Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Great way to ship a $650 card!

I bought a raw Peyton Manning SP Aurhtentic rc for $650 and the sheller sent it in a toploader with no tape in the end and loose in a large padded envelope (6x9?). I was absolutely stunned that this person would ship an expensive card in a top loader floating around a huge envelope. He did insure it, but I would have expected a small box. What I was most upset about is that he didn't tape the end of the top loader or put in a team bag. It could have easily slipped out and the insurance would most likely not be honored (due to poor shipping).

Regards,

Greg M.
Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
E-Bay id: greg_n_meg

Comments

• zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Atleast you didn't get a picture of the card
  • Sorry to hear about that, you might find that USPS insurance isn't what it is cracked out to be as there is a great chance that they won't pay out. More than likely, their claims dept. will just accuse the shipper of poor shipping.
    My sets:
    1977 Topps Star Wars - "Space Swashbucklers"
  • julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    embarassing

j
    RIP GURU
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ridiculas to think some moron would do something like that, he prolly couldnt care less either once he got paid. Ignorant to say the least.
  • Most ebay sellers are doing this kinda stuff all day, LOL. I crack up everytimeimage How can they be that dumb, I ask myself, but somehow, one card hasen't been damaged yet!

When I occasionally sell a card, exspecialy if its an expensive card, I always ship it USPS Priority mail, with Signature Confirmation, and always ship it, in one of those small priotiy boxes, and on top of that, the card is inside, in a small bubble mailler, that fits the card, instead of those huge ones.

Lets just keep praying for the cards to come to us safely image

Giovanni

• << <i>What I was post upset about is that he didn't tape the end of the top loader. It could have easily slipped out and the insurance would most likely not be honored (due to poor shipping). >>

Greg,

You have to understand that there are many buyers who do not want tape on the top of the top loader. There have been MANY threads about this from buyers because the card could (but didn't) stick to the tape.

What is a seller to do? People b*tch because a seller did use tape and people b*tch because a seller didn't use tape!

The best method to ship a card is "whatever gets it there undamaged." PERIOD! I don't care if I get a card in a brown paper bag as long as it arrives to me safely. I bought this card on eBay and it arrived yesterday in no penny sleeve, wrapped only in tissue - I swear to GOD! But you know what? It arrived in the condition as advertised so who am I to complain?

On the other hand, there was a thread on here a few weeks ago where a buyer received a package that had been destroyed by a postal machine. From the looks of the package, the seller did everything he could to protect the card (penny sleeve, top loader, bubble mailer) and it still got damaged.

If buyers would quit complaining on "What could have happened" during shipping and only posted threads about cards that were actually damaged during shipping, these types of threads would be about 10% of what they actually are.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand about not taping the end of a top loader but there are ways of securing a card in a top loader rather than just tossing it in there and rolling the dice!
  • I just find it amazing that how cheap people are when it comes to shipping supplies
    I sold cards via mail order from the 70's-90's
    I shipped every item in a BOX
    I never used a bubble mailer
    Over 10,000 items sold & had 2 claims for damage
    Sellers today are:

Cheap
    Lazy
    Stupid

Many have no clue how to ship a item properly

pretty pathetic
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    i use a small piece of paper over the end of the top loader and then tape the paper to the top loader. makes sense
  • wallst32wallst32 Posts: 513 ✭✭
    Whenever I buy a card that I know is going to close over $100, I always contact the seller in advance and ensure they are willing to ship it in a cardboard box; if not or no response I stay away. Why take a chance when you are going to spend so much? And you have obviously heard horror stories on these boards before.

Now reaslitically can a card be sent safely in that fashion? Sure (though the protection could obviously be improved). If it was a $6.50 card you wouldn't be complaining. But in either case it's still just a piece of cardboard no matter the value, and plenty of cards get sent this way.

• << <i>i use a small piece of paper over the end of the top loader and then tape the paper to the top loader. makes sense >>

Oh yeah, I do that too, but I make sure when I put tape, to fold one end of the tape, so it can be easy for you to peel it. I hate when people put that tape that you just can't take off without damaging the card. Sure, you can just use the blade, but most the times I don't have one in front of me, so I try to open it without one.

People, fold one end of the tape, and please use, user friendly tape thats easy to peel, don't use that impossible tapeimage

Giovanni
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I understand about not taping the end of a top loader but there are ways of securing a card in a top loader rather than just tossing it in there and rolling the dice! >>

Good point about the tape. Actually, if I mail a card in a top loader I secure it inside of a team bag and then wrap it like a present in the Paypal receipt. This way, the card is completely secured.

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭
    When I ship raw cards, I put the card in a penny sleeve, topload, teambag and then wrap in bubblewrap. Then I place that inside of a 4 x 7 mailer. It's thick enough to qualify for non-machinable so I can put Delivery Confirmation on it with 1st class postage. I've shipped out thousands of cards this way and have not had one problem.

(knocking on wood)

I bought 4 raw cards (separate auctions) from one seller on ebay last week and the seller put all 4 cards in one topload, taped over the top. One of the 4 cards was a 1989 Bowman Tiffany in a taller penny sleeve. The sleeve was actually sticking out of the topload about 1/16th of an inch so when the seller taped the topload, he taped down the sleev to the outside of the topload. I was able to free the cards as safely as possible, but I shouldn't have to deal with this hassle! Especially not for $4 shipping.
  • "i use a small piece of paper over the end of the top loader and then tape the paper to the top loader. makes sense "

ding ding ding!
    we have a winner!
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Team bags cost a penny and fit over the toploader.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Tape's not bad... as long as they put the penny sleeve upside-down in the toploader so it doesn't stick to the tape.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • I love that card. I pulled one from a pack while in college for $4, had it graded and it came back a 9. Considering that I already loved Manning from his UT days is was great to have one. Taking that into consideration I know how condition sensitive that card is. All I can say is yikes.
  • FWIW I just received a package from a trade on the BMB. The guy asked how I wanted the cards (around 25-30 in all) sent. I'm yet to open the box, but I can already tell that he did a good job.
  • PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    I just had a horrible ebay experience, which is still being resolved. I bought a Beatles record for $500 from a seller with 52 fb's, one negative. I figured I better protect myself, so I paid through PayPal with my CC, instead of my debit card. When the package arrived, all that was in the box was a piece of cardboard folded in half. I immediately called my CC issuer and got them to reverse the transaction. Now the seller is claiming that the post office must be responsible and is making a claim.
  • rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    i put in cardsaver and tape top,cardboard aroud them,problem solved
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah there are lots of ways to ship a card safely. Toploader in a team bag for instance.

The seller is just an idiot