Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Registry sub-sets. Other than the Classic Commemoratives, what other series would you like to see?

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
The idea of Registry sub-sets is starting to grow on me. I like the idea Steve presented with breaking down some of the 144 piece Commemoratives into three or four sub-sets.
I know PCGS is also doing this with the Walker Short set and the Morgan series has a separate set for those not inclined to tackle the full set.
(Also, when you think about it, the Washington series is really two sub-sets when you take into accounting the 1932- 1964 and the 1965 to 1999 sets).
What other series would you like to see this? How about a Dollar Type set? One each of the Flowing hair; Bust; Seated; Morgan; Trade; Peace; Ike; SBA, and Sac dollars?
Others?

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭✭
    Pat. Your idea about the Wash. qtrs is right-on. I had the "global set" and was very proud, but there was no recognition of that large of a set. A "global set" from '32-date, with subsets for silver, clad and state qtrs. makes perfect sense.
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    I have a new idea that may appeal to some. Has anyone ever considered a Meta set? This would be a set where each component is your rating in one of the registry sets.

These could be weighted by degree of difficulty in completion. For example, the SLQ set would be weighted much greater than the Ike dollars, due to the difficulty of completion.

Each registry you have entries in would transfer your set rating into the Meta set.

I am guessing that someone like High Desert would do really well here.

It would be a way to display an individuals rating for all the sets they are active in. As an FYI, I have exactly one registry set active so this is not something I would rank in, but wouldnt it be interesting to watch?
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    braddick,

That dollar type set is a very good idea, how about a Morgan dollar date set also, one coin of each date regardless of mintmark.

Hey, here's a cool idea, how about a 20th century key date type set, it could include a 1916 SLQ, a 1916-D Merc, a 1918/17 Buffalo, a 1901-S Barber quarter, 1909-S VDB and the 1955 double die Lincolns, and so on.

Dragon
  • Options
    The 11-coin War Nickel set makes sense to me!

Ken
  • Options
    sonofagunksonofagunk Posts: 1,349 ✭✭
    I want to see an error set.

I would LOVE to see a "cent on dime planchet" Lincoln Memorial set. But I have to admit, I would probably be the only one.
  • Options
    How about a mini Territorial Gold set? Composition: Six coins - one territorial gold coin from each of the six states that produced them - Georgia, North Carolina, California, Utah (Mormon), Oregon and Colorado. Any denomination would do except for the fractional California Gold, which is already well covered. A bit of a financial challenge, but fun and very historic. I recommended this one to PCGS in my survey response.
    Collecting should be fun. Set registry is just another way to enjoy collecting. It is not and cannot be the final assessment of a collection's "value".
  • Options
    Franklin halves in proof are absolutely beautiful, but the prices are in the stratosphere for anything that is CAM or DCAM. Therefore, I would really like to see a "brilliant" Franklin proof set, where cameo is not allowed. This would allow everyone else to participate in a meaningful way!
    Morgan

Collecting modern and vintage commems, indian cents, and modern type.
  • Options

Don't know if this quite fits your definition of a sub-set, but I like all kinds of variations on a 1900-present type set.

1. Variety Type Set
    2. Error Type Set
    3. First Year Type Set
    4. Key Date Type Set.
    5. Mint Mark Type Set

Plus any others anyone would care to name.

1900-present seems to be large enough to be a "real set" (I have a little trouble regarding a 12 coin set as a set), contains both "old" and new coins, appears to be within reach of most collectors and contains "easy" and "hard" coins to acquire.

HD