Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Yahoo!! 1960-68 Topps run completed in PSA 8 or Better

Won the pop 6 1962T Witt psa 8 in Bill Goodwin's auction last night allowing me to complete the 1960-68 Topps run in psa 8 or better. Need 4 1959s and 1 1958 to stretch it to 1956-68. Whew!

Comments

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Wow that is quite the accomplishment, congrats!!image
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Outstanding work, Jim!

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    very impresive!!!

how long did this type of project take you? seems like a lot of work. did you do it on budget? i mean did you look for deals on certain cards or did you pick them up when they came available, no matter the price? where do you put them all??

it appears to be a life long project.

great job, congrats
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That Witt is a beast - congratulations Jim.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Unbelievable Dav!

Keep it going!

Frank
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options

Just looking at your set registry amazes me..... One of the top collections in the world.... congratulations and keep it going..... image

• Options
    Congrats Jim. Maybe someday I will finish 1 set.
  • Options
    That is awesome!! Completing one major set from the 50's or 60's in 8 or better is quite an accomplishment, but to have 9 from the 60's and to be 5 cards short for 4 more sets from the 50's is absolutely incredible!!
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Wow Jim. I was just discussing this card with Steve Eberhardt this morning, who has the number one set from 1962 Topps. He was telling me the Witt card is really the hardest card in the set and two people really banged it out to win that. He was wondering if you won the battle. Congrats on finishing a very difficult set.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    Fantastic. Congrats, Jim!

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Thanks guys.

Part of me says did I really spend $7,500 for the Landrum and the Witt in psa 8 when I had perfectly good 7s. But the other far bigger part is elated that I have finished completing my 60s sets(unless I take on 1969) in psa 8 or better.

Baseball Fan,

Its definately a lifelong pursuit. I collect a few other sets in a few other sports besides these but I do operate a budget and I generally pass on cards if I feel the price is too high.

Jim
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Take on 1969. Mantle's last card, Reggie's rookie. You know you want to. image

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely incredible, Jim. A big time congratulations!
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations, Jim
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Jim, Nice job. How about 69's?

Baseball fan,
    We all, including Jim, MOSH, and Spence, etc. collect on a budget.
    Jim's budget is just probably multiples of the national median income.
    He is very agressive to compete against for the low pop cards.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    Guys, If you haven't caught on or don't know.
    Jim is one of the ultimate collectors in the hobby.
    I just checked 308 vintage sets currently listed with more than 60 complete in PSA 8+.
    PSA HOF collection if I recall.
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    Nick, Fuzz

I have the star cards graded in 69 in psa 8 with the rest raw in nrmt-mt. However roughly one third(200 cards) have centering issues.
    If I could buy many of these in one fell swoop maybe I would take it on but these huge sets are exhausting.

Fuzz,

Have you seen the football board on Net 54?
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Some might think this as bragging by Jim, but I don't. If he has the funds available to spend on these cards more power to him!! I find it a privilege that someone with Jim's stature comes on here and shares his interest in collecting, just like the rest of us, no matter how big or small our budget may be. Thanks!!
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    your patients must be fried at times waiting for certain cards to appear.

great job, can't wait to see what's next.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    Yes--it does.

I think I have 30 or so sets I need 5 cards or less in psa 8 to complete. In certain sets the cards do not exist. Others they are very rare.
    I will just continue to plug along.
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    slow and steady wins the race!

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    THAt is some incredible collection, good luck on the next conquest
    currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    Jim,
    Have not been over to check that out.
    Will see if I can get some time to wander over that way.
    Recently finished my 61 T FB set in PSA 8 and thought about you.
    That darned more or better conversation. (This is an ongoing conversation about the fact that you can upgrade yourself broke to try for a number 1 or you can spread out and have group of sets at #3 or so that are very, very nice).
    Think I continue to lean more your way but it is hard when someone passes me in the standings to not drop a few bucks and put them back down a notch. But I really have enjoyed spreading out into sets that I would not have had otherwise.
    Fuzz
  • Options
    Fuzz,

61T is a beautiful set--congrats.

