know which variety they have.

At present the site goes back to George IIII for anyone who is interested Aboutfarthings

Thanks in advance

Colin G. >>

Hi Colin,

Yes, it would be fine to use the image as presented here. The images were taken by Mark Goodman here on this forum. I'll check our lab to see what scales may be available and weigh it as accurately as possible. What weight standard? Grams? Of course, you can convert as required.

Also, this image is presented as perfectly round but slight cropping has been done for ease of changing software backgrounds, etc. The actual farthing is not that round. I can also do some 3-9 o'clock, and 12-6 diameter measurements as well. LMK. Thanks, and nice website you have in process.image
  • Options
    Just a note to let you know that at long last the George III section is about to go live (next week or two), and the images will be used. Thanks again for your contribution, and if anyone else has any good scans of new farthing varieties they want to submit, all contributions are welcome.

Many Thanks
    Colin G.
    Many Thanks
    Colin G.

Aboutfarthings
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Colin, please turn on your private messages. I want to provide some high-resolution pictures of UNC fractional farthings for your site...
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    A very interesting piece, appreciate you sharing it.
  • Options
    Private messaging now switched on, or alternatively you can contact me through the website - Aboutfarthings e-mail
    Many Thanks
    Colin G.

Aboutfarthings