Home U.S. Coin Forum

1973-D Kennedy DDO

19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
Finally got around to looking for one of these and lucked out!

imageimage

Not the best example but it came out of a roll I pulled from mint sets abnd had set aside.
I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Comments

• Congrads! Is the bottom of the mint mark above or below the base of the neck?

If above, then you have the 1973-D DDO-003. If below, then you have the 1973-D DDO-004. The variety that PCGS recongizes as the FS-101 is the 1973-D DDO-001.

Tim

Edited for: Darn spelling errors!
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

Dang!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats!
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • I'm not so sure you have one.
    The DDO is usually much, much more evident.
    Lets see what Russ says.

• << <i>Dang! >>

19Lyds,

I'm not sure if the "Dang!" comment is happy or sad. But it looks like the DDO-003 and Dr. Wile's book list it as a URS-2, a lot rarer then the 1973D DDO-001 which is listed in the Cherrypickers' guide as a URS-6. I would be happy as pigs in you know what!image

Edited to add: Great find!!!!image
    I was saying Dang because I wanted to get it attributed.

It is more of a light spread. The coin itself might grade a 63 on a good day with the wind at its back.

The name is LEE!
  • I'll say dang.

I finally found the one in the Cherrypicker's Guide. I didn't know about this one.

Now I'll half to go looking for it....
    Some call it an accumulation not a collection

• << <i>I'll say dang.

I finally found the one in the Cherrypicker's Guide. I didn't know about this one.

Now I'll half to go looking for it.... >>

I would suggest you find a copy of James Wiles book, "The Kennedy Half Dollar Book, An Attribution and Pricing Guide" if you want to see more varieties then are listed in the Cherrypickers' Guide.image
    I think this aspect of collecting is what collecting is all about and I have enjoyed every minute of it!

DDO's, DDR's, Major, minor it doesn't really matter. What matters is realizing that there are so many different and unique varieties out there!

If I get a chance, I'll pickup the Wiles book just to get familiar with what is out there. After all, if you don't know what to look for, how will you ever know you found it?

Unless its a super wide spread DDO or DDR it's just not enough to know you have one. Its important to know which one you have.

The name is LEE!
  • I have the Flynn and Wexler book "Treasure Hunting Franklin and Kennedy Half Dollar Double Dies" It did not mention this DDO and it is from 2003.

I guess I know what to put on my Christmas list.
    Some call it an accumulation not a collection
  • Wile's book is out of print, but second hand copies can be hadimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file