Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Hypothetically...

Okay, you hypothetically have a mint state registry set and found an mint state error coin that would upgrade a particular date within the set.

Would PCGS allow the error coin to be entered into the set, or not?

Thanks!

Steve
U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.

Comments

• Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Hypothectically they would.

UPDATE:
    Okay, you hypothetically have a mint state registry set and found an mint state error coin that would upgrade a particular date within the set.

You can only add the coin once in any set.
    If it is an 'error'(?) coin, I believe it can be added to a set for 'Regular' dates, ala VAM's for Morgans, overdates, 1922 Pl, etc..

Can you be more specific on the hypothetical coin?
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    I think that would depend on what coin number it was given.
    I seem to recall a post on this forum in the past about PCGS not letting them place an error coin in a slot.
    I hope some one will remember, and let us know. It's a great question......
    Dan
  • Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    I would think you could send the coin back to PCGS for re-holder to remove the designation. This way you would have the proper coin number to use for the registry set but loose the Error / Variety designation.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I recall that Braddick was able to upgrade a coin in his set by using an error coin with a higher grade.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    stephunterstephunter Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Okay, you hypothetically have a mint state registry set and found an mint state error coin that would upgrade a particular date within the set.

Thanks!

Steve >>

Spill the beans. Did you pick up a nice error coin?
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know that because of the increased effective striking pressure, many off-center nickels have very full steps. I don't know if PCGS would hand out that designation to an error coin, though.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Thanks to all who responded... I've been offered a broadstrike nickel which would upgrade my set. I just want to make sure it would be included before I purchase the coin. Gonna pull the trigger.

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    "I just want to make sure it would be included before I purchase the coin. "

You should have just asked for the cert number and tried it in your set.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson