Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

FSH: NGC MS62 1668 Austria Leopold the Hogmouth Taler

Leopold I, Holy Roman Emperor (name in full: Leopold Ignaz Joseph Balthasar Felician) Habsburg (June 9, 1640 – May 5, 1705), Holy Roman emperor, was the second son of the emperor Ferdinand III and his first wife Maria Anna of Spain. His maternal grandparents were Philip III of Spain and Margarita of Austria.
The Latin inscription reads (obverse): LEOPOLDVS D[EI] G[RATIA] R[OMANORVM] I[MPERATOR] S[EMPER] A[VGVSTVS] G[ERMANIAE] H[VNGARIAE] B[OHEMIAE] REX (reverse): ARCHID[VX] AVS[TRIAE] DVX B[VRGVNDIAE] CO[MES] TYR[OLIS] 1668. In English: "Leopold, by the Grace of God, Emperor of the Romans, always Augustus, of Germany, Hungary, and Bohemia, King, Archduke of Austria, Duke of Burgundy, Count of Tyrol, 1668." The unusual shape of the emperor's mouth on this coin earned it the nickname, "Leopold the Hogmouth," but most collectors do not believe the coin was an accurate depiction.
$695 ppd paypal ok.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Hogmouth, Jim. Saw it over on the Darkside Swap.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Thanks. it is nice. I am focusing more on my toned foreign or I wouldn't even consider selling it.
  • Options
    I need a close-up of the reverse before I decide.
    Salute the automobile: The greatest anti-pollution device in human history!
    (Just think of city streets clogged with a hundred thousand horses each generating 15 lbs of manure every day...)
  • Options
  • Options
    Why doesn't this coin pop up in the NGC census?
    (Just think of city streets clogged with a hundred thousand horses each generating 15 lbs of manure every day...)
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    That's one funny looking dude. Neat coin, though.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    Why doesn't this coin pop up in the NGC census

I don't know but I have other NGC world coins not on census. Probably a good question ATS.
  • Options
    I don't doubt that the coin is genuine. It just seems to be one of the more populous thalers out there - this is the second one I've seen. Definition quite good, but the coin is gray without a trace of cartwheel or even luster, correct?
  • Options
    It's not a rare taler but you won't find many unc.s. These were made on roller dies so I don't think your going to find the luster you expect from the stirations of a struck coin. This coin has better detail that others I've seen.