Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Things that make you go HUH? Goodwin Auction

Ok gang. This one really has me scratching my head. Open for all to chime in.

1962 Card #401 Goodwin Auction $5011.38

1962 Card #401 E-bay BIN $200
W.C.Fields
"I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

Comments

• Options
    Joe, that is indeed hard to believe.

a) bidders need eye correction - misread label and thought it was a 9? or

b) bidders have more coin than sense

Collecting Vintage Baseball.
    My ebay listings
  • Options
    That's an easy lesson in how to save $4800!
    2001-2014 Topps Heritage complete!
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    Just another example of why buyers should use eBay.
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    Must have been the elusive scan of the back.

Can you say "Inheritiance, so I don't really care?"

I knew you could.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Reason # 53 of why I won't bid at a major auction house.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭
    Yep. And the $3450 for the '62 Koufax is weird too. The '57 Koufax brings a reasonable market price ($1227) but the '62 sells for 4 or 5 times its market price??
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ridiculous.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    I think it's just a matter of too much testosterone. This is not uncommon in a real heated bidding war. After a while, you don't really care about the money. You just want to beat the other guy.

Got into this myself a couple of times. I remember getting into a crazy tug-a-war bidding contest with this one other guy for a 2000 Brady Contender rookie. Wounded up winning the contest for an absolutely ridiculous price of $490, which was like 3x what it was worth. The card wasn't even PSA 9 worthy, but I didn't care. I was throwing down the smack down at the time. Of course, I was like "What the hell was I thinking of" the very next morning image

Man, I'm lucky the card is worth 3x what I paid for now image

• Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    I was going to start the same kind of thread. I will plagarize a post from Net54 to state my bewilderment as well.

"There are a number of prices for star cards in this auction that make absolutely no sense to me. For starters, $1200 for an ugly 62 Topps Spahn 8, a card that according to VCP has sold for an average of $150? Over $3000 for a 62 Koufax 8, a nice one granted, but still. Close to $400 for a 65 Topps Banks 8, a card that is incredibly easy to find for $150 or less? What a great racket this auction biz is."

• Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭

"make you wish you had hardwood floors lol"i do they are very cold in wintertime,otherwise the dont remind me much of 62 topps cards image
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think it's just a matter of too much testosterone. This is not uncommon in a real heated bidding war. After a while, you don't really care about the money. You just want to beat the other guy.

Got into this myself a couple of times. I remember getting into a crazy tug-a-war bidding contest with this one other guy for a 2000 Brady Contender rookie. Wounded up winning the contest for an absolutely ridiculous price of $490, which was like 3x what it was worth. The card wasn't even PSA 9 worthy, but I didn't care. I was throwing down the smack down at the time. Of course, I was like "What the hell was I thinking of" the very next morning image

Man, I'm lucky the card is worth 3x what I paid for now image >>

There would be no bidding war if you hit the button for BIN @ $200. image
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Bidding wars happen for very high end or rare stuff that people need for sets with lower pops. All of these cards meet none of that criteria. A 1952 Mantle in PSA 8 for 1 million is more realistic than the Cepeda 1962 card for 5 grand. There were obviously some bids that were not legit. Lets get real.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The buy it now for $200 is bought, and I'll bet that buyer submits it in the next set of Goodwin auctions.
  • Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> The buy it now for $200 is bought, and I'll bet that buyer submits it in the next set of Goodwin auctions. Text >>

LOL....I was thinking the same thing.
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭

<< <i>I was going to start the same kind of thread. I will plagarize a post from Net54 to state my bewilderment as well.

"There are a number of prices for star cards in this auction that make absolutely no sense to me. For starters, $1200 for an ugly 62 Topps Spahn 8, a card that according to VCP has sold for an average of $150? Over $3000 for a 62 Koufax 8, a nice one granted, but still. Close to $400 for a 65 Topps Banks 8, a card that is incredibly easy to find for $150 or less? What a great racket this auction biz is." >>

Agreed. I honestly don't think these prices are for real. Or better yet, until all these auction houses disclose the under bidder lists, then I'll take them all as shady operations and will not be bidding on anything they offer.

