Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

China Dragon Dollar Grade?

Hi guys, New to the forum and was wondering what this recently acquired coin (Krause Y#31) I have would grade? Any expertise is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I'm afraid I am not much of a grader so I will keep my mouth shut on that score but I will say that it looks quite nice and also, welcome to the forum!
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome...

VERY NICE IMAGE and an attractive coin. While it has cabinet friction on the high points, I still believe it is a solid MS coin. I would even venture to say 63-64. I like it

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    I have never seen one with the scales so sharp.
  • Options
    image and that is a pretty coin, not in my area of stuff I deal with to grade all the time but it looks like a very high end AU maybe even MS but I am sure someone who knows far more than I will be along to give you an idea... Nice coin and as mentioned earlier, nice clear pics too!

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    Yee, have you weighed this coin?
  • Options
    Tony Harmer
    Web: www.tonyharmer.org
  • Options
    Thanks for the inputs so far. I have scaled the coin, coming in at the correct weight of a "tad" over 27grams (including the holder+staples).
  • Options
    A little about the "history" of this coin. I just got back from visiting my 94 year old grandma in Hong Kong earlier this month. Needless to say she is quite old and needed handicap access installed in her current bathroom. While remolding and tearing down the sink, we found about 10 british trade dollars, a 1932 Sun Yat Sen Junk Dollar, this coin, along with other random coins that have been collecting with random junk under the sink! Well, I inherited the coins and this one was by far the best condition out of all the coins combined including the trade dollars.

• Options
    That is a very cool story. Can you show us some of the other coins?
  • Options
    f
  • Options
    MS62 Thanks for previous replies. Any suggestions on how to scan the coin better? Mine is blurry.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats in connection with submitting the coin... Based and image and without actually seeing the coin, I think 62 seems alittle harsh.

Just my humble opinion...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    I was expecting a little higher grade as well. When I compared my coin to other MS63-64 coins on EBAY, I'd find that even some of those 63/64 coins had more wear than mine (on dragon/flower/lettering). However I'm no expert, and I think a minor minor ding on the reed of my coin made it a 62.