Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

RARE DATE 8 REALES OF THE REPUBLIC OF MEXICO

I USED TO HAVE A PRETTY COMPLETE SET OF 8 REALES FROM THE REPUBLIC PERIOD. I'VE BEEN THINKING OF PASSING THE CUSTODIANSHIP OF THESE ON TO OTHERS.
THE FIRST I HAVE IS AN 1849 AM PI, EXTREMELY RARE.
I ALSO HAVE AN 1826 HOOKNECK IN TREMENDOUS ORIGINAL CONDITION.
LASTLY I HAVE A THREE PIECES, BETTER DATES, ONE FROM GUDALUPE E CALVO ANOTHER FROM ESTADO DE MEXICO AND AN INTERESTING PIECE FROM OAXACA.
I'M GOING TO POST UPLOAD IMAGES TO THIS POST IN A COUPLE OF DAYS.
YOUR JOB, SHOULD YOU CHOOSE TO ACCEPT IT, IS TO TALK ME OUT OF PASSING THESE FORWARD!
LOOKING FORWARD TO SHARING THESE WITH THE GROUP.
Mike

About Rare Coins
12562-B Central Ave
Chino, CA 91710
mike@gemcoins.net
www.gemcoins.net

Comments

• Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Pardon me, but the last time I read a message like this, it was from Nigeria.
  • Options
    Chino is a heck of a long way from Nigeria.

Just 30 miles east of Los Angeles

Why don't you stop by sometime for a visit.

How to find me
    Mike

About Rare Coins
    12562-B Central Ave
    Chino, CA 91710
    mike@gemcoins.net
    www.gemcoins.net
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well... If you really want someone to talk you out of it, consider this - Mexico is a great candidate to be added to the registry. Once that happens, you can expect an increase in demand, especially for nicer pieces. I suggest waiting a year or two, and while doing so - trying to convince PCGS to pick Mexico as their next registry addition.

Would love to see the images. If you do decide to sell, I would love to know where and how, so that I can participate.

Cheers.
  • Options
    Good point. If Mexico goes Registry, cha-ching!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Well I decided to list one of them. Its the rare 1849 Pi AM. I think I'll listen to the advise of the field as it pertains to the other pieces.
    Mike

About Rare Coins
    12562-B Central Ave
    Chino, CA 91710
    mike@gemcoins.net
    www.gemcoins.net
  • Options
    dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    Very nice piece.

I have recently started collecting 8 reales.

I was at a show liked the design and a dealer was nice enough to feed my interest in the series. I have gotten the book, Resplandores, now I need to read it and determine a direction.

I hope you don't mind me posting a link to your auction. It is a nice original coin. A little out of my range at this stage in my collection, I would be interested in your better dates.

1849 8 Reales
  • Options
    Nice piece. It would've been pretty cool if it was a coin alignment, as well!
  • Options
    Why am I getting a warning that the link, 30 miles east of LA, is trying to request personnel information, Do I want to proceed?
  • Options

<< <i>Why am I getting a warning that the link, 30 miles east of LA, is trying to request personnel information, Do I want to proceed? >>

That one is broken, but the one below it links to the mapquest site, which probably looks for its' cookies on your PC.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's another Mexican 49er from Chihuahua:

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    Willie, that's a nice example of the "damaged dies" series of pre-1850 Chihuahua 8 Reales, characterized by the break on top of the "R" in the assayer initials making it look like a "K", damage to the "L" in the "REPUBLIC" on the reverse, as well as the crossbar in the 'a' in Ca faint or non-existent.

• Options
    BTW, for what it's worth, I've done biz with Mike/A.R.C. before, here on the forums, and everything went fine.

Despite my poking fun at him for the CAPS, he's all good as far as I'm concerned.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: 1849 Chihuahua:

I just thought it was worn.
    https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television