Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Statehood Quarter Registry Set updates

This is great news!!

=====================================
EMAIL FROM BJ:

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday we updated the statehood quarter basic set to require both the circulation strike and satin finish coins. In addition, we added two new set composites: the circulation strike only and the satin finish only statehood quarters. This is consistent with the Presidential dollar series and several other modern coin series that will be updated in the near future.

With our overnight data run, the coins you had listed in your basic set filtered to the appropriate slot. Now, if you have additional coins in your inventory to add to your set, you can do it in the normal way.

Should you have any questions, please feel free to email me. Thank you and happy holidays!

BJ Searls

Set Registry Manager

512.420-8805 Fax

www.pcgs.com (coins)

www.pcgscurrency.com (currency)

www.psacard.com (cards/memorabilia/autographs)

www.psestamp.com (stamps)

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exactly what a number of us have been lobbying for! Good job.

By the way, I have all the proposed pricing figures for year 2000 state quarters finished now and 100% approval from Doug Rall. Anyone interested in knowing these proposed figures before they get presented to the Price Guide editor can call me today.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't see this thread and created another.

I hate it. Will either need to sell the set or buy more holders.

Guess it is time to go back to collecting coins in Dansco's.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭
    Dansco's are old school.

Belly up to the bar gentleman.

The PCGS Registry is making some great changes and the majority are liking it.

• Options

<< <i>Dansco's are old school.

Belly up to the bar gentleman.

The PCGS Registry is making some great changes and the majority are liking it.

image >>

Especially PCGS. I now have to buy 40 additional coins to get to the same point I was at two days ago. Makes no sense to me. Why can't they create a date/mint mark set for people who have been collecting this way for the last 30 years?
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BJ,

This *()&^%#@!@$&amp;^()(&%$$# You probably get my point!!!!! I do not want to have to go back and buy all the previous years coins in NON-SATIN Finish to have a complete set at 100%!!!. That is 30 coins and will be quite expensive. I don't care if you have the new sets as is BUT you should also have one set from 1999-present that will take SF or MS coins for the years of 2005-present. Having 2 sets from 1999-2004 & 2005 to present is STUPID!!! I will be deleting all my sets that this occurs in. THIS IS STUPID!!!!!

I realize you can't please all the people all the time BUT THIS #@$%&amp;()&%#!#&)_)(&%#@#%&amp;())

GARY D HOOP

GDH Sets

JMHO --- which with that and $6 BUCKS you can get a cup of coffee at StarBucks!!!!! image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    Gary - Didn't PCGS add new sets while maintaining the prior state quarter sets that existed at the beginning of this year?

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Mitch,

Not that I can see? I looked real close and don't see it. My quarter set is now only 80% complete. I hope this is just an OVERSIGHT on PCGS part?

GrandAm image
  • Options
    The "way it was supposed to work" was as follows:

A. The old set remain exactly as it was so no one was impacted.

B. New sets to be added for straight BS, straight SF and a combo set.

This is what I "pitched" to PCGS as did Doug Rall. We jointly "orchestrated" the idea to resolve any concerns that the BS coins did not have a home and to give all collectors an alternative - again, without affecting the existing registry set to that point.

So, what happened?

Wondercoin

• Options
    Mitch,

You may want to check the "NEWS" page on the registry.

12/14/07
    Updates to the Statehood Quarter category
    The basic set has been updated to include both the circulation strike and satin finish examples.

The following set composites are new:
    Washington Statehood Quarters Basic Set, Circulation Strikes (1999-2008)
    Washington Statehood Quarters Basic Set, Satin Finish (2005-2008)
  • Options

<< <i>A. The old set remain exactly as it was so no one was impacted. >>

This makes sense and is exactly what I lobbied for in another thread a few weeks ago. I don't know remember what the thread was titled? I'm sure someone will remember it?

