Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Need advice on selling raw cards on ebay

Up until now, I have sold almost exclusively PSA-slabbed cards with relatively decent success. However, I am getting to the point where a lot of my remaining collection is probably not worth grading (ie: a lot of cards between $1 and $10 value). My question is, what are your top suggestions for how to go about doing this.

Things I already plan on doing:

- for vintage baseball ('58-'80) I plan on scanning at least the front and possibly the back for some cards
- will be posting larger photobucket photos of these cards in my auctions so customer can see good detail of cards.
- for more recent cards (81-90), I will probably group together by player and sell as lots. May scan and post pic of key cards only, but not all.

Some of my biggest questions:

- I usually scan cards that are either slabbed or in card savers. For raw, should I scan them naked (with no protectionimage? This is what I've seen a lot, probably because it's sometimes hard to see corners and edges well if card is in card saver. If yes, how do you avoid damaging cards when taking them off the scanner bed?

- I usually start my PSA auctions at .99 cents because I know there will be enough demand to drive the price up. I am a bit hesitant to do that with these cards though because I have a feeling the demand will be less than for PSA. Should I still list at .99 cents and just take my chances?

- Finally, should I provide an estimate for what condition the card is in? I'm really hesitant to do this in relation to the PSA scale because I don't think that I am expert enough to judge that well. However, I'm not sure making no mention of percieved condition is the right answer either. Can I get away with just saying "See scans", assuming they are nice, big, clear scans? Or do I need to make some attempt at assessing condition?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Jim G
All-time favorite athletes:
Steve Sax, Steve Garvey, Larry Bird, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Andre Agassi, Karch Kiraly, Wayne Gretzky, Ichiro Suzuki, Andres Galarraga, Greg Maddux.
"Make the world a better place... punch both A-Rods in the face (Alex Rodriguez and Andy Roddick)!"

Comments

• Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    Yes take cards out of the sleeves. Much easier to see card. Use tongs to pick them up from the scanner bed. You should give a grade based on your opinion.I would not give it a numeric grade though. If the card looks mint, alot people say nr mint to mint. Just be honest of condition and try to describe it to the best of your ability.Leave the part out of I'am not a professional grader. I think everybody assumes that already. If there are flaws try to describe them. Creases,bent corners,photo specs,centering,etc. Good luck!!
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    I recently started selling off my raw '59 Topps set. Sold almost 200 raw cards. Many buyers have had high praise in their feedback left for my "grading and description"....not one complaint.

I keep it simple and to the point: For example here is a description from a recent auction:

SET BREAK 1959 TOPPS #264 CHICO CARRASQUEL

This card grades EX-NM

Unless noted all cards are crease, wrinkle and mark free.

ALL CARDS GRADE TO PSA STANDARDS WITHOUT REGARD TO CENTERING

See scan for centering.

Link to auction
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    tongs on the scanner bed?? image

....and don't forget when you use the tongs to be wearing rubber gloves and a surgical mask.

Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    lol... I do work for Intel. Maybe I should take them into a clean-room and wear a bunny-suitimage
    Jim G
    All-time favorite athletes:
    Steve Sax, Steve Garvey, Larry Bird, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Andre Agassi, Karch Kiraly, Wayne Gretzky, Ichiro Suzuki, Andres Galarraga, Greg Maddux.
    "Make the world a better place... punch both A-Rods in the face (Alex Rodriguez and Andy Roddick)!"
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    I only said tongs because he seemed paranoid. Hey I'am a coin guy,and we use tongs.image
  • Options
    you can also wear those cotton gloves the coin guys wear image or slip a very very thin piece of paper under the card to flip it up (no need to use fingernails)