Home U.S. Coin Forum

Unstamped Fake 1921-D Walker From China

I bought this as part of a display I'm making to mount on the wall.
It will NEVER leave my possession as real. Thought collectors should
be able to see what we're up against.

Steveimage

Collecting XF+ toned Barber dimes

Comments

• 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    Pardon my ignorance but what are the markers for a counterfeit?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the rim on that thing pimply?

Sorta looks it to me, but it might just be the pic
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭

The rims on that thing are aweful, thank goodness!

So how did you acquire it?

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    looks cast !! Yeah, where did you get it?
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • It does not look cast in hand. It is an excellent forgery, right weight too.

<Pardon my ignorance but what are the markers for a counterfeit? >
    If I remember the 1969 (?) Hobby Act any depiction of US coin or paper money
    between 50-150% of the original must be stamped COPY or REPLICA.

<So how did you acquire it?>
    They are illegal to sell here in the US so I can't be specific. But, ask yourself
    who wouldn't care if they were illegal here. PM me if you have to know.

Steve

Collecting XF+ toned Barber dimes
  • HORRIBLE job on the date...
    Looking to buy Morgans in ACG, INS, IGA, Old PCI photo, and Hannes Tulving holders.
  • percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    The rim is too thick.
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    The glued on date is a nice feature. You can easily change it to any date you want—need a 1920-D? Just scrape off the “1” and add a new “0.” Maybe a 1922-D would be nice to have….too.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It does not look cast in hand. It is an excellent forgery, right weight too.

<Pardon my ignorance but what are the markers for a counterfeit? >
    If I remember the 1969 (?) Hobby Act any depiction of US coin or paper money
    between 50-150% of the original must be stamped COPY or REPLICA.

<So how did you acquire it?>
    They are illegal to sell here in the US so I can't be specific. But, ask yourself
    who wouldn't care if they were illegal here. PM me if you have to know.

Steve >>

Let me be a little more specific in my question since I know quite well the a replica coin must have the word Replica or Copy shown on it.

What leads you to believe that this coin is counterfeit?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing, BoyHowdy.
    Your pics are excellent, and allows the experienced folks to pick out the problems readily.
    However, we need to envision a somewhat fuzzier picture of this coin, or maybe even the next generation version of it
    on Ebay, from an 'old estate', going for a 'bargain price' in the closing minutes. And the fine print says no returns,
    (or a 20% restocking fee image ). I'm sure a lot of folks could be burned in this situation.
    Greg
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BotHowdy:

Thanks for sharing. It is an interesting and fortunately still crude fake.

But indeed, we might want to see someone here with the ability to make the picture smaller and more "foggy" to see if suddenly the coin looks like the real mccoy!

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    The coin looks good, but the date looks like a cut-and-paste ransom note.
    I collect circulated U.S. silver
  • Nice ray eminating from the sun.
    OLDER IS BETTER
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Nice ray eminating from the sun.

Yeah-- that must be the UV ray - it's broad 'cause it has so much energy!

(Hmmm...does Miss Liberty look slightly pregnant?)
  • dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    So much talent. So much could be done with it to do right by the world.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    Post a real Walker side by side. image
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bustards must have finally purchased a Redbook, so that they know to counterfeit rare dates rather than non-existant dates.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

imageimage

Several areas of detail would quickly giveaway the fake. (If the date wasn't your first clue) That square ray on top or the bottom rays that should lay behind the gown. The foot stood out easily also. The branch on the reverse has been tooled to show much more detail than the other devices along with the tooling on the feathers between the eagles legs. Other posted have spoke about the rims, and I'm sure there are a dozen other features that the board could point out. Since my photo is so bad it matches the poor photo (sorry boyhowdy) posted.
    OLDER IS BETTER
  • mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If a casting,should be slightly undersize. It does lack the detail of a struck coin. Note especially the fuzziness in "E Pluribus Unum. This thing could fool a good many "uninitiated" collectors, I suspect.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file