Now I have calculated what I need to be at 100% in my sets and it is as follows:

STATEHOOD QUARTERS = 30 coins + 10 coins for 2008 = 40 coins

SAC DOLLARS = 6 coins + 2 coins for 2008 = 8 coins

Jefferson Nickels = 8 coins + 2 coins for 2008 = 10 coins but I have 3 Nickels sets so it is 30 coins!!!!

TOTAL COINS now needed = 78 COINS!!!!

Hey Buddy can you spare a slab???? image

GrandAm image
  • Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭
    SO, it looks like you can have the
    business strike only set

or

the satin Only set

or

the everything set.

That should be alright.
    I see that the difference for the State quarter sets is that many only have the satins for 2005 on.
    Now they need all of the business strikes.

The Presidential Dollars got modified BEFORE the satins tool hold as either/or slots in the sets.

Now what?
    I like it, but I had most of the business strikes on hand when the change was made.
  • Options
    I emailed BJ on this and also asked for a set to match the set that has been there for 8+ years. She said they thought long and hard and decided to change it.

I would bet if they added a Date/MM set (the set that existed a week ago) along with the other 3 sets, it would be the most popular by a long shot.

I do not have a problem with them making a BS only set (it has been asked for), I just cannot figure out why they had to take away the current set everyone was using. Nothing like changing the rules mid stride and forcing people to either buy more coins or just quit the stupid thing. Not sure they even considered the people who will choose option 2.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did anybody even bother making late date issues like Kansas, West Virginia, and North and South Dakotas. And how does this correllate with the 1932 to Date Washington Circulation Strikes sets?
    A few of use collect Washingtons: Silver, Clad, and State.
  • Options
    This is great news. It benefits those of us who collect what we WANT to collect and not those who collect what pcgs TELLS them to collect.
  • Options

<< <i>It benefits those of us who collect what we WANT to collect and not those who collect what pcgs TELLS them to collect. >>

I realize that PCGS was TRYING to do the right thing here and allow those who worked hard to collect all the circulation strike coins and give them a home and the recognition that those coins deserve,,, image

BUT,,,,,,, and ain't there always a BUT,,,, they have now went 180 degrees in the opposite direction and are forcing everyone who had a 100% complete set as it was who had Satin Finish Coins from 2005-2007 to now purchase 40 circulation strike coins to keep their set at 100% complete if you want it all together as ONE set to view on-line.

How is this benefitting me? It is not allowing ME to collect what I want to collect. I wanted a set of StateHood Quarters 1 coin P & D for all 50 states. I don't want duplicates from 2005-2008! image

As dbldie55 has stated a date/mintmark set IS the correct answer. What I am asking for is the same set we had a week ago,,,, give those of us who want it this set and keep all the new sets and I think everyone would be happy!!!image

Heck,,,, there are NINE different sets for The Presidential Dollars that were just started this year. Surely one more set,,,,, THE ORIGINAL SET for StateHood Quarters is not too much to ask for???

GrandAm image
  • Options

<< <i>This is great news. It benefits those of us who collect what we WANT to collect and not those who collect what pcgs TELLS them to collect. >>

You are going to have to explain this one. The previous set allowed you to put the coin you wanted in the slot. Now, you have to go back and get the coin PCGS wants you to have.

I would like PCGS to tell us how removing one of the most popular registry sets makes good business sense to them.
  • Options
    I am glad they finally saw the light.
  • Options

<< <i>I am glad they finally saw the light. >>

You didn't like the date/mintmark set? This was one of the most popular sets in the registry, what about the near 200 collectors doing this set?

Are there any other registry sets you feel PCGS should eliminate since you do not like them?
  • Options

<< <i>I am glad they finally saw the light. >>

Why are you glad? I just checked your sets and you don't even have a StateHood Quarter Set?

GrandAm image
  • Options

<< <i><< I am glad they finally saw the light. >>

Why are you glad? I just checked your sets and you don't even have a StateHood Quarter Set? >>

So are you saying that you have to have your set in the PCGS Registry in order to have a valid set? I have read some post in this thread that the authors are unhappy because their sets are not now 100% complete and that PCGS changed the rules on the "basic circulation strike sets". If you didn't have the circulation strike coins from 2005 - present, then your set was never 100% complete in the fist place

Now PCGS is just allowing the collector a chance to keep all of the "brothers" togother for the first time.

