Home Metal Detecting
Options

Advice on how to clean up some copper?

Comments

• Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Wow, nice detail on that 98! I have used the hot virgin olive oil in a frying pan followed by a quick dip in a glass of ice water to clean up old dug coppers- just learned about it this year. Has worked well for me on coins I have dug, and you don't have to wait months to see the results. Here's a post showing the before and after of an 1852 cent I found this year:

1852 large cent found
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, nice detail on that 98! I have used the hot virgin olive oil in a frying pan followed by a quick dip in a glass of ice water to clean up old dug coppers- just learned about it this year. Has worked well for me on coins I have dug, and you don't have to wait months to see the results. Here's a post showing the before and after of an 1852 cent I found this year:

1852 large cent found >>

Fried copper... Good eatin'!image
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's my small treatise on the subject.

I can't view Photobucket pix on this server, but I'll try to have a peek from home, later.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    hahaha, ebay's insert picture option really stinks
  • Options
    Ketchup? just kidding!
    image I keep a census on Hawaii Error notes, Radars, Repeaters, Hawaii Stars (all denominations), Low serials, 6 of a kind, 7 of a kind, Canceled notes, AC blocks, ZB blocks, FC blocks, Uncut sheets and Late plates. If you have any information you would like to share please PM me. Thanks.image
  • Options
    Ketchup can work, actually. It is acidic.

There are other things I would use before ketchup, but I have tried it before.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    yeah ketchup will work but it leaves the coin really dull, there may be something out there that works better.
    image I keep a census on Hawaii Error notes, Radars, Repeaters, Hawaii Stars (all denominations), Low serials, 6 of a kind, 7 of a kind, Canceled notes, AC blocks, ZB blocks, FC blocks, Uncut sheets and Late plates. If you have any information you would like to share please PM me. Thanks.image
  • Options
    Exactly. Ketchup and Worcestershire sauce and a number of lightly acidic condiments will work but often result in a funky coloration afterwards.