Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Baseball 60's Olympics

We clearly are lacking in recent weeks of smack talk among us FB guys.
So I am just writing to point out to my good friend Dav, who does have one of if not the top collections of all time, that through taking advantage of the rules and the loop holes therein that I have caught him the 60's BB Olympics totals. Dav's sets are mostly 600 card high end monsters, mine are obscure small partials. But on that table it looks good to me. So Jim, I'm out here bragging for the breif moment that I have a chance.
Happy Holidays to you Fb Olympics maniacs.
Fuzz
Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.

Comments

• Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    This is unbelievable and I am glad it has been bought to my attention. Here I am working hard trying to complete my sets in psa 8 or better and actually succeeding on a couple and up comes Fuzzdude on a couple of sets that are probably obscure and catches me. I won't let this stand for long. image

Its bad enough I have to worry about Fuzzdude on all the obscure football sets from the 60s--now I have to worry about him in another sport.

My goal for 2008 will be to get back ahead of him in the 60s Olympics in Baseball and pass him in football. At least I know that he won't pass me in 2 60s football sets that real men collect where I have a 10.0. May have to take another look at those 67 Philadelphias that Art has.

Dav
  • Options
    nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    For those who aren't familiar with the olympics, here's the link: 1960's PSA Baseball Card Olympics.
  • Options
    Darn. That didn't last very long. I have not determined which Dav Mega-set has now broke through onto the charts yet but I will shortly. Congratulations, but I will be back.
    As for the 60's FB, I see you are being coached by Shoulda. Or at least you sound like it. He talks smack better than anybody I have heard in a while and as a hint, the louder he talks the less he holds. I am still waiting for him to over take my 66 T FB set that was promised a few years ago.
    I have an evil master plan to challenge The Empire within the next six months or so. Soooooo, if you want to pass me in 60's FB you might want to plan on 30 seomthing as a target. Heck, if you get that far, then you ought to just take out the Empire and I both and claim all the 60''s as rightfully yours.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Just a question but for someone like Levi and 707, why are his sets not all combined?
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    For the automatic compilation to work, the sets have to be named the same with the exception of a # (ie. Dav 1, Dav 2, etc.).
    Levi's sets I believe all have similar names but not exact.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Exactly.

That's why my random silver and bronze medals in sets that usually have as many participants as whatever place I'm in don't all combine.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Nick,
    You understand the game here perfectly. With a slight adjustment to the name, you can crush those larger collections and bring those guys down a place or two on the standings. My best medal is $6 - silver. I have one low grade card in a set where two are listed. Much much cheaper than some of those other medals I'm barely hanging onto.
    Fuzz
  • Options
    I guess I was confused on to the point. I thought it was to show who had the best set collection from the 60's. I guess it would take alot of time to sort everyone into one name but that would be a more complete list.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    I have a bronze in the '60s baseball Olympics that cost me $5 (1 card). In the '70s baseball Olympics, I have a gold and a bronze that cost me $5 each (1 card each). In '80s football, I have a gold that cost me somewhere between $6 and $9 (2 cards).

I'm waiting for the Player Set Olympics. image

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Morgoth,
    We have pretty much already decided that it is Don Spence, Jim Crandall, and everyone else a distant thrid (hope I didn't miss anyone).
    I certainly wouldn't use this that way or take it two seriously.
    As Nick pointed out, you can make a lot of headway on the list for a little money.
    This is just for fun.
    Fuzz
  • Options
    There are 30 sets showing in the '60s baseball Olympics where 1 card would give you a medal right now. I can actually relist a few of those sets where I dropped off due to being below 10% and not updating within a year.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

