Home Metal Detecting
Options

club hunts

When you are in a club hunt does someone hide coins or objects for you to find? And if so how big of an area do you hunt?

Comments

• Options
    I don't belong to a club nor have I ever been to a club hunt. I had a chance while I was in England to detect near an old castle that had been arranged by an internet club over there. But due to the fact that I would have had about a three hour drive each way, I passed on that one. I had ground near me that was producing roman finds and I just decided to stay around my locale. After seeing some of the pics from the dig, it was probably a wise choice that I didn't go. Nothing spectacular was found on that hunt. Maybe the folks there just didn't cover all the ground all that thoroughly or it had already been hit before. Who knows.

Speer34

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Club hunts are typically "seeded" hunts.....the club plants silver coins, prize tokens etc. for you to find.
    The size of the hunt area depends upon your club...how many members, if the hunt is advertised to non-members, how many coins/prizes they intend to give away, etc. When I belonged to a small club, we typically had about 15-25 people hunting a small 0.25-.50 acre area.
    "A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs
  • Options
    I have played huntmaster several times for the Chicago Club. We usually have 30 to 40 hunters. Hunts are only for club members and there is no entry fee. We have moovd our spring and fall hunts to the beach as its easier to plant and recover the targets. And we don't have to worry about making a mess. We usually use a 100 foot by 100 foot area of the beach. averages out to 10 silver coins per hunter plus a gold coin and some other donated prizes.

Hope that helps.

Chicago Ron
    imageimage
  • Options
    PghpetePghpete Posts: 200 ✭✭✭
    While in Albuquerque, I attended several of the club's monthly hunts. They are a great bunch of guys. 90% of them were day trips to ghost towns, ski areas, etc. BTW, when I say ghost town, don't conjure up an image of ramshackle buildings and such. The ghost towns we went to had rock foundations at best with trash (especially parts of tin roofs) everywhere. While several members pulled out barber dimes, etc., all that I could find was a $.50 token from the company store. It was a cool find nonetheless. The club did have an annual seeded hunt, with certain targets coded to specific prizes. I actually won a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II at one, and it is still my backup detector.
  • Options
    i've never heard of a club hunt being free, maybe we should move to chicago. our club charges $10 for members and $20 for guests(non member). this is to help pay for future hunt prizes. that being standard, the hunts vary due to whoever is the organizer. usually we use pennies that are color coded for common prizes( a mercury dime). others are stamped with numbers that are good for a major prize(silver dollar, gold, detector). i've been to hunts where the coins can be found without a detector and others where they were buried. i prefer the buried, cause it makes you learn what to do. typically the hunts are good for newbies. its a good way to learn and maybe get a coin you've never seen before.