Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Cherrypicks from Houston- 71-D Ike RDV-006, 64 AH Proof Kennedy...

cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
I had a fun day in Houston today. I got to meet Miles Standish from PCGS, and Rick Snow, and got to talk to some Texas dealers that I haven't seen in a long time. RCH was there with some AMAZING coins, including a matte proof gold set, PR-69 toned seated dollar, 1907 Matte Proof $20, $4 Stella, etc. I had a good day cherrypicking as well...I snagged a couple of VAMs - 1898 VAM-10 in an old INS MS-64 Photo Slab (it's probably AU), 1882-S VAM-? (RPD- research needed), and 1924 VAM-? (Die gouge from R in TRVST to rim- research needed). I also cherried my second 1971-D FEP Ike, under nearly identical circumstances as the first one- it was in a plastic bin of several hundred of mixed Ikes, and once again, it's in the worst shape out of all of them (probably from travelling the country in the bag with all those other Ikes)!

I also found this 1964 Accented Hair Kennedy in an old Blanchard slab (I didn't even know they slabbed coins)...I can't wait until tomorrow when I release it from that horrible, scratched-up plastic and see what it really looks like...I'm not a fan of dipping, but this one may be a good candidate if it's still fugly...BTW- thanks, Russ for posting a link to your 64AH diagnostics page last week- I wouldn't have found it without that!

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Comments

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    Kewl!

Check out the RDV-006 to see if its a DDO or a DDR or even a DDO/DDR!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>Kewl!

Check out the RDV-006 to see if its a DDO or a DDR or even a DDO/DDR! >>

I already checked...no luck. They were selling the Ikes for $2.00 each, or 10 for $18, so I bought the '71-D and 9 1972's. I was determined once and for all to learn the difference between types 1,2,&3 (I have pictures of earth for each type that I got from the 'net), with the rule of picking one out that was different from the last one I picked out, until I had 9 of them. Most were type 3's (7 of them), and two type 1's...I can assure you that there were no type 2's in that bin, because after looking at about 100 1972 Ikes, that one would've stood out like a sore thumb (every coin I looked at had islands), just like the RDV-006 did after looking at a bunch of '71-D's...I found a proof '72 there for comparison, so now I'm very clear on the differences. Since all of the '72's I bought were AU, I think I'll have a little fun with the Salvation Army bell ringer the next time I go to Wal-Mart and make his day...
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice cherrypicks! Yes, Blanchard used to slab some coins, but I think it has been quite some time ago. I still have a 1924 $20 Gold in one of their slabs from about 10 years ago. I have always thought the slab was kind of neat, so I have kept it in it.
    ----- kj
  • Options
    Nice pickups. I went to the show yesterday and came home with supplies.

Jerry
  • Options
    Just finished with the Kennedy...The Blanchard slab, I must say, was a tough nut to crack...the coin was hazy, but still had nice, deep mirrors...there was a big spot on the reverse to the left of the eagle as well, so I decided to go ahead and give it a dip in Ez-Est for 5 sec...here's the result- a lot better, but the coin is still covered in fine brown flecks...any advice from the dippers out there? Should I give it another shot, or will it damage the surfaces of the coin too much?

• Options
    jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    That slab is awesome!! There is no way I would have cracked the Ken out of the slab.
  • Options
    I wouldn't have either, but it was in really beat-up shape, to where you couldn't really tell much about the coin inside...
  • Options
    GandyjaiGandyjai Posts: 1,380 ✭✭
    I would try Acetone....If that doesn't work and the brown flecks really bug you...Then I'd try NCS.

Brian

I Love image Variety & Error Ikes! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file