Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What Althletes have you seen..

What althletes have you seen in a chance meeting?

1992- I lived in Chicago for about 6 monthes and worked at Lord and Taylor department store on Lakeshore drive, I went up to a floor to deliver a box of clothes and the whole floor was off limits to the public because this GINORMOUS man Frank Thomas with his STUNNING wife/girlfriend were sitting down checking out TONS of clothes.

2002/3- I walk into a liquer store and I see John Hannah, I said hello to him, he said hello right back and walked away.

2006- About 6:35am Dunkin Donuts stopped in to get my coffee and this large African American guy is standing in front of me that looked like Jim Rice. I said hello Mr.Rice how are you today? He was very polite and shook my hand, on the way out he slapped my shoulder and mentioned it was nice to meet me.

Comments

• Options
    1. Have played poker with George Karl a number of times

2. Last summer (2006) was playing in my state's amateur match play golf event and in the 1st round i drew Tony Romo. Play with him that day, and then kept in touch and played with him again a month later at my home course

3. Played golf with Leroy Butler

pLUS MORE THAT I CANNOT REMEMBER RIGHT NOW/
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From Lord and Taylor to a corrections officer. Thats about as 180 degrees as it gets.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    I saw Cammy at Starbucks a month before he passed away.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    I have seen and but never talked to Michael Jordan a few times in the locker room at Medinah C&C. Even in the locker room he is tough to get close to.
  • Options
    I was outside of my hotel in Miami waiting for a cab and OJ Simpson walked by. He gave me a pat on the shoulder and said "How's it goin'?" image

I didn't know whether to be happy that I just met OJ, or just plain SCARED... image
    PAVEL BURE "THE RUSSIAN ROCKET"

I am looking for ANY Pavel Bure cards you might be willing to sell off. Please just send me a PM if you do. Thanks!!

Successful Transactions with: bigfische, BobaFett72, Karb
  • Options
    It's funny you asked. I was in a hardware store today and Rocky Bleir was buying christmas lights.
  • Options
    I (literally) ran into John Force as he was coming out of a restroom at a Texaco gas station. I saw his souvenir trailer parked outside when I went in, but I didn't think he was driving it. I said "Hi Mr Force!" and he shook my hand (I always hoped he had washed it), slapped me on the back and asked how I was. He seemed like a genuine fellow.

My wife said she and a friend from her church rode in an elevator with Michael Jordan at a hotel in Indianapolis. They were on a church youth group trip, and they were staying in the same hotel as the Bulls who were in town for a game. She said he was very polite to them and was -very- tall. image
    2001-2014 Topps Heritage complete!
  • Options

I caddied for Ozzie Newsome back in the early 1990s.

Also played high school football with Mike Vrabel. I was starting strong-side Tackle and he was Tight End. We had complex blocking schemes, so I had to tell him who to block on most running plays. He was one of our few two way starters, and learning the running plays wasn't his top priority.
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    1998 - I was driving between Tuscon and Pheonix and stopped for gas. The guy across from was asking if you could use either debit or credit card at the pump (pay at the pump was new at the time). He was very nice, and he looked familiar, but I couldn't figure it out. Then on the way home it dawned on me that it was Greg LeMond.

2004 - Saw Ric Flair at the Marriott in St. Louis in line to check in. Had a sports coat on and was very professional and personable.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I went to a bowling alley one night and ran into a girl that I had a huge crush on . . . she broke the news to me that she was engaged. Moments later she was introducing me to her fiance, Jason Hanson.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I once met Emmitt Smith at a restaurant here in Florida. He told me that if I didn't start buying every card ever made by him he would come to my house every morning and do the moonwalk and other various dance moves in my driveway. I said okay fine! What else could I do? I don't need that kinda publicity.

Now you know my story and why I collect his cards

• Options

<< <i>2004 - Saw Ric Flair at the Marriott in St. Louis in line to check in. Had a sports coat on and was very professional and personable. >>

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Back in the late 80's and early 90's, my mother worked at the YMCA across the street from where most sports teams stay when they are in town. I spent a lot of time there, too, in the summer and actually got to meet quite a few players. My favorite was Carney Lansford. That guy was easily in the top 5 nicest athletes I've met. Whenever he saw me there, he'd ask how many seats I'd like for the series and sho nuff there would be tickets for me at Gate X. Usually 3 or 4 rows behind home plate on the lower level. I never missed a game when the A's were in town.

I remember people would stand around and watch McGwire on the bench press. Even back then when he was with the A's he was a monster in the weight room. One time he said, "hey kid, can I get a spot?" after he'd loaded up quite a few 45lb plates on the bar. I laughed and said sure. Obvoiusly, my help wasn't needed, he just wanted to make a kid's day.