I have also read some posts that the authors may just delete their sets instead of having both the “satin finish” and “business strikes” for 2005 to present. Talk about the “proverbial five year old, if I can’t have my way then I will take my toys and go home.image

The question that I have is, how can you have a complete set of circulation strike Washington Quarters without haveing the coins that were minted for the purpose of circulation? image
  • Options

<< <i>The question that I have is, how can you have a complete set of circulation strike Washington Quarters without haveing the coins that were minted for the purpose of circulation? >>

You call what you want to as complete and all I ask is to do the same. I am not trying to deny anyone what they want in their set.

Changing the rules 8 yrs after the fact is what I don't like. To me there isn't a enough difference between the Satin Finish coins and the circulation strike coins to justify purchasing these coins. Therefore I will delete the set rather than purchase an additional 40 coins. If that is taking my toys and going home then I will see you later,,,,,,, but and their is always a but,,,,, I will wait awhile to see how it plays out.

There were alot of people that were upset for 2 yrs because the Circulation Strikes Coins were out-weighted by the SF coins which were cheaper and easier to obtain thus diminishing their circulation strike coins value point wise in the registry. I simply think I should be able to view my set all together as complete and not as 2 seperate sets.

I believe that PCGS will correct this shortly but that isn't my call. I am just expressing my opinion as I have a set and feel it is my right to do so.

PCGS needs to know the problem before they can do anything about it.

Maybe I was a little to passionate about it but that is who I am. image

GrandAm
  • Options

<< <i>The question that I have is, how can you have a complete set of circulation strike Washington Quarters without haveing the coins that were minted for the purpose of circulation? >>

Tim it looks like this with only a few holes to fill. Quarters.
  • Options
    Again, this was never the intention of either myself, Donn or Doug (or anyone else I know that had written PCGS on the subject) when we presented PCGS the case for the state quarters having a stand alone business strike set and a stand alone SF set. Indeed, just the opposite... we all clearly stated that PCGS should not touch the set that had existed for 8 years and had about 200 players. Anyone wanting to write BJ and/or DH asking them to reconsider this action can certainly add to their email that it was never the intention of myself, Donn or Doug to remove the original state quarter set with the "either/or" option.

That said.... I might suggest that those not interested in adding the extra state quarters reconsider. First, it is very cool to have nice examples of both SF and BS coins as they are so different from one another. Second, prices on the BS coins are much more affordable than you might imagine. You can get nice MS67 examples of many (if not nearly all) of the BS coins for roughly $25-$50/coin. Even cheaper for MS66 examples. The combination of the (2) different varieties of coins make for a very neat collection.

Wondercoin
  • Options

<< <i>Even cheaper for MS66 examples. The combination of the (2) different varieties of coins make for a very neat collection. >>

Actually Mitch some of my MS66 Business Strikes cost more than the TOP POP Satins. But as you said they are not out of reach of most collectors and with the addition of them to the sets more will be made most likely. And yes they are definably two different coins and make for a neat complete set.

• Options

<< <i>You call what you want to as complete and all I ask is to do the same. I am not trying to deny anyone what they want in their set. >>

Fair enough!

<< <i>Changing the rules 8 yrs after the fact is what I don't like. To me there isn't a enough difference between the Satin Finish coins and the circulation strike coins to justify purchasing these coins. Therefore I will delete the set rather than purchase an additional 40 coins. If that is taking my toys and going home then I will see you later,,,,,,, but and their is always a but,,,,, I will wait awhile to see how it plays out. ext >>

Let us not re – write history here. No one is changing the rules after eight year. 2 ½ years ago, when the 2005 satin finish coins came out of the US Mint, PCGS thought that the “either / or” policy would handle the situation (to call this a 8 year rule is a stretch, a long reach)image

I hope no one deletes their sets over this, but guess people will do what they feel they have too.

