Home Stamps Forum
Options

This one went for strong money...

Compared to the estimate at least:

Auction Link

Neat piece of history.

I picked up a few things in that same auction, but nowhere near the same scale:

For AU$32 (It definitely looks to be a trimmed down R80c rather than an R80a, nevertheless finding any specimen with a margin imprint is tough; just a curiosity to add to the collection.):

For AU$32 (Again, trimmed, but I bought it for the cancel not the stamp):

For AU$525 (Didn't think I'd win this one. Trying to find an R102a with a nice socked-on-the-nose cancel has proven difficult without breaking the bank. Even though the stamp isn't exactly flawless, it's clearly a legit R102a, and I'm happy to fill the hole in the collection with this one):

Comments

• Options
    Coinpictures - I purchased that cover for a client. Most inbound blockade covers are stampless (80%) and have Wilmington or Charleston "Ship" or "Steam Ship" entry markings. This example has a stamp, has a nice forwarder handstamp (20% have handstamp forwarder) and has the name of the blockade runner endorsed on it (10% maybe). However, the reason it was important is that it is latest known blockade run cover into Wilmigton. Also, I am currently of the opinion that it was carried on the last steamer that ran the blockade into Wilmington. The "Hansa" may have arrived the same day.
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    Is "Wild Rover" the name of a steamship?

Jerry
  • Options
    Jerry - Yes, "Wild Rover" is the name of the sleek blockade-runner steamer than ran from Bermuda, through the Federal Naval blockade, into Wilmington, NC.
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com