• Options
    I was just wondering, no disrespect. I never got into the Olympic threads before and was just feeling it out. I will never have a medal for any set I collect so unless I pop some roids or rob a bank I am a bench warmer.
  • Options
    Morgoth,
    Look back at the earlier posts in this thread. Nick also has highlighted the loophole in the "Game" here that we play.
    In 60's FB, there are currently 13 sets in which one card would medal. One of them would be Gold. If you were to buy one low grade card from each of those sets you would have 13 medals and be in third place of the 50 or so listed. Ahead of the mighty Dav. In 60's FB MOSH and Dav are clearly the lead dogs, there are some other strong players like FabFrank, Skinsfan, WolfBear, Nearmint, Shoulda, Wang and a host of others. But there is room as you see and for $100 or $200 you could climb higher than you think if spent well.
    In 70's BB, I probably have not spent more than a few hundred to climb to the top of the chase pack. At least in the top five.
    If you want to play, it doesn't have to cost a lot. We all do not have six figure a year collecting budgets (though some listed here do). I encourage to watch how Nick does over the next few weeks as he relists some cards he has. It will be interesting.
    If you want to play, you are welcome. If you just want to talk smack, please feel free. Nearmint has made the rules here as inclusive as possible. I think the guys here would be interested in how you could do one a $100 budget for example.
    Fuzz
  • Options
    While we're at it, how about an '80s baseball Olympics? image

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

• Options
    shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
    Hey Fuzzy,

So what you're saying is that ..... grown men should sandbag 1 card sets and look for loop holes in order to win virtual medals, for a virtual Olympics contest, that some virtual guy named Nearmint Mike (that only collects Mint cards, mind you) created .... all so we can brag and talk smack about how much money we overspent on little pieces of cardboard, with pictures of guys on them?

That about sum it all up? imageimage

PS - Ok, I'm in!!! I'll make sure I change all of my football sets over to the same name when I load up these 25 new oddball sets I'm getting graded next month. I'll even let you pick out the new name for them all Fuzz .... since I'll probably be blowing past you again! Yee Haaaaaa!

- ShouldabeenaSanta

"Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a cool website even though I have no medals. It would be cool if you can link the 'set' and the three medal winning categories to the actual set on the registry. For example, the '1969 Basic' set listing could link to the registry list of all sets registered under that category. Then the top three sets could be linked under those categories. Not sure how hard this would be to implement.
  • Options
    Shouldabeena,
    Perfect summation.
    Where else could a guy with a crappy little collection like mine stand a chance of competing against the powerhouses of this hobby?
    I have one mainstream 60's BB Gold medal. I have more into that set than any car I have ever owned....... and I drive a nice car. Guys like Dav and Spence have dozens of those. I got kids to feed.

I always thought you didn't name your sets the same so that it was harder to figure out what you are up to these days. In a prior post, I think I got you with about 80 sets or so at the time. That sounds like quite a collection even if they are round. I believe that if you did name all of yours the same, the world would realize that you are trying to remain a stealth collecting powerhouse. The Fuzz network has found you out.

Merry Christmas,
    Fuzz
  • Options
    I just checked Mike.
    You now have 95 sets listed.
    You are gaining rapidly on Dav and the empire.
    I think you shoulda plan on bringing both of them down.
    Fuzz
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Fuzz,

Just so you don't think I am solely focused on 60s football, I am waging a multi-front battle and will shortly knock you from number one in 60s baseball in the 62 Baseball Bucks set where I am submitting my entire raw set. Alan Rosen tiold me my Bucks were Mint but even if they aren't I think I have I will have a comfortable lead after I submit. I think that would make it 17/17.

Dav
  • Options
    Dav,
    Good Luck on your sub. They are very tough on the issue. I submitted nearly 20 from recently opened 62 FB packs and did not draw a single 8. A bunch of 9oc's though. Your set still should easily take over first and could lead to a certificate as well.
    I hope you put it in on a rush basis or I am afraid that maybe you be a bit late. There are several sets that have been requested that could tip the scale back the other way and a few more that will be requested soon. Apparently the target does not set still.
    Good Luck with the assualt.
    Don''t forget about MOSH and the 50's FB
    Fuzz