Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

1909 vdb proof lincoln

when i started learing about coins four years ago, i decided i would read and learn about all the series that i could. i figured it would be easier to really learn if i study one coin at a time and really throw

myself into that one series. i decided on the lincoln cent. i read the 09 vdb proof was rare, but i cant believe how few i see at auction or for sale in general.

i am new to the forum and wish i had been here longer. i am just wondering what all of you think about this one rare coin?

i have a really nice gem 09 svdb, but would give it up in a second for a nice 09 vdb matty.

as always thanks for the posts and all the usefull info...

adam

Comments

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your going to need a fist full of those 09 SVDB's to get a 09 VDB Matte!

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

Brother, it's anyone's guess as to how many matte VDBs are out there. The mintage is listed at 420 and PCGS has only graded 98 and that number is certainly high because of resubmissions.

I also think that any mattes that are not certified by now will have a low survival rate. As the current owners pass away, some of these coins will be taken to the local coin shops and will be lost.

Because of their low population, the demand from the registry sets alone will keep them scarce. When you add up the proof collectors, type collectors and the cent collectors who need a matte VDB, you can see the demand for those 98 coins. Remember, the coin must be in a PCGS slab to be in a PCGS registry set.

Certification has definately helped mattes. Before certification, most collectors were afraid of mattes because they are hard to tell from regular issues. Along comes certification with the expert's opinion and a whole new field has opened up. It's unleashed a pent up demand. When you add up the total certifications of the three major TPGs for the matte VDB, you have less than 150 ( again, that's a high number due to resubmits ).

When I looked at the whole picture, I knew that I had a small window to get my hands on a 1909 matte VDB. I was fortunate that one did come along at the right time for me and I was lucky enough to snare it. I think that these matte proof coins, especially the '09, which is also a type coin by itself, are going to go through the roof. If you know of one for sale and it's in your price range, I'd grab it now.

Now, let me finish this post by being very clear on one thing. I wanted that VDB for my collection, not as an investment. I don't invest in rare coins. I spent a lifetime in a factory working for a weekly paycheck and investing that money in stocks and real estate. I'm a firm believer that "you dance with the one that brought you" and coins are merely a hobby to me. I'm staying with stocks and real estate. That being said, everyone wants to make money in what they buy ( me too ) and if in the end, I get more for my coins than what I paid, great, but that's not the prerequisite for me.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Curly, I couldn't agree with you more concerning the 1909VDB Matte proof Lincoln cent and your collecting and investing philosophy. Adam, my guess is you CAN get a 1909 VDB Matte proof in a short time IF you are willing and able to pay the price. Just bid on that 64BN in the upcoming Fun show. It will cost you M O N E Y, but if you really want it and you can afford it, then you can get it IMHO. Again, my opinion, you will only be able to get one of these coins at an auction like the Heritage Fun show or by private treaty with some dealer on these boards. In either case you will pay at least market price for one.

Curly, Adam and all others. If you haven't ordered or gotton the new Dave Bowers book on the Lincoln Cents from Whitman publishing yet, get it and read it. It is really very up to date and the best book on Lincoln cents (INCLUDING EXTENSIVE COVERAGE OF MATTE PROOFS) that I have ever read.
    Steveimage
  • Options
    hey guys, thanks for the advice.

id like one not only for an investmentand for the coin itself. since i got hurt the only way i can really see making money is through some coins i buy. some others will be my core collection.

i hate having to split it like that, but with a wife a nd kid, i have to think long term and short term.

the 1909 vdb proof at fun is nice, but from what i learned here and else where recently, i could not part with the money that one will bring. to many spots and dark colors on it.

i only ask because if the price is going to shoot up to unobtainable prices(for me) id rather pick one up and wait on the rest. i really wish it was just for the coin but with this one i have to act quick i think

i dont want to wait a year and a 64br is the price of a 1914-d in a 65rd holder. id like to be able to say money isnt an issue but thats not the case. i can afford one if its nice enough. i just dont want to

have to settle for one thats not as nice as id like. the 1916 will be hard to i know, but the 09vdb has me a bit worried. i hear alot of claims of "this is the king of lincoln cents" but i think the real kink is

the 09 vdb... thanks again for all the help hee fellas,

truly a dedicated group of matte nuts here...

adam