Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

1793 Cent - A Classic Coin Question

I was just admiring some of the early Mint sets in the Registry and I came across one of the 1793 Mint sets that had a VF35RB cent in the slot.

How far down the grading scale can the RED BROWN designation logically be in your opinion?

Wondercoin
Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it goes all the way down on copper copper coins, but I am not sure. It's not like FB don dimes or FH on quarters, but I seen those on AU coins of both denoms.
  • Options
    Mitch,

Just a wrong PCGS No. assigned (remember my 1922 No D VG10RD Lincoln?).

I think that RB doesn't really go below AU.
  • Options

<< <i> How far down the grading scale can the RED BROWN designation logically be in your opinion?

I think that RB doesn't really go below AU. >>

I'm pretty sure that PCGS believes RB to be appropriate only for coins graded MS60 and above;
    below the uncirculated grades, PCGS now considers a red-brown designation to be a "mistake."
    I am not kidding,

G99G
    I collect 20-slab, blue plastic PCGS coin boxes. To me, every empty box is like a beating heartimage NOT.

People come up sometimes, and ask me, G99G, are you kidding? And I answer them no, I am NOT KIDDING.

Every empty box?
    C'mon!
  • Options
    i have seen au 55 red before on a newer lincoln cent, ill see if i can find out more...
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭
    I have an AU58 RB 1859 Canada cent in a PCGS holder.
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options

<< <i>I have an AU58 RB 1859 Canada cent in a PCGS holder. >>

I have a VF30 RB 1793 Cohen-1 half cent in a PCGS holder,
    now on consignment and open for bidding at the January FUN.

To check it out, click on the link below:
    1793 Half Ct. w/ RB 1001 PCGS coin #

Heritage describes the coin correctly as brown,
    they show the population numbers for brown,
    and they even show the correct coin number (#1000),
    but they also show the slab photo, unmistakably reading coin #1001 (which is RB).

I am not kidding,

G99G
    I collect 20-slab, blue plastic PCGS coin boxes. To me, every empty box is like a beating heartimage NOT.

People come up sometimes, and ask me, G99G, are you kidding? And I answer them no, I am NOT KIDDING.

Every empty box?
    C'mon!
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dbemike has a 1936 DDO coin in his set that is graded XF RED!!!!

These are misprints folks .... move along ... nothing to see here ......
    Doug
  • Options
    dbemikedbemike Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭
    Also have the undergrade of the same coin in VF35RD...its a mechanical error, just not worth sending to PCGS to have it corrected on my particular coins. Although in the registry you do get the bonus points for RD designation.

Mike
  • Options
    Also have an XF40RD 22 No D.