I understand--have always preferred high grade and if its a smaller set that is not too expensive will go for 9s and 10s but in the larger sets I am happy with 8s.

You and MOSH are the kings of vintage football--I am just trying to pick up the scraps.
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations. I know the pain of waiting for the last couple cards to show in an acceptable grade myself, but it is limited to a set or 2 for me. I couldn't imagine the frustration that can build waiting for those last gems to surface for over 100 sets. You have patience beyond anything that I could ever muster. Then again, I am a case of road rage waiting to happen.
  • Options
    Jim drop me a email sometime i think i have a few assorted goodies you need

Art

Fuzz congrats on the 61 set and stop bidding against me on the nines stick with Jim and the 8,s image
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

Congrats, Jim !!!
  • Options
    Art,

Thanks. Pls let me know--and I always appreciate your bargain prices. image
  • Options
    Jim,
    Congrats on another nice milestone in your collection.
    It just keeps getting better!
    Congrats to you.
  • Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Jim, congrats from me as well on your collecting accomplishments. Very impressive!
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Jim-
    what are you missing from '69?

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Thanks everyone.

Don,

I am down to 4 and its getting painful. Can you find me a psa 8 Pierce AS for $2,000? How about Walls? Hunter? Shantz?

Anthony,

I have about 25 cards graded from 1969 with rest of set raw nrmt-mt. Will likely send in 425 cards that look to be 8s or better but still have over 200 that look o/c. If I could buy set absent star cards in one fell swoop I would.
  • Options
    Jim....

Those 4 1959's you are missing are indeed painful. They are tough as nails to find. I have not seen a Pierce AS PSA 8 available in quite some time. The last one that I remember is the one Joe Cooper sold through Mark Irodenko on ebay for about $3500 last spring as I recall. Unfortunately, if another one becomes available, I think it would take at least that much or more to land it. That card is just that tough and will not get any easier. Eventually, I know that you will get these last 4 cards you need in 1959, but patience will be the key. They just won't become available that readily. If I come across anything on any 4 of these cards privately, I will contact you, Jim. I would love to see you complete that set too. 1959 Topps is by far my favorite set.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Thank you Don--its one of my favorite sets as well--52 Topps, 53 Bowman, 55 Topps, 57 Topps and 59 Topps in no particular order are my top 5.

Jim
  • Options
    Jim, there is a '59 Hunter PSA 8 on ebay right now.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Don,

Thank you--maybe I will bid $200 or so image
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim,

The '69 set is fairly cheap and easy these days (as long as you aren't looking for a PSA 9 Bill Robinson). For the 200 you need, you'd be better off scanning eBay for graded lots. I'm sure most of what you need can be had for the cost of grading.

Completing that last set from the 60's would really put the finishing touches on your run. Of course you could always use an unopened pack from each year to really put the icing on the cake! image
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Jim....

Those 4 1959's you are missing are indeed painful. They are tough as nails to find. I have not seen a Pierce AS PSA 8 available in quite some time. The last one that I remember is the one Joe Cooper sold through Mark Irodenko on ebay for about $3500 last spring as I recall.

One sold on Ebay in the last month for just over $3000.
  • Options
    baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Hello Jim,

Amazing!

How about some pictures? image

It'd be an awe sight to see that many graded sets side by side!

-Jeff
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    great job!
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Another notch in the belt of a great collector! Congratulations!

Oh, and if you start on your run of the '70s....I've got a '72 set in all PSA 8s already waiting for you. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Another amazing accomplishment - congrats!

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    major congrats. I think you guys doing the complete sets are totally insane !!!!! I have trouble doing my yankees sets for one year.....I can't imagine doing complete year sets let alone decade sets. I love the cards also...and would love to do all those sets....but this dog knows thats too big of a bone for me.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets