Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Rack vs. Tray?

What is the difference between a 1979 Topps Football Unopened Wax Pack Rack & a 1979 Topps Football Unopened Wax Pack Tray?
---------------------------------------------
Authorized wholesale dealer for BCW, if you need any supplies let me know and I will get you a quote

Comments

• I dont know too much on this but the obvious wax trays have 3 wax packs and I would assume a tray is less likely to be resealed and is harder to find.
    imageimageimage
  • BBCE has both, the tray is actually $5 cheaper, but it appears they both have 3 'packs' I am thinking the only difference is the packaging......but that is just a guess from the pics on BBCE
    ---------------------------------------------
    Authorized wholesale dealer for BCW, if you need any supplies let me know and I will get you a quote
  • 1neatstuff1neatstuff Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭
    not much difference except from my experience the trays cards seem to not be as nice when pulled out..i have gotten better graded cards from the racks as opposed to the trays..i think the trays are from leftover stock so therefore the cards arent always as nice...just my thoughts...terry...ebay user name 1neatstuffimage
  • RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭
    Condition of the cards not withstanding there is no difference. It was just the packaging. 1979 was the last year Topps produced wax trays of every sport except baseball (1980 was the last year for it) so it was a "transition" year in terms of their 3-pack packaging concept.

Just a word of caution- 1980 Topps football cards were produced in 1979 wrappers as well as their own 1980 wrappers. I honestly do not know, though, whether the 1980-in-1979-wrappers were produced in wax racks.