I met Gilbert Brown of the Packers back in June of 1997. He was walking toward me and as he got close, I said, "you ain't so big"! He laughed, patted me on the shoulder pretty firmly. As he kept walking, I heard him say, "now THAT is something I've never heard!" I ran into him at a local signing a little while back and said the same thing to him. He said "I remember you...that simaget was funny!"
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    I had dinner with eight members of the Montreal Canadiens in a Winnipeg restaurant in 1992. Ok, so they were a few tables away but Chris Nilan nonetheless motioned for me to come over and get everybody's autograph. I was 15. (I could get dementia tomorrow but I wouldn't forget that night.)
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Played craps with Holyfield and Foreman (wasn't playing - just chilling) at mandalay. Ron Jeremy came up to say hi to them. Mondo Bizzarro.

Talked to Rudy Tomjanovich at the Lodge here in Chicago one night. Sitting on a barstool he was still towering.

Back when superbowl parties were unregulated in Vegas, went to a good one at C2K at the Venetian - many of the Broncos were there and sitting by me - whooping it up in a big way.

Used to live in the house at Wrigley Field that has the Budweiser sign on the roof - Cubs would come over after games all of the time as we usually had a party going - sometimes even Grace or Sosa (never Ryno though) - a crazy relief pitcher used to come in his uniform sometimes (Randy something?) and ride home on his three wheeled bicycle - pickled to the gills.

Finally, and best, was having a few drinks at the beach/pool bar at the Delano in Miami - it is a small bar - 12 seats or so - sat next to Harold Minor and across from George Clooney. Made the $15 margaritas much more interesting. Jeter lead off the game with a HR and Minor started cursing and got on the phone to his bookie - forgot to get his bet in. Was a great hour or two until girls figured out Clooney was at the bar - then it turned into a steady stream of girls throwing themselves at him. Baby Jordan asked Clooney if he could send some our way. Clooney then told all the girls that it was Michael Jordan (Minor) and Cam Neely (me). Sadly, no Miami girls had heard of Neely. Minor left with two smoking hot girls, Clooney left with his girlfriend. I left with a $600 bar tab.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Back in February of 2005 our family took a vacation in the Bahamas at the Atlantis resort.

My son and I were down by the beach about mid-day and we decided to get a bite to eat at a beach-side restaurant. The beach and restaurant were for the most part deserted. We approached the restaurant to place our order in line behind another father and son. Looking casually at him I was stunned when I noticed it was Ken Griffey Jr. I extended my hand and said it was a pleasure to meet him as he shook my hand with a firm grip and a friendly smile. Didn't ask for an autograph because he was spending time with his son, pleasant memory anyway..

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    most recently, hung out with Damon Berryhill and his wife at a baseball camp in Arizona a couple weeks ago, while our boys were participating, real nice people....i was told Damon was managing a Fall League team there and he came to check things that Sunday....kind of a quiet guy, but he said i could send him a few cards for autographs....his wife was real cool, she let my daughter take pictures with her cell phone image

then, on the plane ride home, we sat right behind Bruce Jenner....my wife started making cracks about his face lift....then i found out he's actually one of the Kardashians image
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Here in Mass, former Boston Bruins player John Carter was our UPS driver during the off season. Saw him every day had him sign tons of his cards LOL
    The following pre-season, he was hit in the eye by his own teammates's stick and was never the same. Ended up making a short comeback with the Sharks, had a few operations on his eye and ended up having it removed image
    Always had his sense of humor about it though. He'd stop in once in a while to see us and one time took his fake eye out for us. I remember him telling me the hardest thing about losing his eye was he kept hitting his mailbox while backing out of his driveway. Great guy

At the Saab/Cadillac/Hummer dealer I worked at in Scottsdale, I met a lot of players that had Hummers or Escalades
    Probably won't remember all, but some names:
    Mike Tyson (posted story about that one in the autos thread)
    Charles Barkley (was friendly)
    Dan Mahrle (sp?)
    Randy Johnson (miserable, cheap, jerk)
    Jesse Orosco (real nice guy)- got to tell him how much I hated him in 86 LOL - he laughed too
    Eric Swann was in all the time (great guy)
    Freddie Jones (his wife was Marion Jones) had him sign about 30 cards and he was happy to do it. Very cool guy. He had to ask Marion for permission to by a car cover for his Hummer (she said no)
    Jeremy Roenick - (another nice, friendly guy)
    Levi Jones - cool - bought 6 vehichles from us for his family members when he was drafted
    Luis Gonzalez - very nice guy
    Drummer for Pearl Jam was in often - he was cool. forgot his name though

plenty of others I can't think of at the moment

Also, my cousin has worked for the Red Sox since 1979 and back in those days, He could get me into the clubhouse. Long before security locked that stuff down.
    First time I went in there, I met Yaz who was sitting in front of his locker in his director's chair smoking a cigarette LOL. I read earlier this year, he's still smoking.
    Also saw the backside of Jim Rice as he was going into the showers (not proud of it, but I'll bet I'm the only one here that can honestly say that)

lots of well known musicians throughout the years too. A good part of my life seemed to be just being in the right place at the right time.

