Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does PCGS ever remove debris from coins when they reholder?

Just curious about this. Sometimes PCGS slabbed coins have fairly obvious debris, whether that be lint, a hair, a piece of crud, whatever, that is not embedded into the coin, like a carbon spot or toning. Do the graders ever take the liberty of re(safely) moving the particle(s) before they reholder a coin that has been regraded (or even just reholdered)?

Comments

• Options
    Coll3ctorColl3ctor Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭
    I have one PCGS reverse proof with a hair in it and a few more with debris.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    You could always submit it under mechanical error stating what is wrong in a letter and they should re-holder it without the debris.
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    I have found many different types of foreign matter, hair to little pieces of dirt (and far worse) inside PCGS "slabs."

Actually, I find it to be disturbing & GROSS and if left in contact with a coin's surfaces this debris can and will cause very unpleasant results.

• Options
    Sure they do. Before/after pics from a 1879 CC Morgan.
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    If I think about it & have time, I'll post some pix that show some of the types of damage caused by different forms of foreign matter.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think the graders have anything to do with reholdering. In case the techs don't catch it, it should be pointed out and they will probably do it for free.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They have a "Blow-off" service for hair, cookies, ham sandwich pieces which get in the holders and are just resting on the surface. They also have a "Flick-off" service for chewing gum, lollypop and other stickier situations. I don't think they go into removing spots and stuff originally on the coin, like dirt.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

i would think that would be a job for the most recent hire image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't somebody post one a while back that looked like it had a nacho cheese Dorito crumb in it? I seem to remember seeing that somewhere...
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file