Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

50's set builders, a question.

So.....even though my current card budget from the boss (see WIFE) is only about $100/month, I really want to finish my raw 56 topps baseball set this coming year.

I've been working on the set slowly for about 2 years, picking up singles and small lot's on e-Bay and from shows. I'm building a STRICT EX-NM+ set. Also, almost every card I have is centered very well. If I sent it in to PSA, I'd expect PSA 5-7 grades.

So far, I have about 1/3 of the commons, a few minor stars, the Clemente, Aaron and the Yankees team card. The big ones left include Mantle, Mays, Koufax, Williams, Robinson and a few others.

So now the question. What advice can anyone offer on how to get this done on my budget (if possible). I know if I want all of the stars in the grade I'm shooting for, it won't happen. A nice raw or PSA 5 Mantle is $500 alone. I've contemplated picking up the rest of the stars graded, but I think I would have to settle for PSA 1-5. And, for the same $$, I could find at least EX raw copies. Should I just concentrate on the star cards now, figuring the commons can always be picked upped later, or try and get all of the commons so at least the set will 'appear' more complete as the year goes on. Finally, say you were looking at a nice raw EX-NM+ set from 1956, except the Mantle was a PSA 1 with nice eye appeal (maybe a stain/paper loss on the back), and the Williams, Mays, Koufax, etc. were PSA 3-5? Would you feel the set as a whole is lesser or greater than a completely raw set with raw EX stars, or does the piece of mind of at least having the stars "authentic" appeal to you?

Comments?

Comments

• Options
    Bob,

What's the hurry? Why does it have to be completed this year? It sounds like you've been taking your time building it, so I wouldn't rush it at this point. It sounds like you have a very nice set and if you rush to complete it this next year, you are definitely going to have to lower your standards (whether raw or graded) to finsih it on that budget. If it were me, I would slowly continue to build it in the condition that you want and the budget you are allowed.

<< <i>Finally, say you were looking at a nice raw EX-NM+ set from 1956, except the Mantle was a PSA 1 with nice eye appeal (maybe a stain/paper loss on the back), and the Williams, Mays, Koufax, etc. were PSA 3-5? Would you feel the set as a whole is lesser or greater than a completely raw set with raw EX stars >>

Yes! Yes! Yes! The stars are the first thing one looks for and if a potential buyer sees that those are in lesser grade, they are going to think that is indicative of the rest of the set.

David
  • Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    So David -

My reasoning for finishing the set this year is I want to build another set, of coarse (57 fb). I'm afraid if I start that one, I may never finish the baseball set.

And, I don't completely understand the Yes!Yes!Yes! Should I loook for EX raw stars or the lower graded PSA conterparts.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also consider liquidating parts of your collection that no longer interest/excite you, and consider "trading down" your NM '56 cards for Ex/NM (you mentioned some would grade 7) - i.e. 2 for 1. Use these tactics for a couple months and save the $100/month for the Mantle - get it next. It's all downhill and green lights from there. Don't skimp on the stars!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Bob,

When I answered "Yes! Yes! Yes!" I actually mis-understood your question. I thought you were asking whether or not buyers would look at the lower grade stars and just assume that the rest of the set was in the same condition. Sorry about that I had to go back and re-read the question. But to answer that question, I would have to say that I would rather have a raw set that is a consistant Ex throughout rather than having and Ex set with the stars in a lesser PSA grade and knowing for sure they were authentic. But that's just me. You could always pick up the raw Ex stars at shows and measure them and inspect them more closely and still be pretty confident that they are authentic.

Good luck!
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Patience. To do a 50's set right, it takes awhile. I would recommend buying graded stars in as nice a condition as you can afford, and make sure they have good eye appeal. Don't buy 7's that look like 6's just because they're cheap. To do this requires some patience, and in terms of the '56 set there are so many stars and big cards that I would highly recommend you focus on either getting them first or making sure you're taking a balanced approach in terms of buying commons vs. stars. Don't wait until the end to buy the stars. I would NOT recommend buying PSA 1's and 2's of stars just to get the set done.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    This is where I am on most of the sets I am building, even though my previous sales have afforded me a much larger budget. I get all of the commons from one dealer and then I pick up the rest on eBay. But since I am actively working on 9-12 sets, it's a very slow process. Sometimes I get the big cards while other sets that's what I have left to buy. To me, it's the journey that makes it worthwhile because as evidence from the last 4 years, I constantly shift goals.
  • Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    Great responses guys.

I wasn't too fond of the settling for PSA stars in the sub-5 range, now I'm conviced. And great EX-NM stars still can be found at the quarterly show I atttend religously.

Mike - I really don't want to loose any of the NM ones I've worked so hard to find. There's actually a nice shop only a few blocks from work. I went there yesterday just to look around. He had a 56 commons box, so I took a look. His cards were georgous. Problem was they were all priced at full beckett ($12-$16 a piece). I just can't do that much I told him, especially since my set is not that nice. He said he couldn't move on the pricing at all. Bummer. However, the quarterly show is this weekend, so I'll spend my usual 5 hours looking through all the dealers books for the $6 EX-NM commons, and keep an eye out for the star cards NOT priced like PSA 7's.

• Options
    you should keep buying lots of cards and saving all of your eventual doubles, when you want to buy a star card, sell your doubles, throw in your 100 bucks for the month, and then you have more money to spend on an individual card.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like a good goal to take your time with - with my '56 set, I have a VG+ Mantle, but I like it a lot, it's well-centered with good eye appeal. Other than that one and a VG-EX Clemente, the other '56 stars in my set are 5's and 6's, all have good centering. Still have many commons left to go. Works OK for me.