<< <i>I believe that PCGS will correct this shortly but that isn't my call. I am just expressing my opinion as I have a set and feel it is my right to do so. >>

Yes, and it took PCGS 2 1/2 years to correct the "either / or" policy. Both types of coins (satin finish and business strike) are unique and should be treated as individuals. If the coins were not unique, then PCGS would have used the same coin number for them.

Just for info, me and my son had to list the set we wanted in the "Showcase" in order to get the set to look the way we wanted itimage So it is possible to display the set that you want even though it is not so to say, in the Registry.image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>You call what you want to as complete and all I ask is to do the same. I am not trying to deny anyone what they want in their set. >>

Fair enough!

<< <i>Changing the rules 8 yrs after the fact is what I don't like. To me there isn't a enough difference between the Satin Finish coins and the circulation strike coins to justify purchasing these coins. Therefore I will delete the set rather than purchase an additional 40 coins. If that is taking my toys and going home then I will see you later,,,,,,, but and their is always a but,,,,, I will wait awhile to see how it plays out. ext >>

Let us not re – write history here. No one is changing the rules after eight year. 2 ½ years ago, when the 2005 satin finish coins came out of the US Mint, PCGS thought that the “either / or” policy would handle the situation (to call this a 8 year rule is a stretch, a long reach)image

I hope no one deletes their sets over this, but guess people will do what they feel they have too.

<< <i>I believe that PCGS will correct this shortly but that isn't my call. I am just expressing my opinion as I have a set and feel it is my right to do so. >>

Yes, and it took PCGS 2 1/2 years to correct the "either / or" policy. Both types of coins (satin finish and business strike) are unique and should be treated as individuals. If the coins were not unique, then PCGS would have used the same coin number for them.

Just for info, me and my son had to list the set we wanted in the "Showcase" in order to get the set to look the way we wanted itimage So it is possible to display the set that you want even though it is not so to say, in the Registry.image >>

So we should be happy that PCGS removed a registry set that 200 people participated in and create a "Showcase" set to replace it"? I have no problem with them adding new sets, I just want to read even one reason why they had to remove a set to add the new ones.
  • Options

<< <i>So we should be happy that PCGS removed a registry set that 200 people participated in and create a "Showcase" set to replace it"? I have no problem with them adding new sets, I just want to read even one reason why they had to remove a set to add the new ones. >>

What set did PCGS remove? the answer is none. There was a set purporting to be circulation strikes that they allowed the "either / or" policy of satin finish vs. business strikes in the Statehood quarters. Now instead of having a set that was mis leading in the title as to what it is, they added the words "Satin Finish" and required both coins from 2005 on. Looks to me like PCGS just made the set more accurately fit the title.

Who said collecting a series of coins, any series, was suppose to be easy? If you just want an example of each type, date and mintmark then I guess it might be easier if you don’t care what grade it is.

Even when the “either / or” policy was first introduced in late 2005, Mitch started a thread in the Registry forum if it was the right policy or not. Arguments were made for both sides of the discussion and some people took advantage of the cheap price on business strike coins, some of the makers / dealers of the coins were not happy with the prices realized on the business strike coins, but that was business. Now it looks like this situation has come “full circle” and the business strike issues are finally getting their due.

The “orphans” have come home. image
  • Options
    "Now it looks like this situation has come “full circle” and the business strike issues are finally getting their due."

Yes, and, the SF are also getting their "due". Should a 2007 MS70 SF coin get slabbed any time soon, it could sell for as much, if not more, than virtually any BS state quarter has ever sold for dated 2005-07! Good movement for both SF and BS quarters. Ditto for all other series as well - ex: that SF MS70FB dime and what it will likely fetch here soon -more than nearly any BS dime from 1965-date!

