Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Early New Years Resolution

Since I have finished my 1968-Present mint set I need another 'project'.

I was looking for a complete set that wouldn't break the bank (piggy bank at that) to finish and that I already have a few raw coins to send in.
I was thinking of starting with cents, that seemed logical, but PCGS doesn't distinguish between large & small cents. I have the small cents, but not the large. image

This leaves nickels as the logical choice, I have full sets of Jeffersons, Buffs, & Libertys (V's). Some low grade Shields.
And I'm talking about the circulation set, not the proof or complete set, although I will try to complete the Jefferson proofs.

OK, now that I've come out & said what I am focusing on maybe I'll stick to it! image

F-O-C-U-S, that's what I need.

What's everyone else shooting for in '08? image

Comments

• Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

Well brothers, with the very capable help of Brian Wagner, I was able to assemble a complete set of MPLs in 2007. It's gonna be a hard act for me to beat.

In 2008, I am going to work on a set of mint state Flying Eagles ( gulp ).
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Brother Curly,

And what a set of MPL's it is! image

That '09 VDB is an outstanding way to start it off.
    All are wonderful examples.

Going for the same 'look' for your FEs or REDs?
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

No, it won't be up in the "thin air" that my MPLs are in. The 1856 would be a stretch for me in unc. condition. I have located a '56 in AU that I'm excited about. It's an S-3 die pair ( mint state ) and it's within my reach.

It's only a 5 coin set but it's very challenging and I'm looking forward to it.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    DrizztDrizzt Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    If you're doing nickels, then I'm not...image

Sounds like you have the same raw set of nickels I do, except for the 1885. Had that one, but I sent it in for the quarterly special a couple times ago, and it was lost in the mail....lesson learned: Always check to see what current market is BEFORE insuring and mailing. image
  • Options
    Drizzt, com'on, what's a little competition amongst friends.
    My 1885 is probably a AG coin. My 1886 has 'issues', so I'll have to look for that one.

Curly, an AU '56 FE! image

We'll all want to see it if/when you acquire it.
  • Options
    OK, up to #5 on the "U.S. Nickels Complete Set, Circulation Strikes (1866-present)"
    65.55 GPA (Reminds me of College); 50.17% Complete; 311.60 Set Rating.......

Look out driftwood, coming after you! image

Although.....if your GPA is lower than mine & I have a higher percentage of completion, how is your rating higher than mine?
    Oh well, doesn't matter, got my sites on you! image

Times running out on your resolutions. What say you all? image
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    If the set is weighted, and another set has more weighted coins, it can over power your completion and GPA for awhile.
    But it all evens out at the end.
    Dan
  • Options
    As a guy who used to have a wonderful registered set of lincolns, I have completely changed gears and am finding a great deal of satisfaction filling a....u guessed it...Dansco album. Circulated lincoln cents from 09-58 and nice BU's from 34-present. Why I am getting more satisfaction out of this than putting $15-$20K into the higher grade stuff in slabs...I'll never know??????

Also, I have opened up another can of worms...and that is a Dansco for Flying Eagles and IHC's. Fun year in 2008 filling those...they REALLY intrigue me for some reason. I am really looking forward to a more economical way of collecting (feels like I'm 14 again and fillin' an album)...

Happy New Year everyone...

edited to add: got my first FE cent on xmas eve...a nice 1857...
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    For 2008 I plan on dropping the 1st Spouses entirely as many have said that while there was some initial fanfare, the series is too ugly and too expensive. I can finally put the States Quarters away. 10 years, I never thought I would make it. I also think I might bail out of my complete modern commemoratives MS/PR69 collection.

So I'd like to finish existing eagle collections, but I also thought I might consider a classic series. Maybe dimes, so me and Dimeman can hang out and rag on Stooge. It would have to be older dimes since FDR was a commie. Nice guy, decent President but a commie no less. Maybe I'll trade a few coins for a few of these as long as my wife doesn't swipe them. image

• Options
    Toby, there really is something special about collecting raw coins, all assembled in a nice album.
    Flip the pages & being able to compare the beauty of each coin next to another beautiful coin.
    If I didn't have that darn competitive spirit I would have gone 'raw' long ago.

Good luck in your quest.

Griv, if you do dimes, sooner or later you'll have to go commie! Hey, better Red than Dead (or so the saying goes).
  • Options
    At 25 I have begun my first attemt to build a full set. I bought a 1913 matte proof Lincoln cent. I did not know this series would consume me like it has.

I have 4 and 2 more on the way. Maybe 3. With the help(like Curly) of Brian and a few others, my set is starting to fill in.

I hope to finish the set in 08 with the 1909vdb,1914,1915.

After that I am moving to The Capped Bust Half Dimes. The var. set with 123 coins right now. Its a big challenging set , but I have already got one from ebay unattrib. Paid $80 and change, its an R3 and worth around $250. Not bad I think for 5 minutes on ebay. Slabbed too in a old Anacs holder.

I hope everyone gets their coins they want this year.

Good luck & God speed...

Adam
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like I will finish the State Quarter Dansco. Thanks to PCGS, I will be looking for Business Strike SQ's for 2005 and 2006 so I can complete the registry set that was complete a few weeks ago.

Thinking about starting some more raw coin sets. Go back to collecting the way I used to. It was much more fun then.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053