Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

It's amazing what you can find when you move

Pulled out the dresser to move it to the new house and behind it I found a England Groat 1553-1554 Queen Mary ICG VG10. I thought I had gotten rid of the coin. Guess I was wrong. image

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the "pickup."

I experienced something similar. In 1993 we moved to our current house. My computer had been in a finished room in the basement where I maintained a database to keep track of my currency collection.

After our movers had arrived, I had to run an errand. When I returned my wife met me at the door and asked if I'd been missing a note from my collection and indeed I had. It was a very scarce, albeit low grade, note that had apparently fallen under the desk after it had been entered into the database several months before. It had been missing all that time and I couldn't quite figure out what had happened to it....

I try to be more careful since then but you never know. Almost makes you want to move more often (NOT!)

imageimage
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    I recently had to move my computer station to have new carpets installed. We found a 2 1/2 Dollar Liberty that I had been wondering about for more than a year, it was wedged between the stand and the rug.image
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    Id be willing to join your moving crews. if I can keep what I find!!!
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Wow, nice find!image

A few months ago I spilled a flexible, partitioned tray with coins off the top sheves of a series of 6' bookcases in a cramped environment down and in back of them. In order to retreive the coins, 3 bookcases full of books would have to be moved, (which ain't gonna happen now).

I have no idea what's back there, I'm hoping to forget the incident so I can be pleasently surprised when I re-discover them.image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    I haven't been finding stuff but I have been 'leaving' stuff.

We have been in a home remodel since last March and I have been hiding liteside coins in the walls and under things. For instance, I left an entire roll of Kennedy halves under the raised footing platform for the woodstove. I stick a note on each package to tell the future "discoverer" what I was up to that day, the weather, perhaps a current event, etc.. Not unlike "Foundation coins" of the past I guess. Anyway we've got Morgan's in kraft paper in the rafters, etc., etc.. I often wonder who will find them and how far into the future the discovery will occur...
  • Options

I can't wait to move!
    imageimage

I have a couch that has to be worth a small fortune.image
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    but I have been 'leaving' stuff.

Oh my, can I be one of your ancestors?image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭

<< <i> but I have been 'leaving' stuff.

Oh my, can I be one of your ancestors?image >>

Only modern liteside crap Laurent...it deserves to be hidden away. image
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    I should mention that I've been cleaning out my parent's home this year and found several boxes of my stuff when they moved from STL to Memphis in mid 1976. Most of it got trashed and nothing with a great deal of $ value, but did find a few "old friends" from when I was in school that were keepers.

And I still have a few unopened boxes in the basement from our 1993 move as well. I'm pretty sure that they're mostly Francis Rath, Alex Malloy and other price lists from the 70s and early 80s. Just can't open them because I'm afraid to see the prices on things from then (e.g., solid VF or better Roman denarii from the 2nd century at $8-15 image).

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found a raw 1875-S US 20-cent piece (also VG10) in my van recently. image

(Inside an envelope I almost threw away, which in turn was inside an old briefcase I hadn't used in a month or two).

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭✭
    cacheman: WHERE do you live?image