Home U.S. Coin Forum

ANACS and Morgan Dollars Question

How do the ANACS (old small slabs) grading compare to PCGS or NGC graded Morgan Dollars?
ED

Comments

• DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    from the majority i've seen, very comparable.
  • ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭
    Every coin stands on its own merits of course. But, I tend to like many of the coins that I see in old ANACS holders.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge
  • CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    It is unfortunate that the mojority of the old holdered ANACS Morgans ae not at all representative of the original populations of them. Many were crossed to the same or higher grades at PCGS and NGC. IT would hav ebeen foolish not to. ANACS was veyr consistent and pretty conservative for many years. If you want to see more typical coins from them in that era, check out the collections of stubborn guys like me who only cross a handful of them or look at widgets like MS63 1887 Morgans that have no incentive to pay the crossover fee. The extant population overall of gems is a shame. The same can be said of 1st gen PCGS holdered ones too. Face it; if the cost of a cross/regrade justified it, they'd have gone that route attempt at least once.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Depends on the coin...I have seen some that would probably not cross now....mostly in the MS63-MS65 ranges. They seemed to have been more forgiving if the prime focal area in front of her face had less marks....even if the cheek had more scattered marks....The circulated examples usually are pretty consistent and comparable.
  • I just bought 5 old ANACS holdered coins. As Coxe said it's not worth the upgrade costs but my thoughts are

61 to a 63
    63 to a 64
    63 to a 65
    62 to a 63
    63 remains the same
    Life member of the SSDC
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My experience with the old holders (the ones whose serial numbers start with a letter), has been very good... frequent upgrades and I think everything else crossing at the same grade.

Newer holders, however, you do really well to get half to cross at the same grade. Mostly it's more like 1/3.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the old holder ANACS holders when I can find them.
    Very conservative grading back in the day.image
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭✭
    Does this hold true for the the old ANACS DMPL Morgans.
  • CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139

<< <i>Does this hold true for the the old ANACS DMPL Morgans. >>

It varies. I find it less likely for some more respected TPGs' older DMPLs to make the cut today than a lot of old ANACS ones. There are some out there that are cameoed and nicely reflective but not technically deep enough among all of them. OTOH most of them are definitely in the spirit of prooflike as they are proof-ish in quality. They also should command the prices we expect for DMPLs.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • EdscoinEdscoin Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Everyone for the replies. The reason I asked, I have just never been drawn to the Morgans to collect. But I was at a Coin Show last week and a dealer had about 15 Morgans in the small ANACS slabs rowed up in a case. They really caught my attention. Must have been those big coins in those small slabs. Anyway I have been thinking all week about trying to put a Date set (Can't afford a complete set) together in the old small slabs. Would it still be possible to find all the coins in the old ANACS slabs? Any comments such as this is a DUMB IDEA welcomed Too.
    ED

• << <i>Thanks Everyone for the replies. The reason I asked, I have just never been drawn to the Morgans to collect. But I was at a Coin Show last week and a dealer had about 15 Morgans in the small ANACS slabs rowed up in a case. They really caught my attention. Must have been those big coins in those small slabs. Anyway I have been thinking all week about trying to put a Date set (Can't afford a complete set) together in the old small slabs. Would it still be possible to find all the coins in the old ANACS slabs? Any comments such as this is a DUMB IDEA welcomed Too. >>

I think it might take a while, but possible....if that is your interest, go for it. I would still say even if it is the right technical grade you are looking for, think about, think twice and think again if it does not have nice eye appeal!image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file