Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

With New Year approaching - what's your best acquisition of 2007?

It's been a busy numismatic year for many of us. Let's see some of your best/coolest acquisitions.

For me, it would have to be a Central American Republic 8 Reales I've purchased from Bill (WWW):

Comments

• Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭
    This coin is not only the best Nova Scotia bronze coin I own, it is the most magnificent Victorian bronze I have ever seen. Two grades higher than any other PCGS 1861. A slight turning of the toning from original to orange makes it a RB instead of red. I haven't tried to cross it, but it easily meets the ICCS standard for red. The surfaces are the best I have seen for the era. Even much better in hand. Paid serious money for it in a lesser attended auction and got it for a song. A major league coin and maybe the best coin that I own.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    Several come to mind, but my most recent makes me smile wide!

• Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Actually, much of 2007 has been spent selling off a lot of my Darkside material, along with buying a lot of stuff for resale.

There have been a few great pickups that I'm actually keeping though:

imageimage

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    I have made some extremely good buys this year, but this one stands out as the best by far. This was a once in a lifetime deal.

1889 Royal Agricultural Society Exhibition at Windsor

The show was held in Windsor Great Park from the 24th to 29th of June 1889. The Prince of Wales acted on behalf of Queen Victoria who was President of the Society for that year. The Queen attended on the 27th and 28th and also knighted the Director of the Show on the 30th. The medal is hollow and was made in two halves, making this an unusual British medal for that period. It was designed and executed by Countess F. Gleichen. The reference for the medal is BHM#3379 and is shown only as being struck in bronze. It is also designated as very rare. 77mm dia and it weighs 114.3grams. It has a NAVY blue leather medal case... on the top it has a gilt CROWN.

This medal is solid 22kt GOLD. It was presented to the Director when he was Knighted by the Queen, making this medal unique. This is the center piece for my Victoria Medals collection.

Poor scan and description left the ebay price less than $300, he thought it was bronze, and so did the rest of the bidders evidently.image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AR denarius of Otho (15 January-16 April, 69 AD), ex-Harlan J. Berk.

Hmm. I see that yesterday was the anniversary of the beginning of Otho's very short reign.

PS- nice idea, a "year in review" thread. Thanks, Roman.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Easy one..my 60th birthday present...I call it the "Pride of Warwickshire."
    Much nicer in hand than in this mediocre scan, which sorta mutes the bling factor.
    Hope all of "you and yours" have a very happy holiday season and a great '08!
    Tom

I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy them too soon.

Proud (but humbled) "You Suck" Designee, February 2010.
  • Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    Hands down my 1914 German 1 mark with BEAUTIFUL die cracks... I want repost the pics but I'll post the link to my original post! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
    German 1 Mark wit Die Cracks
    Todd
  • Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    I acquired several high quality and historical gold pieces this past year (English Gold Noble (MS62), Spainish 2 Excellentes (AU-58), Austria/Salzburg 1782M Ducat (AU Cleaned), French 1812A 40 Francs (MS-62), 1932 SA Sovereign (MS-64)),
    but the single coin that I wasn't looking for but just happened across that was a very rare find at a very fair price and would have to be considered my "best" acquisition has to be this one:

Type: 1807 2 Ducat
    Grade: NGC MS 62
    Coin Information:
    Design: OBVERSE: : Legend around inner circle with standing knight in full armor holding a sword and a sheaf of arrows. The arrows signify the unity of the northern provinces which banded together and signed the union of Utrecht in 1579, which was there declaration of independence from Spain. Legend – “CONCORDIA RES PARVAE CRESUNT” translates “Union Makes Small Things Grow” ~ REVERSE: Legend or motto on tablet. “MONETA ORDINUM PROVINCIARUM FOEDERATARUM BELGII AD LEGEM IMPERII” translates “Coin of the Provinces of the United Netherlands According To The Law of The Empire”
    Mint: ???
    Mintage: 156,000
    References: KM# 27 / Fr.324 / Delmonte #1175 - Rarity Scale = R.2 (Very Rare)
    Specifications: 27mm / 7.000 g. @ .9860 Gold = .2218 oz AGW
    Acquired: October 2007
    Notes:
    Ø Issued under French control of the United Netherlands by Louis Napoleon (Brother of Napoleon Bonaparte)
    Ø Also called a "double ducat" (Delmonte)
    Ø This coin is exactly double the weight of the ducat and identical in its design.

