Home U.S. Coin Forum

OT: Scammers have reached a new low

This is OT, but, who knows, there may be coins involved. This arrived today in my inbox, smiley face and all. No one has ever accused me of being overly patriotic, but this is an appeal to the completely soulless.

Hello,

I am. Eric miller and I am a British soldier attached to UN peace keeping force in Iraq. I am the commanding officer of the First Battalion of the Royal Irish Regiment.

As you may know, everyday there are several cases of insurgent attacks and suicide bombs going on here. We have managed to move funds belonging to some demised persons who were attacked and killed through these attacks.

The total amount is US$15 Million dollars in cash. We want to move this money to you, so that you can help keep our share for us until when we shall come over to meet you. My partner and I will take 70%, . while you take 30%. No strings attached! Just help us move it out of Iraq which is a war zone right now. We plan on using Diplomatic courier and shipping the money out in two large metallic Boxes, using diplomatic immunity.If you are interested, I will send you the full details. My job is to find a good partner that we can trust and is ready to assist us. Can we trust you? When you receive this letter, kindly send me an e-mail signifying your interest including your most confidential telephone/fax numbers and other contact details for quick communication.

This business is risk free. The boxes can be shipped out in 48hrs.Please If you are Interested in assisting, kindly reply through this PRIVATE and CONFIDENTIAL Email for further documentations and briefing, (ericmillerl@myway.com <mailto:ericmillerl@myway.com&gtimage.

PLEASE, TREAT THIS PROPOSAL AS TOP SECRET.

Respectfully,
MAJOR. ERIC H MILLER

Comments

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yet another variation of the Nigerian scam.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • They must've found another load of Sadams Stash....!!!!
    ......Larry........image
  • Looks like the Nigerians are starting to master English grammar and spelling. Now if they could just manage to master logic and intelligence, they might be able to fool someone.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes Major, I am up for the challenge. The following are my most confidential phone and fax numbers. Treat these as Top Secret Ultra.

1-800-For-Bush (tel)
    1-800-The-Prez (fax)

Being a secret advisor to the President gives me the best chance to succeed with your mission objectives.

Please send me the $15 MILLION so I can begin counting it for you.
    I will keep your $10.5 MILL in safety until your Iraqi war tour is completed. Should you not make it out alive, I will donate it to the charity of your choosing. And in the meantime, I will spend my $4.5 MILLION like a drunken sailor on liberty.

Your confidant,

Agent Roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PLEASE, TREAT THIS PROPOSAL AS TOP SECRET >>

Well, so much for that!image
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio

• << <i>Looks like the Nigerians are starting to master English grammar and spelling. Now if they could just manage to master logic and intelligence, they might be able to fool someone. >>

THe sad thing is they do fool people... Don't ask me how but they do.

I know a pastor up in Alaska that fell for it... 30K worth. Wiped him and a friend out.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Web Application Architect - ColdFusion, AJAX, CSS, XHTML, JavaScript, Oracle, MySQL
  • I see a lot of these scams on the net and also see the people that sometimes fall for them, unfortunately.

Today though, I saw a pretty good one. A man came into our police station with a letter stating he was a candidate for being a mystery shopper, and that the check enclosed was for him to purchase certain items with, and the main goal of being this "mystery shopper" was to be able to wire the funds back via Western Union. Basically the exact same scam everyone is familiar with but a twist to it-it was wrote EXTREMELY well, and it was believable for the easily fooled. Not a typo on the page, and it was impressive. Of course the check was good looking, but we all know it was fake.

The letter went on to explain how the person was supposed to spend certain amounts at specific locations(Radio Shack, Burger King, Wal-Mart, etc...), and then wire back the remaining thousands of dollars. Basically the mindset of a victim would be that when they see that they can actually cash the check, they would see that the money is able to be spent, therfore making them feel that the check and deal is legit.

I was so impressed with this one that I made copies so I can have them for future reference.

On another note, I always play along with these scammers and waste their time, getting them to send me these fake checks. I have them send them right to the police station, figuring if I can waste one of their checks on me it might save an innocent victim somewhere else. Just today I had one email me saying I was a "SCAMMER" and that the FBI and local police were going to be knocking on my door. Funny.......

Mike C
    Mike C.
    mclark202@insightbb.com

Positive BST references: Weather11am, Mrmom, Metalsman, GAB, Mash, FishyOne, Cone10, Keepdachange, etc...
  • theumptheump Posts: 634 ✭✭
    There are entire websites that are devoted to people who love to bait these scumbags. They know these offers are BS but they play along and make the scammers do things in order for them to get their money. Some of the things these people have gotten these scammers to do are hilarious.

Of course some bleeding hearts think these people are rascists. Screw em I say.
  • BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Some general rules of greed:

1. You can never win a contest that you never entered

2. Nobody will ever offer you a fortune over the internet

3. Nobody will ever give you money over the phone.

4. If it is too good to be true.........then it is!

5. No, you did not win the Irish Sweepstakes!

6. The Assistant to the Second Under Secretary of State
    of Nigeria is not really gonna give you 10 million dollars.

7. Ed McMann is not gonna ring your doorbell to tell you
    that you won the Readers Digest first prize!
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file