Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Grade with crease on back

On a card that appears to be at least a PSA 6 will a crease on the back drop the card to no better than a PSA 4?

Bob

Comments

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Yup. You'll get a five.

Here's my favorite five. It's got a surface wrinkle, too. (on the front, though I don't think it matters.)

• Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Sometimes the front looks pretty nice and the crease on the back gets you a 3.

• Options
    Or even a 2.

imageimage

Robert
    Looking for:
    Any high grade OPC Jim Palmer
    High grade Redskins (pre 1980)
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sometimes the front looks pretty nice and the crease on the back gets you a 3.

image >>

Plus the centering??
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    A crease is an automatic 5 unless of course there are other problems with the card such as the oc examples shown above. If the card would grade higher than a 5 without the crease, a crease will bring the grade to a 5 everytime.

Matt
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    my guess is if your card looks like a 6.. the crease on back drops you to min 4.
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Is this really a standard that PSA uses or is it just assumed? I have never seen anywhere on PSA's grading guidlines that a card with a crease cannot get higher than a 5..

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    From PSA's grading standards

EX 5: Excellent.

On PSA EX 5 cards, very minor rounding of the corners is becoming evident. Surface wear or printing defects are more visible. There may be minor chipping on edges. Loss of original gloss will be more apparent. Focus of picture may be slightly out of register. Several light scratches may be visible upon close inspection, but do not detract from the appeal of the card. Card may show some off-whiteness of borders. Centering must be 85/15 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the back.

VG-EX 4: Very Good-Excellent.

Corners may be slightly rounded. Surface wear is noticeable but modest. May have light scuffing or light scratches. Some original gloss will be retained. Borders may be slightly off-white. A light crease may be visible. Centering must be 85/15 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the back.

A crease isn't mentioned in the PSA 5, but it is on PSA 4??????

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!