Home U.S. Coin Forum

Bay State coin show newps (tokens and medals, mostly)

jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
I went to the twice-annual Bay State coin show today. Saw some board members, sold some stuff, bought some stuff. The show seemed a little less attended than usual, but I did great from a personal perspective. Some newps...

HK-597, for the German-American Bicentennial in 1883. This is a white metal piece, holed as usual. White metal pieces sure get cruddy. This is actually better than many. NGC would probably slab this as MS-60, but I wish they wouldn't. I consider it to have environmental damage. Still, like I said, better than most.

imageimage

This pair was produced for the dedication of the Santa Monica Breakwater in 1933. There are 8 different varieties listed as HK-680 through HK-687 in different metals, with the aluminum version (HK-687) easily the most common. HK-684 is a bimetallic piece, brass with bronze center. HK-685 is also a bimetallic piece, bronze with aluminum center. Both of those are extremely rare. These two newpss are unlisted. I don't like guessing metal content, but these sure look brass, which would make them brass with aluminum center and aluminum with brass center.

imageimage
imageimage

This is a medal produced at the Mint about the Mint. It's not terribly rare, but this is an original strike and not a 20th century reproduction, which is nice.

imageimage

This nasty thing is part of a large series of tokens produced around 1909 by coin dealer Thomas Elder in commemoration of various events in the life of Abraham Lincoln. It is catalogued as DeLorey 20. The reason this is so nasty-looking is that it was struck in lead, which is not one of the best ideas for striking something you want to last for a while. On the other hand, there was a whopping total of 5 specimens of this medal struck in lead, making it really tough to find a higher quality specimen.

imageimage

Here's a couple of medals from the mystery series produced by Belgian engraver Auguste Brichaut around 1880. Board member DUIGUY bought a couple of others recently. I now have six (five different) out of a series of 20 or so. Check out poor John Quincy Adams's middle initial...

imageimage
imageimage

I normally stay away from ultra toners, but I couldn't resist this one. It was produced in the 1860-1862 time frame for New York mercantile agency J.M. Bradstreet & Sons. In silver it's catalogued as Rulay NY 82J. I suppose this one could be really yellow-toned silver, but I think it's brass, which would make it unlisted.

imageimage

And finally a non-token, my last purchase as I went out the door. Double-struck Lincolns aren't terribly rare, but this is a particularly nice specimen with a large overlap, good orientation between both strikes, a clear date, and a die-struck reverse.

imageimage

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file