Wondercoin.
  • Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    The way I see it the Either / Or was a quick temporary fix until PCGS made their final discussion, took a bit long but it has been done. Now the original State Quarter set is back to the way it was originally started as Circulation strike. And they have created enough sets to go around, Good job PCGS !!!!!

<< <i>ex: that SF MS70FB dime and what it will likely fetch here soon -more than nearly any BS dime from 1965-date! >>

I agree and probably a bit more than you first tried to play it down to

What was it?? Oh yea,

<< <i>I believe the Price Guide is setting the price of the Jeff $1 MS70 around $3,500 this week. The dime mght be about as desireable as the $1 the way I see it. >>

• Options
    Mas - I did not play it down - I responded to MARK's assessment of value on the coins. On top of that, the most expensive BS clad dime I know of has never sold for more than $3,500 or so (and that will likely change once JHF's set is sold). But, at this point, even if Seth's dime were to fetch "a mere $4,000" it would still have sold for more than any BS clad dime I recall (anyone can correct my recollection here if I am mistaken).

So, my comment is not intended to either "play it down" or "boost it up".

Wondercoin

• Options
    Lindedad - Here, for example are 2 of the tougher SF MS67 coins (pop on MS68 is 0 on one coin and 1 on the other!) in the entire 2005-2007 series. Last sale on ebay I saw was less than $50/coin on these. Hence, my comment.

MS67 "BS" State Quarters

Wondercoin

P.S. - Edited to add - Mas, Pine Valey, Coinfame, etc also have these coins for sale, in addition to the ad I just linked of board member notwilight.

• Options
    Mitch. Shhhh I had them on my watch list, I also found some 66's but did not want to let the cat out of the bag that I was shopping. And with the Xmass shopping have to look for bargains when we can.
    BTW are any of you making the Utah's in business strike yet. I will want a pair of them in 66 or 67 depending on the price.

• Options
    Marks assessment

<< <i>Nice job Seth! What's up with the ten grand? I didn't even ask half that for my 2007-d Kennedy in 70 >>

I don't see where he put a price tag on the coin, just questioning the price and to let us know he may have given his Pop 1 07 D SF Kennedy away

The following post

<< I believe the Price Guide is setting the price of the Jeff $1 MS70 around $3,500 this week. The dime mght be about as desireable as the $1 the way I see it. >>

<< <i>So, my comment is not intended to either "play it down" or "boost it up". >>

Looks like the price point was placed here, no

<< <i>Here, for example are 2 of the tougher SF MS67 coins (pop on MS68 is 0 on one coin and 1 on the other!) in the entire 2005-2007 series. Last sale on ebay I saw was less than $50/coin on these. Hence, my comment. >>

Wonder.... why something like this would happen
  • Options
    "As pop 1/0 coins i would value the 3 2007 pcgs 70 SF coins as follows based upon popularity of the series and the propensity of buyers that collect those series to shell out serious funds for the coins: 2007-D jefferson presidential $6,000, 2007-D kennedy $5,000 and 2007-P Roosey $4,000 (at highest). I hope Seth finds a buyer at $10,000 for the coin as value is a personal thing. I do believe the coin will remain pop 1/0 as well as the others made but one never knows."

Mas - Perhaps you missed this post, which is what I was referring to.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    In all fairness, Mark's post of value came after yours Mitch.
    Seth
  • Options

<< <i>Perhaps you missed this post, which is what I was referring to. >>

No didn't miss it, just wanted to refresh what we read first

How old is the bottle of port going to be with today's lunch
  • Options
    Depends upon what year Griv will be drinking with his lunch! image

I see where we are with all this...

I commented dime should be around value of dollar
    Mark commented on differing levels of dime, half dollar & dollar
    Followed by thoughts that dollar should increase in guide above $3500 and is worth more.
    Then, by likely sale of dime now above original sale of dollar.
    In the end, dime should be around value of dollar, but sale of dime will likely show that dollar price needs to move up in Guide to at least match dime sales level.

Got it and all good. Green arrows in guide are far better than red ones!!

