Home Sports Talk
Options

Hawaii should be playing in the National Championship game

stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
Because I said so.

It's not their fault that the big schools are skeerd to play them.

Pusses.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

Comments

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know you're joking, but I seriously think it is ridiculous that Hawaii will not even have a chance to play in a title game. The way the system is set up, only members of large conferences are eligible for the title: even if a Hawaii or some other minor-conference team has a perfect season, they're automatically shut out. While it may be silly to let them play for the title this year, that just points out that the system itself is silly. Only a playoff system solves this problem - any other system for anointing a national champion is pointless. Could Hawaii beat West Virginia or Missouri? That's about as likely as Stanford beating USC or Kentucky beating LSU, but that's why they play the games, or rather why they need to play the games.
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Boise had their shot last year(and beat Okla), why can't Hawaii have theirs?? And didn't Hawaii just beat Boise??
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if HI gets a BCS game, the players and school leaders will think they won the big one
  • Options
    If Hawaii, or any other, school feels unfairly punished by the BCS system, then it is entirely their own fault. Every school that chooses to partcipate in the Division 1 FBS (Football Bowl Subdivision) knows the unfair rules of the game before the season starts. Every single one of those "mid-major" schools know that the "BCS Conference" schools have an unfair advantage.

So, if any school argues for a playoff system, that school should jump over to the Division 1 FCS (Footbal Championship Subdivsion). That division runs a playoff system!

Like they say: There's no BS in the CS!

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember when BYU was voted #1 after beating a 6-5 Michigan team in the Holiday Bowl (which the WAC champ HAD to go to). They may have received a BCS bid under the current system, but not in the title game.
  • Options

<< <i>If Hawaii, or any other, school feels unfairly punished by the BCS system, then it is entirely their own fault. Every school that chooses to partcipate in the Division 1 FBS (Football Bowl Subdivision) knows the unfair rules of the game before the season starts. Every single one of those "mid-major" schools know that the "BCS Conference" schools have an unfair advantage.

So, if any school argues for a playoff system, that school should jump over to the Division 1 FCS (Footbal Championship Subdivsion). That division runs a playoff system!

Like they say: There's no BS in the CS! >>

How do you figure?

MICH, MICH St, and USC all declined to play Hawaii this year.

And it's not their fault they are in the WAC. They would join a big conference in a heartbeat but it isn't that easy.

I'm sure the SEC would love that traveling nightmare.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    And it's not their fault they are in the WAC. They would join a big conference in a heartbeat but it isn't that easy.

I'm sure the SEC would love that traveling nightmare. >>

Hey, the Big East could use another quality team!! The travel would be a tad cumbersome though.
  • Options
    Hawaii deserves to in the National Championship over anyone else.

Unfeated season, other schools too skeerd to play them, and Colt should be the Heisman front runner.

Screw the screwed up system and let them play.

Viva La Revolucion!
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    Why not just have the vote now? The AP still gives it's title that way, not through the BCS. Why even play one more game? College football has no real champion just electoral winners.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    IMO, it's a good argument for a "+1" game. If Hawaii beat their BCS opponent in their bowl game, I'd be all for including them in a "+1" style game against who ever wins the #1 versus #2 game.

On the off chance that Hawaii won both their BCS bowl game AND the +1 game, I'd have no trouble declaring them #1. Until then, they haven't beaten the top competition to prove they deserve it.

[Edit to add: This would have worked well last year too, to give Boise State a shot at Florida after Boise won its BCS bowl game to finish undefeated, and Florida won the so-called "championship" game.]
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    i agree
    their undefeated
    they should be this years BYU
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started