Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Early Gold, PCGS vs NGC

For those of you who collect Early Gold, (1795-1804, $10,$5, &$2 1/2), do you have an opinion as to
which TPG slab you would prefer to hold?

Since with these coins you definetly "buy the coin & not the plastic" , does it even matter who is grading between the two,
PCGS or NGC?
I have heard that NGC actually has somewhat higher standards on early gold than PCGS.

Do you find that to be true?

If you were planning to sell, does it even make sense to consider crossovers?

Just curious!

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that the PCGS holders simply look better and, if all else were equal, would choose the coins to be in the PCGS holders for that reason.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't really matter to me. The issue with these coins is finding them - especially lower grade collector coins.
  • Options
    Check the prices. APMEX, for instance, charges substantially more for PCGS-graded gold coins. They sell lots of both.

I rely on the grading companies to do the grading. PCGS grades better than I do, so I value their plastic.

Pass the cool-aid.

edited for spelling
    //ab

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those of you who collect Early Gold, (1795-1804, $10,$5, &$2 1/2), do you have an opinion as to
    which TPG slab you would prefer to hold?

I prefer PCGS because I like the appearance of the slab, but I own early $5's in both PCGS and NGC holders. I especially like the aesthetics of gold with the green label; it's a nice combo, IMO.

Since with these coins you definetly "buy the coin & not the plastic" , does it even matter who is grading between the two,
    PCGS or NGC?

Not much, but does it ever? I have seen nice coins in both holders and disgusting pigs in both holders.

I have heard that NGC actually has somewhat higher standards on early gold than PCGS. Do you find that to be true?

I have not heard or experienced the same. I would say that in 19th century gold, my experience has been that PCGS is more likely to holder a problem coin, and NGC is more likely to bump the grade. At any rate, a nice coin is a nice coin, and a dog is a dog.

If you were planning to sell, does it even make sense to consider crossovers?

The market has a slight preference for PCGS-graded coins, so if the coins could be easily crossed, it might make selling them easier. However, unless you have the patience of a saint and the nerves of steel, I would not crack out the coin, and I would not make more than one crossover attempt. If you are working in the "collector grade" range (say XF-AU), the price jumps between the grades for the more common date coins are rather modest, thus reducing much of the benefit of cracking out and trying for upgrades. Nice coins will sell in any holder.

The majority of my experience in this area is with early $5's (1798-1808), and the opinions for the other denominations may be slightly different.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file