Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Suggestions for what to include in my latest "World Crowns" album? (UPDATED Jan 26, 2008!

I just received a vintage 4-page Whitman's "Crowns of the World" Album #9454 circa 1961 from Frank S. Robinson's latest coins, etc sale, and am wondering what to do with it.....................

It has 36 available "larger crown-size" openings, but I'm SURE there are more than that many countries with and varieties of Crowns out there to choose from. Or am I wrong?

Is there an approach anyone would like to suggest towards filling my album? A list of qualifying 19th & 20th Century Crowns anyone has? I'm open to all sorts of suggestions while I look thru my various Darkside folders checking to see if I even have any Crowns as yet!

Or, better yet, maybe people would like to post pics of their favorite Crowns her, so I get some (Not too expensive! image ) ideas?

Thanks for all suggestions!image

- - Dave

UPDATE!! UPDATE!! UPDATE!! UPDATE!!:

Well, I went thru my "one-per-Country" binders and discovered, to my chagrin, that I am "crown-poor"!! image
I didn't have a single crown from any of the album's 15 pre-labeled countries (see list below), so I added starting in hole #16 the following "crown-sized" coins/NCLT's:

Barbados FAO $4 (1970); Cook Islands $1 (1977); Falkland Islands 50 pence (1977); Hutt River Province $5 "Desert Storm" (1991); Great Britain "Churchill" Crown (1965); Republic of Somaliland $5 "Dragon" (2000); South Africa 5 Shillings KM#31 (1947); Tokelau 1 Tahi Tala KM#2 (1979); Tristan Da Cunha 25 pence KM#1 (1977); Turks & Caicos WWF 25th Anniv Crown KM#64 (1988); New Zealand $1 Cook Bicentenary KM#40.1 (1969);

The 15 pre-labeled countries in the album for which I have no qualifying coins are: China, Ceylon, Japan, Cyprus, Peru, Curacao, France, Italy, Belgium, Prussia, Bavaria, Netherlands, Latvia, Switzerland, and the Philippines...... guess I either start looking for those, or cover the labels..............

Comments on how I'm doing?

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That album sounds pretty cool!

<< <i>...so I get some (Not too expensive! ) ideas? >>

But seriously...

I would pick a British Trade $, Spanish Colonial 8 Reales, Swiss Shooting Thaler, just to get you going.
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
    I THINK I MAY HAVE BOTH PICTURED COINS, BUT I'M certain I DON'T HAVE THE ONES YOU SUGGESTED!! image
  • Options
    I filled up a bunch of these some years back with "Crowns of the British World," which can included all the obvious ones, such as Canada, Australia, NZ, GB, etc., but also a few less obvious (tougher) ones, like Hong Kong, Cyprus, Ireland (bank dollar). My pride and joy was a Waitangi Crown. Coincidentally, Frank & I live about 4 miles apart and were doing BST stuff back in the '80's, before I narrowed down my interests. He's always been so advanced in his experience with world coins, especially the arcane stuff, I was pretty shocked once to be able to sell him something he'd never even seen, a 1927 Palestine 1 mil "Holyland Token," which was a dupe from my double-dark side (world exonumia). Anyway, sorry to digress. Good luck finding great items to fill the book with!
    Tom
    I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy them too soon.

Proud (but humbled) "You Suck" Designee, February 2010.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the world is at your doorstep... go forth and select wisely

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    A little after the period of your album, but certainly not common crowns from out of the way areas.

imageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a big South African 5-shilling piece and a 1937 Aussie crown. Plus a Peruvian sol. You need a Peruvian sol, regardless of whether or not it ends up being mine.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    drjules:
    I can't answer how this compares to a Dansco 7010 because up until now, I have always collected exclusively in Whitman blue tri-fold folders, with just an exception or two for Aussie Shillings & N.Z. Type set. I just took a winger on this one..........

lordmarcovan:
    someday, I just might take you up on some of those coins...... For now, I think I will start perusing some local shops to see if any turn up in their bargain boxes (besides Churchill!)..... I'm also checking out e-bay for any that may slip thru.

everyone else:
    thanks for all the suggestionds so far! My album came with a few countries' names imprinted on it (previous owner used the letters available from Whitman, I assume, to put them there...), so I may chack out what's available from those countries. But first, I'll check my "one-per-country" binders to see if I have any that qualify.

I'll be sure to keep everyone posted!!

Thanks!

- - Dave image
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another candidate would be the large 5 Francs with Hercules on it...

imageimage
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    How about a complete set of Charles and Diana Wedding Crowns? image

Actually this is a set I've considered putting together for a few years now, just for fun. The prices have really come down on these coins the last few years. When I first started on eBay they were still fairly expensive but no longer. They were minted by many of the Commonwealth countries. It could take some time and effort to collect them all at a reasonable price.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    ttt - - updated 1/26/08
  • Options
    Don't forget a ZAR Crown. image
    The meaning of life ? I don't know but I am sure that coins have something to do with it.

Zar's Ebay