Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Should "Black Hole" Coins be in Major sets? IE: Jefferson MEL Dollar

OK,
I have posted a few times on the goose chase for the Jefferson Dollar - "Missing Edge Lettering" coins.

It at this point is like chasing the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.

Coins that are allowed in the "Major Variety" Registry sets should be available or am I wrong on this one?

It is disturbing as a collector when someone or a group controls all of one particular coin and decide to not involve the collector market and send them off to boiler rooms to not be seen or heard of for years.

The reason is plain greed. They can squeeze more out of NON-Collectors by just offering some exclusive coins to people that really are not collectors.

My vote is to push the Jefferson MEL Dollar out of the "Major" variety set and leave it in the Complete Set only, until there come a time when it is availiable for the collectors.
It's more disturbing to me when a coin has a pop of 501 coins and the only coin that keeps coming around is the overpriced "Discovery Coin".

The Jefferson MEL is pop wise less rare than the Partial Edge Lettering Coins and more common than the Adams MEL Dollar.
Yet, Adams Dollars are on eBay on the BST boards all of the time.

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim - I believe your question centers around the "spirit" of what the rules for Registry should be.

For many years, a coin needed to be pop 5 to be allowed in a registry set - hence, great coins such as the 58 DDO cent never made it in the variety set as a required coin. I understand this rule may have recently changed; in fact some say the rule never existed, which I believe is wrong - there was this "rule of 5".

In any event, things have changed and you allude to a coin that is pop 501 for which 500 coins appear to be headed to the "black hole" as you put it. As amazing as that sounds - in these changing times, it is possible that registry players may be "shut out" on obtaining virtually any of these coins in an acceptable manner.

As you know, collectors voted that the partial Jefferson rimless (thus far a much scarcer coin than the full rimless) be only permitted in the complete variety set. So, why not ask BJ to send a vote around to all registry set holders on where to place the Jeff rimless? Especially under these peculiar circumstances. Let the registry players decide what should be done with the coin continuing the "spirit" PCGS has displayed of late with all their fine improvements to the registry.

There has always been an availability factor in determining which coins should be required registry coins. So, if the registry participants want a coin moved to only the "Complete" set (just as they decided with partial and weak lettering Jeffs after the vote) let the registry players decide IMHO. Thoughts Jim?

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭
    Mitch,
    You are correct.
    In the "spirit" of the Registry, move the not available coin to the complete set, then we all can have a BLANK in our complete set for ever more.....
  • Options

<< <i>Coins that are allowed in the "Major Variety" Registry sets should be available or am I wrong on this one? >>

They are only available if someone wants to sell.image
  • Options
    i emailed bj this very question about why pcgs does not get rid of the rimless jef when it is impossible to get (there is one now on ebay for 12,500 bucks - a ridiculous price!) she emailed me back that the last poll/vote decided that it should remain. on a different subject, i got some rolls of mads that are full of weak edge coins. i cant afford right now to send any of them in to pcgs. does anyone know how to get a discount to do this, or want to split the cost of it and split all coins that come back slabbed?
    thanks for everyone's time and consideration,
    ryan
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ryan - There have been a ton of weak lettering Madison appearing on (and off) ebay in the $8-$10 price range. If you want to give me a call later today (949) 394-7122 I can discuss some options on submitting them. If I am not in, just leave me your number for me to call you back.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    These coins have surfaced again.

Prices are still rediculous for a pop of 882!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!