thanks for letting me type some of these memories

• Options
    bluemarlinbluemarlin Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    I was shopping at the mall a few years back and saw Kevin Garnett and a buddy of his buying a bunch of clothes.

Jake
  • Options
    Zep, you didn't happen to get Roenick's auto, did you?

I am looking for ANY Pavel Bure cards you might be willing to sell off. Please just send me a PM if you do. Thanks!!

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    When my sister lived and worked near the Redskins training camp, she was the hairstylist for Chip Lohmiller and Chris Cooley. I found out about the Chris Cooley thing after she moved. I was so annoyed, I would have loved to have gone and just 'bump' into him there, just to say hello and thats it.

Years ago, my brother ran into Gary Clark at a gas station.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Zep, you didn't happen to get Roenick's auto, did you? >>

Yeah got him on my autograph book that time. I had also met him years earlier at a golf tournament and got him on a 91 Score card and might have him on the baseball I brought with me too to the tournament. Got some funky autos on that one of different sports stars and celebrities.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Zep, you didn't happen to get Roenick's auto, did you? >>

Yeah got him on my autograph book that time. I had also met him years earlier at a golf tournament and got him on a 91 Score card and might have him on the baseball I brought with me too to the tournament. Got some funky autos on that one of different sports stars and celebrities. >>

Very nice!! image

• Options
    My husband is my Big Star. He played football (weakside linebackuh) for Coach Ralph "Shug" Jordan in 1961-1962 for the Auburn Tigers. I've been to a few games and "saw" a lot of people.....
  • Options
    Bo Jackson and Kyle Petty at the OKC National Memorial when I was the Assist. Security Supervisor there. Brian Bosworth at KFC. My mother ran into Billy Sims at the grocery store. Barry Switzer at a little league baseball game. Also, Vice President Chaney, Mickey Rooney, Matt Damon, Orlando Bloom and Ron Jeremy at the Memorial also. Toby Keith, Hulk Hogan, The Rock and Ron Simmons when I worked security at the airport.
  • Options
    We watched a lot of Auburn youngin's turn into NFL stars, including:

AUBURN IN THE NFL - 2007 SEASON Updated 11/25/07

Jersey
    # Last Name First Name Position Team Comments

58 Dansby Karlos OLB Arizona Cardinals
    29 Hood Roderick CB Arizona Cardinals
    72 Gandy Wayne OT Atlanta Falcons Torn ACL - Left knee, out for 2007 season (10/09)
    30 Irons David DB Atlanta Falcons
    PS Williams Travis OLB Atlanta Falcons PS Addition (11/15)
    66 Grubbs Ben OG Baltimore Ravens
    74 McClover Stanley DE Carolina Panthers
    71 Anderson Willie OT Cincinnati Bengals
    30 Irons Kenny RB Cincinnati Bengals Torn ACL, Left knee - out for 2007 season
    32 Johnson Rudi RB Cincinnati Bengals
    84 Carter Tim WR Cleveland Browns
    90 Ratliff Jay NT Dallas Cowboys
    80 Aromashodu Devin WR Indiannapolis Colts Signed (11/14)
    PS Jackson Tommy DT Kansas City Chiefs Practice Squad
    23 Brown Ronnie RB Miami Dolphins Torn ACL, Right knee - out for 2007 season (10/23)
    97 Johnson Spencer DT Minnesota Vikings
    49 Richardson Tony FB Minnesota Vikings
    54 Thomas Dontarrius OLB Minnesota Vikings
    44 Evans Heath FB New England Patriots
    PS Duckworth Tim OG New Orleans Saints Practice Squad
    27 Jacobs Brandon RB New York Giants Played at AU - Trans. to So. Ill.
    53 Torbor Reggie OLB New York Giants
    51 Spikes Takeo OLB Philadelphia Eagles
    73 Simmons Kendall OG Pittsburgh Steelers Signed 5 year contract ext. (09/02)
    73 McNeill Marcus OT San Diego Chargers
    62 Gray Chris OG Seattle Seahawks
    54 Herring Will LB Seattle Seahawks
    PS Hobbs Kevin CB Seattle Seahawks PS Addtion (11/15)
    87 Obomanu Ben WR Seattle Seahawks
    86 Taylor Courtney WR Seattle Seahawks
    PS Gunn Marquies DE Tampa Bay Buccaneers PS Addition (10/16)
    24 Williams Cadillac RB Tampa Bay Buccaneers Torn Patellar Tendon - Right knee - Out for 2007 Season (10/03)
    2 Bironas Rob K Tennessee Titans Played at AU - Trans. to Ga. Southern
    17 Campbell Jason QB Washington Redskins
    19 Mix Anthony WR Washington Redskins Signed (11/20)
    62 Pucillo Mike OG Washington Redskins
    22 Rogers Carlos CB Washington Redskins Two torn tendons - Right knee - out for 2007 season (10/30)
    53 Washington Marcus OLB Washington Redskins