• Options
    these are two of my favorites

• Options
    pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    Although this coin is nothing compared with many of the other coins I see here, it's a nice new addition to my silver britannia collection:

Seller's photos; mine isn't here yet.
    imageimage

I hope to move into British coins with a little more history under their belts soon, so maybe next year I'll have something a little more substantive to brag about.
  • Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful coins everyone. This is going to be a fun thread to watch.
    Roman, I am very happy that you like the 1824 CAR 8R.
    For me, it has to be this Basel City View from cacheman:

Basel City View Taler
    1756, Silver, 42mm, 25.9g., VZ-ST (AU55), KM 157, Davenport 1751
    Obverse: BASILEA over City View. In exergue, 1756 divide by organic ornamentation. 'H' to the right

Reverse: DOMINE CONSERVA NOS IN PACE (Lord, Preserve us in Peace), Basilisk and City shield.

Edge: Collar struck city slogan 'CONCORDIA FIRMAT VIRES' (Agreement Strengthens the Men).

This stunning piece is several minute hairlines away from ST perfection. Proof-like fields, particularly on the city view side, make this a particularly desirable piece.
    A soft strike known to exist with Basel coins is barely evident on both sides. The city view has been rendered in a light, lacy, and ethereal view.
    Hand selected from a sale in Sweden this would be a lovely and particulaly pleasing addition to any discerning collection of late 18th century European CV talers.
  • Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    I'd have to pick this medal. This design has been posted here a couple of times and it was one that helped get me interested in papal medals when I saw it, so I'm glad to have been able to finally obtain an example.

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    I am always amazed to see the stunning coins that people post. Here were my 2 highlights for the year.

1675 Piastra - Clement X Scudo / Papal States - DAV-4078
    imageimage

1715 Sede Vacante taler from Osnabruck (DAV-2504 )
    imageimage
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice coins, all.

Numismatically, I added 3 Canadian tough date gold pieces to my Registry sets:

1914 $10, 1913C Sovereign, 1880 Newfie $2

As a collector this was by far the best thing I purchased for 2007!

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    This is my very first ancient coin. I would deem it my most important aquisition of the year, as it has sparked a serious interest in ancients, and a renewed interest in history itself.
    I've collected trading cards in the past, and graduated to US coins, and now am gaining interest in ancients. It's always nice to find a sort of renewal in a hobby, or a refreshing new twist.
    Thanks for asking!image
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    imageimage

This fantastic Egyptian crown below, from the Heaton mint's collection was later resold to acquire the 1833 5 drs above.Honouring the brief time I owned it, (a purchase from Teller last January in NY) ,here's a photo of this AH1293/4H 20q NGC MS66, now in the caring hands of a very knowledgeable crown collector:

imageimage

Another milestone purchase, via trade with another collector was Cyprus' 1901 18 piastres PCGS MS66, superb colours and really a proof, the fourth and final coin for my proof set of that date.No photo unfortunately, not yet, but here's the 3 piastres from this very rare and well matched set:

imageimage

I also became very fond of this Turkish AH1277/4 10 para PR66BN . Initially bought for later resale or trade, it looks like it will stay with me for a while:

Generally, it's been a very active year in buying, the most active I can remember since 2000.
    The low USD was a very important factor in this, so it looks like 2008 won't be bad either.
    Several important sales and trades too, mostly privately, in euros, and minors via ebay.

My final and perhaps best purchases of this year, including Swiss and Ionian beauties, will be posted in a later thread, now on their way to Newport beach. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Most of my best buys were US national bank notes. But, after over 30 years of thinking about it, I finally got serious about collecting Parthian coins. At this point I have most of the rulers covered. My most exciting buy was to be able to put together this pair of Mithradates II tetradrachms. They seem to be exactly the same variety, but the left one is a contemporary (likely celtic) imitation.

