Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

I hit a milestone but have a long way to go

I am now at 80% completion of the 1966 baseball set in PSA 9 or 10. I currently have a GPA of 9.09. Only about $25000 more to finish.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that's an expensive project. Have you been acquiring most of your cards through eBay, other auction houses or your own submissions? You should add a link to your set (if it's open for viewing) so we can enjoy it. Did you go for the PSA 10 Sutton rookie that was auctioned awhile back?
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that is quite an acomplishment!!
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    gemint,
    almost all through ebay. one submission, one crossover a few from private purchase of people i have met along the way and a few auction house buys.

sadly i have kept it private due to one other collector who is at the top of the chart and gets a thrill of placing stink bids. he has done that so many times that he started a second collection which is way up there as well. i admire his collection and would love to discuss it with him, but he seems to hate the competition and is a collecting recluse. to each his own. he has purchcased some cards from me and is always a great ebayer if not a social person.

that being said i have made some good connections from many others on my journey and am a better person for it. so far it has taken me three years, but the road will travel slower now as i need more expensive cards.

i did not get the sutton. (yet!)
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Great job Frank!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Sir Czar, I'm very glad to see your set doing so well. I know you have worked very hard on it. It gets lonelier as you get to the top of the mountain, but the view is great and if you can help a few people arrive with you, then its all the better. A shared joy is a double joy.

I too have a few nice but lower priced sets and it seizes to amazing me , how up tight some of the other collectors are. There are some wonderful guys , like Eric Miller , Andy Sharp, Jared and John , all fellow collectors , that are in it for the fun, as I am, But others out there, that I thing believe some how their sets are anointed , that just make me shake my head, moon them, and then thank GOD they don't live anywhere near me.

This is about the fun of collecting, with others that have the same interest. If there is money at the end, then so be it. But for my money , I'll take the joy of the hunt, and the great guys that you meet along the way. Keep up the great job, Sonny

P.S. If you ever need an adopted son to put in your will, I'll do it for free.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    RobbyRobby Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    Frank
    Congrats on reaching 80% and having a healthy , robust GPA of 9.09 !!!!! If you haven't done so yet , don't forget about your free grades from Psa for reaching , and passing the 75% mark !
    As for keeping your set private , I agree with you 100% ! I've had my main set ( Robbie's 1964 Topps Set ) , private for the last two years ( I think I closed it after I reached the 70% mark ) and I am currently at 99.49% completion ! I've seen too many collectors get run up on the price of a card , because someone knows they need it ! I do have some team sets open in '64 thou !
    I've been seriously collecting my set since I joined Psa in 2003 , and I agree , that last 10% takes forever ! But then again , I'm a patient collector , and won't buy the grade , but rather how nice the card looks !
    Put me on your adoption list too !
    Dave ' Robbie' Robinsonimage
    Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set