• Options
    War Damn Eagle !!!
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great stuff guys!
  • Options
    I met Chief Jay Strongbow at the airport once, I was a kid mind you...his driver forgot to pick him up. My Dad offered to drive him to his hotel, he accepted...pretty neat.

Also bumped into Gregg Jeffries when he was in the minors, after a game wandering the streets of Providence (they were playing against the PawSox in Pawtucket that day)

Met Don Mattingly on the streets of boston a couple of years back, after the infamous Arod/Varitek brawl game. He was very very nice, no one recognized him but me lol.
  • Options

<< <i>When my sister lived and worked near the Redskins training camp, she was the hairstylist for Chip Lohmiller and Chris Cooley. I found out about the Chris Cooley thing after she moved. I was so annoyed, I would have loved to have gone and just 'bump' into him there, just to say hello and thats it.

Years ago, my brother ran into Gary Clark at a gas station. >>

Where is the Redskins Training Camp, anyway? My husband told me he would like to go watch - and you better believe, I'll be right there with him !!!

(P.S. Carlos Rogers was my favorite little mean dude at Auburn - you gotta know that he and Sean were tight.....)
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    Saw Andre the Giant & his business manager in a hotel bar in Columbus Ohio in 1988 or so (there had been a match next door earlier in the evening).
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>When my sister lived and worked near the Redskins training camp, she was the hairstylist for Chip Lohmiller and Chris Cooley. I found out about the Chris Cooley thing after she moved. I was so annoyed, I would have loved to have gone and just 'bump' into him there, just to say hello and thats it.

Where is the Redskins Training Camp, anyway? My husband told me he would like to go watch - and you better believe, I'll be right there with him !!!

(P.S. Carlos Rogers was my favorite little mean dude at Auburn - you gotta know that he and Sean were tight.....) >>

They actually do Training camp at the normal training facility in Ashburn Virginia (45 min from DC.)
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    I met Dave Winfield when I was a kid. WOW that guy was HUGE (i was pretty small, but still...). super nice too.

met lots of other guys, but Mr. Winfield stands out the most.

well, Kenoy Kennedy stands out too, but he wasn't as nice. jerk

i met most of the Broncos cheerleaders from 2002-2004 too, very nice image
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • Options
    maxdomemaxdome Posts: 87 ✭✭✭
    In the late 1980's I use to see Reggie Jackson at Gold's Gym. I never asked him for a autograph. One day he came up to me and asked if I could spot him on the bench press. He was doing reps with 315 on the bar. I also saw Dennis Rodman at a Maui airport.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

(P.S. Carlos Rogers was my favorite little mean dude at Auburn - you gotta know that he and Sean were tight.....) >>

They actually do Training camp at the normal training facility in Ashburn Virginia (45 min from DC.) >>

Thank you! We really do love our Auburn Tigers and still follow all of our former Auburn Tigers.....War Eagle !!!
  • Options
    Met Dominque Wilkins in 1993 at a mall. He was so tall! You see these guys on TV and just don't realize how tall they are. He was a very nice guy and chatted for a few minutes.

Robert
  • Options
    forgot to mention Pete Rose was pretty nice when i met him in Vegas last year. i told him Pujols was going to break his hit record, just to get him going. he spent about 10 minutes explaining why that would NEVER EVER EVER happen image pete loves the game.
    White Whales:
  • Options
    nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    Franco Harris got on my plane in Pittsburgh once. He got on after everyone else--and sat somewhere in back of me in coach!
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    Not exactly an athlete, but I did see Caroline Kennedy at Sotheby's one day while I was looking at the Halper Auction. I was going to say something to her, but it had only been a month or so after her brother was killed in the airplane crash and I figured best that I should just let her be...
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Sweet Caroline, Neil Diamond kept that a mystery all this time.
    White Whales: