Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Just to be cruel, I am contemplating...

...scanning pictures of as many different 1878-1921 Darkside coins as I can, just so I can have something ready to plop down everytime somebody plays a Morgan dollar on the UNO thread. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    What? You don't like looking at Morgans over and over and over and over. And what about those VAMs? image

There are days when I wonder if "numismatics" means the study of Morgan dollars.
    I'm sorry. I shouldn't dump on someone else collecting interests... but it's OK in the case of Morgans, right?image
  • PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm sorry. I shouldn't dump on someone else collecting interests... but it's OK in the case of Morgans, right?image >>

I have always liked Morgans, but VAMs are terribly boring image JMO -Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    See, you guys would fit in nicely on the lite-side. image

Edited to add a Morgan. (I'm feeling devilishly ornery today)

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed- Morgans are nice coins, even if, slightly umm... overexposed. Sumnom summed it up perfectly. The problem with Morgans is that they're everywhere, and they seem to take over like weeds (or kudzu, to use a metaphor my fellow Southerners will understand).

VAMs? Ditto. BOooring. As are all minute die variety distinctions.

Of course, I don't even own the VAM book and haven't even seen it, so it's a bit ignorant of me to ridicule that which I do not understand.

(Not that that'll stop me. Heh.)

The Morganites can take a little abuse, anyway. They're like the Legion of Doom around here, anyway, or Big Brother. What's a scrappy little Darksider to do, if he can't have smoe fun at their expense? image

Say, speaking of Morgan dollars, I am leaving the house right now to potentially buy some.

This could be interesting. Watch the Liteside thread for details.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    Don't get me wrong, Morgans are very nice but the radio has been playing the Morgan song just a few too many times.
  • shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't get me wrong, Morgans are very nice but the radio has been playing the Morgan song just a few too many times. >>

Kind of like "My Baby Takes the Morning Train" back in the early 80s?
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Kind of like "My Baby Takes the Morning Train" back in the early 80s? >>

I was thinking of another song,, "Muskrat Love..." by the Carpenters...image
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually like Morgan Dollars. The only problem is that building a set to my satisfaction would require at least $5 million, and I figure I can have a lot more fun with that sort of dough collecting other things in an equally extreme manner.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The problem with Morgans is that they're everywhere, and they seem to take over like weeds (or kudzu, to use a metaphor my fellow Southerners will understand). >>

Just learned about Kudzu since moving to Florida a few months ago! It's cool!! We have a small forest of it in the backyard.

• shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I actually like Morgan Dollars. The only problem is that building a set to my satisfaction would require at least $5 million, and I figure I can have a lot more fun with that sort of dough collecting other things in an equally extreme manner. >>

So you're not going to work on the complete VAM grading set (P01 through highest grade known for each)?
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you're not going to work on the complete VAM grading set (P01 through highest grade known for each)?

The only way I'm buying a Morgan for my collection is if it has a Latin American counterstamp!

But I'm sure I'll buy more than my fair share for resale...
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
    What a great idea, Shiroh... maybe I should reconsider my Morgan attitude.
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    While I have no desire to collect Morgans, I have to admit they are pretty coins.

Oh, and they DO have a Darkside connection, George Morgan was an Englishman who was looking for a job at the Royal Mint. The RM didn't have anything for him so a letter was sent by the RM to the US Mint and Morgan was hired on the basis of that letter sight unseen.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
    Cool. I did not know that.
    Seeing Lord M's new hoard is slowly changing my mind about Morgans. Maybe I should start a nice collection of darkened circs? I am in a coin buying lull now but when I start up again I may think about Morgans.

Please don't tell anyone! image
    My Morgan adventure yesterday, which has run to over 100 replies on the Liteside forum now, renders this thread rather ironic, doesn't it? image

<< <i>Just learned about Kudzu since moving to Florida a few months ago! It's cool!! We have a small forest of it in the backyard. >>

Aaah, but will you still say that when it swallows the house?

Literally. The stuff can grow inches in a day. They once cleared a long-vacant, kudzu-infested lot in my old NC hometown near Aethelred's location. They found an abandoned two-story house that had been completely swallowed by the kudzu. They didn't even know there was a house under there (not the folks clearing the lot, anyway). But I think it does better in slightly cooler climes. Here in SE GA it is not as big a nuisance as it is further north in the state. Our climate is more like Florida's and perhaps a little less like China or Japan or wherever it is kudzu came from in the Far East. It likes the red clay soil in north Georgia and the Carolinas.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really don't think Morgan Dollars are nearly as attractive in comparison to crown size coins of several other countries. I still have my raw set that is two coins shy of being complete. excluding VAMS. As for VAMS, I think there are those that can be seen with the naked eye that very very cool. The Hot Lips, Shifted Eagle micro o and 1903-s micro s... to name afew.

I think Seated Dollars and Trade Dollars are more attractive.

Overall, Morgan Dollars seem to be the most popularly collected US silver coin

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.