What fun and worth the wait!

imageimage

imageimageimageimage
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭
    My busiest collecting year ever, which is a good thing. My soft spot goes to this nifty little Salzburg Klippe, which is much nicer in hand (fairly clear fields, slightly blue toning in addition to what's visable).

Of course, my collection also extends from the sublime to the ridiculous. I couldn't say no to this gold-plated monstrosity.

Now if I can just get my 12 year old son to expand his horizons beyond lightside coins, it'll be even better.

(Edited to fix the spelling errors I could find.)

"The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>imageimage
    >>

Now THAT is a sweet coin! Probably cost as much as my house. image
  • Options
    That's why we build an inventory Dan, to trade and not have to sell our houses. image

BTW, I'm happy to see the Belgian franc among your favourites this year. It came from MrEureka row, in NYINC.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    not sure yet... the year is not over yet...image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Maybe not my "best" acquisition this year, but one of the only ones I have a photo of (and a borrowed photo at that).

Recent addition to the small, but growing pre-revolutionary Cuban collection:

imageimage

Happy holidays all!

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although I bought some nice playthings this year, I wasn't able to find anything of consequence for my one "serious collection", my collection of Central American Republic Gold. There was just nothing out there worth buying. Funny thing is, I like it that way. I don't want it to be too easy.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Bump to the top for all the world to see these beauties!
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    Extremely rare and nearly unheard-of in this condition (NGC PF64 cameo). I don't think I'll ever get a chance at another like this:

imageimage
  • Options
    Wow Chuck! Apparently your numismatic angel had a master plan and did not let you win the Eliasberg coin in order to get this one. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow Chuck! Apparently your numismatic angel had a master plan and did not let you win the Eliasberg coin in order to get this one. image >>

Thanks, D! Looks like we both had a good year for nice coin buys. image
  • Options
    A few more days left to add your picks!
  • Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    I kinda like this one...

• Options
    MeijiMeiji Posts: 170 ✭✭
    Some of my best buys:

• Options
    Gorgeous Madrid 8 Reales, Meiji! It would look nice in my collection image
  • Options
    MeijiMeiji Posts: 170 ✭✭
    Kekeke, thanks. I won it for 100 Euros
  • Options
    1784 Germany Hannover 1/6th Thaler "wildman"
    My fav coin this year!

Todd
  • Options
    It's difficult to think of one particular purchase that stands out this year, it's been more of a year of consolidation, a few upgrades, a few more gaps filled.

Three that come to mind are the 1913 1 penny F176, not the best of condition but for £0.99 ($2) it was a steal ( books at about £80). A very nice Peck 2390 Brass 3d that completes my 3d set. I paid book for this one but they are oh so hard to find, took me 2 years. And of cause the 3d in my avatar. This one has been with the Royal Mint since late June being investigated. It may turn out to be something quite exciting...or not.

imageimage

imageimage

• Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    Here are a few of mine image -Preussen

"Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    A late trade from Lord Marcovan (thanks!) which arrived after my first post. I'd consider it my first real step into the darkside...

Charles II Groat from 1679

• Options
    Here is another image . -Preussen

• Options
    Wow, Preussen.... You suck! image
  • Options
    Everytime he post a coin I can just hear him in th background saying, "nananabooboo I got nice coins and yours suck!!!"
    Todd
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, Preussen.... You suck! image >>

image -Preussen
  • Options
    JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I kinda like this one...

image >>

Spectacular!

• Options
    I agree - beautiful 2- excellente!
  • Options

With my ability to seek out British waning (hard to find or $$$$$) I picked up a handful of Ancients to add here are two of them I really like, the rest can be seen at my WEB site.

400-350 BC AR Stater Istros Thrace

222-235 AD AR Denarius Severus Alexander

• Options
    Wow, beautiful Severus Alexander Denarius! Fantastic photos, as well.
  • Options
    dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    I have recently started gaining interest in 8 reales.

I purchased my first graded world coin, 1805 MO TH Mexico 8reales.
    Hopefully there is more to come in 2008.

• Options

<< <i>Wow, beautiful Severus Alexander Denarius! Fantastic photos, as well. >>

imageimage -Preussen
  • Options
    dizzlecc, nice 8 Reales. I've never heard of the "wide date" 1805, myself image
  • Options
    Has to be this one...