Wondercoin
  • Options
    What I meant, is I don't think many people would want to collect a state quarter set, half business strike and half satin finish (say if the registry didn't exist). I think most people only collected that way because that's the way pcgs made the reg set (to get highest possible rating).
  • Options

<< <i>What I meant, is I don't think many people would want to collect a state quarter set, half business strike and half satin finish (say if the registry didn't exist). I think most people only collected that way because that's the way pcgs made the reg set (to get highest possible rating). >>

Many well versed & knowledgeable collectors may be this way, however there are a significant # of collectors that prefer the Satin Finish coins to the Business Strikes. Based on the feedback we get and the amazing volume of sales from non registry collectors, I would tend to think the Satin Finish are every bit as popular, registry or not. Many collectors are not interested in the 69/70 Proof collecting and want more challenging rarity, so the Satin Finish gives them a superb coin where everyone isn't guaranteed a "perfect" set. There is also more protection from long term population growth versus Business Strikes. You can always find a brick to search for that ever elusive MS68 State Quarter, but after a while the cost and availability of mint sets will make many SF coins in top grade nearly impossible to come up with down the road. There's nothing easy about the business strike hunt, just want to shed a little more light on the Satin Finish for their own values.
    Seth
  • Options

<< <i>What I meant, is I don't think many people would want to collect a state quarter set, half business strike and half satin finish (say if the registry didn't exist). I think most people only collected that way because that's the way pcgs made the reg set (to get highest possible rating). >>

This makes zero sense. That is like saying you think many people would not collect state quarters out of Mint Sets, but prefer rolls.

Question for those who submit a lot of these. During the pre 2005 years, did you submit coins from mint sets?
  • Options
    Most of the top coins came from Mint Sets and not rolls. Still, a good number came from rolls too.
    Seth
  • Options

<< <i>Most of the top coins came from Mint Sets and not rolls. Still, a good number came from rolls too. >>

I think this is a fair tale. image
  • Options
    I have been gone awhile and just saw this thread. The issues seem to have been fully discussed. I am glad that the SF coins are now indeed a break-away registry set as predicted a few years ago. I like the flexibility PCGS has given to the collectors and thanks to BJ and PCGS for making it happen. dr
  • Options

<< <i>I have been gone awhile and just saw this thread. The issues seem to have been fully discussed. I am glad that the SF coins are now indeed a break-away registry set as predicted a few years ago. I like the flexibility PCGS has given to the collectors and thanks to BJ and PCGS for making it happen. dr >>

What flexibility? I am now forced to buy more coins to have a complete set. I had a complete set before the change.
  • Options
    I guess this proves that you can't please everyone!image
  • Options
    TwincamTwincam Posts: 814 ✭✭

<< <i>I guess this proves that you can't please everyone! >>

It looks to me like there is a set for business strikes...a set for satin finish...and a set for both business strikes AND satin finish. Seems like the only option not available is a set where someone wanted to use business strikes for some coins, and satin finish for others. Is this the issue? Most sets I've seen either have all satin finish...or all business strikes. Are there people in the registry who were using a combination of BS/SF in the old set before the changes?
  • Options

<< <i>Are there people in the registry who were using a combination of BS/SF in the old set before the changes? >>

Yes, I was.

GrandAm
  • Options

<< <i>Are there people in the registry who were using a combination of BS/SF in the old set before the changes? >>

I would guess about 90% of the sets listed, although the number could be higher.
  • Options
    I like it pick your poision ----- but lets get to the Kennedys soon --- ether - or sucks, it's hard to compete against dime a dozen 68 and 69's SF coins. Heck the first 07D BS in 68 was just made and the are no 06D's in 68 and 67's in ether of these two are in short supply.

Dan
    U S Navy Retired 22 years - ENC(SW) Ret. - Travling Nuclear Maintanence Contractor - Working Indian Point Nuclear plant Buchanan New York

">Franklin Halves
    ">Kennedy Halves