Afterall, the auction house knows how much a bidder is willing to bid. They can just shill them up to that level. Some of these high bidders may have unlimited funds and may indeed want these items at the astronomical prices they're being bid to, but c'mon. What person with any common sense would be willing to pay $1700 for a '61 Banks 9 when you can typically buy one from almost any dealer in the country for less than half that amount. It's a $600 card at best.
    Same with '62 Spahn 8, somewhat tough, but not worth a dime over $300.

Obviously some bidders don't have the time to research prices and search out the best deal, but I find these auctions results a little hard to believe.

A '73 Namath 9 sold for over $250. You can buy that on ebay any week for under $100. Geez!

And I'm not talking about just Goodwins' auctions, you see examples in all these other auction houses as well.
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    It would not surprise me that most of this money was shilled, possibly by multiple bidders. I have been to local live auctions and the callers "call" an accepted bid from absolutley no one and go back to the other bidder awaiting a higher bid. If they can do this at a live auction, how easy do you think it is for an internet/phone auction?
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Can't wait to see their nice shiny ad in the next SMR.
  • Options

<< <i>And I'm not talking about just Goodwins' auctions, you see examples in all these other auction houses as well. >>

Totally agree. It's amazing to see how some auction houses have absurd final bids for some items. Then again, I have seen some items sell a lot cheaper than it should've.

FWIW a signed T206 I mentioned in another thread sold for $1,200+ before the premium at the American Memorabilia auction. Granted, it was signed twice, but a single signed T206 of the same guy sold for around $330 tonight on ebay, easily $1,000 cheaper than the other after premium.
  • Options

<< <i>Can't wait to see their nice shiny ad in the next SMR. >>

along with a nice picture of the card and a caption about the newest "record breaking price" for this particular card in PSA 8.

this is insane, completely pathetic, and actually very sad.

I believe that at least half of the auctions from these "powerhouse" auction houses are rigged and bid up. I know it can never be proven, but I believe it's true.

Looks like you have a bunch of rich old guys that are bidding the f*** out of each other.

OP, thanks for sharing this.
  • Options
    stupid money for a nice card, but a stupid buyer nonetheless.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AND, now these new "realized prices" will skew VCP slightly when you're looking at the average. If you go auction by auction it will stick out like a sore thumb, but the average will rise.

If VCP has 7 1962 Topps #401 cards to average, and 6 are around $200 and one is $5000 then the average is now almost $900. image
  • Options

<< <i>AND, now these new "realized prices" will skew VCP slightly when you're looking at the average. If you go auction by auction it will stick out like a sore thumb, but the average will rise.

If VCP has 7 1962 Topps #401 cards to average, and 6 are around $200 and one is $5000 then the average is now almost $900. image >>

Very good point. Perhaps they should just average using the 95% standard deviation.
    My sets:
    1977 Topps Star Wars - "Space Swashbucklers"
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    vcp is going to a new system of tossing the high and lows.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

<< <i>Just another example of why buyers should use eBay. >>

or maybe Just another example of why sellers should use auction houses!image
  • Options
    <or maybe Just another example of why sellers should use auction houses!

So they can have an imaginary shill win their card? (One month later)......"Uh sorry sir, we couldn't send your check because the buyer backed out, but we can recycle it into our next auction"

LOL
  • Options
    Think people why are there no more nice material at card shows and their is only auctions, Because the collector is the big mark for auction houses.
  • Options
    I can't believe I'm saying this, but did anyone else get a Christmas card from Memory Lane recently? Take 10 minutes to actually digest that thought.

Their record prices are due to their marketing savvy!! They're just so savvy, weaving in an out of the market to get the best prices. Us mortals can only hope that a little bit of their magic can rub off on us.

