Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the difference between a Variety and an Error?

jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
I found a 1979 P wide rim SBA $ today in a bunch of coins I started going through. I think it might grade MS64/65 and was wondering if I would have to pay the "Mint Error" price for grading or if I could just send it in under PCGS's Economy level.

But really, what is the difference anyway?

Comments

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My deffinition is:

Variety, a slight variation in the design that was intended by the mint.

Error, something missed by quality control that would've been corrected had it been caught.

JJ
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A "type" is an intentional change made by the mint to a design or die.

A "variety" is a usually unintentional change made to a die.

An "error" is a coin made incorrectly by normal dies.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A variety is on the Die itself.

An Error is in the striking, or planchet manufacturing.

I usually say "Die Varieties" and "Mechanical Errors"

The confusion comes because either one has been
    historically called an Error -

It's just been in the past 20 years or so that most
    collectors/dealers in this area differentiate between
    Die Varieties and Major Mint Errors.

There are exceptions/overlapping definitions, etc, but
    this is the general usage.

Fred
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doubled dies and overdates are both errors and varieties.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It might be added that these terms are used incorrectly and haphazardly by the hobby.

Not everything seen on coins or the output of dies will fall neatly into one of these cate-
    gories. For instance, a piece of the die breaking off is a die change that is unintentional
    and will create a distinctive coin with a "cud". This is usually considered an error though
    it hasw more properties of a variety. Errors tend to not repeat or, if they do, only briefly
    but such a die will continue to make the same error until it worsens or is stopped. This is
    more an error though because it wasn't like this when the die went into production.

There are numerous coins (and die struck objects) that don't fit neatly in these categories.
    And then there are catalogers who want to refer to the different types of bicentennial Ikes
    as "varieties"!
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doubled Dies and Overdates are Die Varieties,
    that are under the general umbrella of "Errors"

Double Strikes, Off Centers, Off Metals are
    Major Mechanical Errors that also are under
    the general umbrella of "Errors"

The term "Errors" encompasses both Die Varieties and Mechanical Error Strikings.

And, as mentioned, there are overlaps and exceptions to those definitions.
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me, a variety (or "die variety") is in the dies, such that every coin struck from that die pair has the same feature. For example, the 1955 doubled die cent occurred because the die was hubbed twice, and every coin struck from that obverse die is a 1955 doubled die cent.

An error is such that each one is (in a sense) unique. For example, a coin struck on the wrong planchet is an error, as is a broadstrike, an off-center, a double-denomination, a multi-struck coin, etc.

I think confusion arises because the process of creating many of the die varieties is often called an "error", i.e. it was a mistake to hub the 1955 die twice.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My deffinition is:

Variety, a slight variation in the design that was intended by the mint.
    Error, something missed by quality control that would've been corrected had it been caught.

1909 S and plain VDB should be considered varieties,or more correctly, became varieties after the first Lincolns were struck sans the designer's initials then. 1922 "no D" is decidedly an error,not a variety,using the above definition.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file