Go through almost any set on vintage card prices and it's comical.

Take a 54 Topps Jackie Robinson PSA 8. Here are the results..

11/30/07 Goodwin $835.00
    10/27/07 eBay Auction $721.00
    9/15/07 Memory Lane $1,006.98
    7/9/07 eBay Auction $705.55
    7/3/07 eBay Auction $710.00
    6/17/07 eBay Auction $800.00
    4/13/07 Memory Lane $912.98
    12/14/06 Memory Lane $1,778.95
    11/13/06 eBay $834.45
    11/2/06 eBay $755.00
    9/30/06 eBay $791.00
    8/11/06 Memory Lane $3,362.60
    7/17/06 eBay $1,325.00
    6/22/06 Mastro $987.00

Of course Memory Lane has the highest prices, its got to be those slick catalogs, right? And thats a fairly common card.

• Options
    or maybe it was 2 collectors who don't trust Ebay and got caught up in a bidding war and 4 or 5 grand is like 40 or 50 bucks to other people. I used to go to quite a few auctions for coins, cards, guns , knives and antiques and just stood back and shook my head as 2 or 3 people get into the (I am going to win no matter what) attitude. sort of like some ebay auctions where you have 2 or 3 of the top guys in the registry going for a 1986 Ryan PSA 10 or whatever card they need. I like VCP to track old auctions , but we must remember it is a guide not a bible because if it was a bible then the prices of cards would just keep going down because nobody wants to pay more then the last person did. So what if 2 people over pay for a card? who knows maybe it will bump to 9 or 10 LOL. I think Ebay should allow 14 day auctions so more people could see and bid on the items.
  • Options
    AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    Anybody who would accuse Bill Goodwin of shilling or any other disreputable business practice is exhibiting their hobby ignorance. Goodwin is one of the hobby's true gentlemen and his reputation is sterling.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I was expecting the Goodwin Auction to be an PSA 9 for that price.
  • Options

<< <i>Anybody who would accuse Bill Goodwin of shilling or any other disreputable business practice is exhibiting their hobby ignorance. Goodwin is one of the hobby's true gentlemen and his reputation is sterling. >>

I second that. Downright wrong to say that about Bill. Meet the man in person, and you'll change your mind.
  • Options
    Credibility is everything when that is lost so is your buisiness.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Credibility is everything when that is lost so is your buisiness. >>

There is at least one or two auction houses that seem to have lost credibility but still seemingly command record prices. I think there are a handful of collectors who don't care about potentially getting shilled if the card is rare enough... (Whether a type, in a certain grade, etc.)
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    bifff257bifff257 Posts: 751 ✭✭

<< <i> stupid money for a nice card, but a stupid buyer nonetheless. >>

I feel that there are some members of our society that like the prestige / status of winning a card through a high profile auction house.....Even though they could find the same card at a lesser price with another outlet(ebay).

Much in the same way some people will not be caught dead at a Walmart or K-Mart.....They will overpay at a higher end store for the same goods.....

• Options
    if somebodys actually stupid enuff to pay that much almost $5,000for a 200$ psa card,im sure hes more than willing to be stupid enuff to sell it to em, i sure would in a heartbeatimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> stupid money for a nice card, but a stupid buyer nonetheless. >>

I feel that there are some members of our society that like the prestige / status of winning a card through a high profile auction house.....Even though they could find the same card at a lesser price with another outlet(ebay).

Much in the same way some people will not be caught dead at a Walmart or K-Mart.....They will overpay at a higher end store for the same goods..... >>

IF the auctions aren't being shilled up, that is the only possible explanation!
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I like Goodwin as well but these prices seem just downright silly. If there was some transparency in these auctions such as an outside auditing firm that handled the bidding process then I would not be so shocked. Look, if you let yourselves bid in an auction where you know what the bid amounts are is just leaving yourself open to criticism.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    IWDMBII
  • Options
    IWDMBII2image