Home Sports Talk
Options

Minnesota Twins fan venting...

Ok, I hate the fact that we cant afford to keep Santana. That said, he must be traded because he wont resign with us. His Value will be little come the all-star break.

Torii Hunter was a fan favorite, but once again he outgrew the small market wallet, bye Torii with 2 i's. We will miss ya.

But Matt Garza NEEDS to stay here, its a joke to be thinking of trading this kid for a guy always in trouble (Delmon Young, D.rays) http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3131988 . Garza will be a 15 -20 game winner for many years. His curve is sick, his fastball in high 90's.

What this new Twins GM is doing is dumping our studs now that the new stadium is going to be built. Who is next, Joe Mauer, Justin Mornuea, Micheal Cuddyer?

The Twins have a solid group of young ballplayers right now, If they somehow can keep them together they have a legit chance each year of contending.

Dont forget the Kid Liriano, went out with Tommy John 2 years back, he is back next year too. This kid was mean, I think he won like 12 out of 14 starts, era was below 2 and had more K's than Santana.

Sure will be fun watching a 60 win a season team play when the stadium is built...
Am I speaking Chinese?

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like a fire sale for sure, but the Twins are a team that have snuck up and won world series out of nowhere in the past!
  • Options
    nflhofnflhof Posts: 189 ✭✭
    This is why MLB is so screwed up and not really fair. The Twins can't compete with the higher revune teams.
  • Options
    I read that Yanks are offering Hughes, Cabrera, and another pitcher or two. I know that you have to give up a lot to get a lot, but I would hate to lose Hughes. Sometimes the best trade is the one you don't make, and I would rather they not do this.
  • Options
    "Garza will be a 15 -20 game winner for many years"

that's debatable. Pitchers are such a crapshoot. it's too bad you cant hold onto one of the best 3 pitchers in baseball. He is going to command crazy money.
  • Options
    Still got Maur and Morneau and maybe a productive Cuddyer? Tough to replace Hunters #'s last year......
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I read that Yanks are offering Hughes, Cabrera, and another pitcher or two. I know that you have to give up a lot to get a lot, but I would hate to lose Hughes. Sometimes the best trade is the one you don't make, and I would rather they not do this. >>

The best you could possibly hope Hughes to be is as good as Santana, right? Why not do this when you're getting the proven commodity?
  • Options
    Although I do agree that trading good, young pitching is not very smart in today's market....especially when that young pitching is cheap and when you're likely going to lose your ace. But, the deal wasn't ALL that bad. Young did have very good numbers last season...in only his first year. I'm somewhat biased, but i'm fairly bullish on young...i think he can be a very good hitter...especially when you surround him with good hitters (which the twins do have with M&M).

perhaps this just foreshadows a possible santana trade that will bring in more young pitching.
  • Options
    Well its done, Ill top this next season when Garza is 16-7 with a 3.10 era and around 200 strikeouts...

Bad move for the Twinkies...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What this new Twins GM is doing is dumping our studs now that the new stadium is going to be built. Who is next, Joe Mauer, Justin Mornuea, Micheal Cuddyer? >>

hmmm, Boston has been looking for someone to backup Varitek.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I read that Yanks are offering Hughes, Cabrera, and another pitcher or two. I know that you have to give up a lot to get a lot, but I would hate to lose Hughes. Sometimes the best trade is the one you don't make, and I would rather they not do this. >>

The best you could possibly hope Hughes to be is as good as Santana, right? Why not do this when you're getting the proven commodity? >>

Gosteelers - I know what you're saying, but Hughes looks like he has the stuff to be a future # 1. He'a about 5 years younger, and for the first time I can recall the Yanks have a lot of great really young pitchers. I wish they would break with the old formula and just hold them. Also Cabrera is the best outfielder we've had in a long long time. He hits pretty well too, and it would be another tough thing to replace. My gut is for the Yanks to just stay put for once.
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    The Twins can't use salary as an excuse. The Indians have passed them paying millions less. You have to constantly be developing stars and expect a couple of down years when they move on to the Yanks/Sox/etc.... That said you don't throw away the '08 season be trading Santana and Garza under any circumstances. This team with modest production from 3B and the DH spot would have been right in the mix next year. Now we trade a live arm for a psycho. Get rid of our shortstop as well? Ridiculous. I will not buy a ticket again to see the Twins again unless it is a road game. The Twins have always been a classy group, and now we sign a bat throwing idiot. Oh well at least he can hit a bit.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    I'll trade pitching prospects for a soild pitcher 9 out of 10 times. Most prospects, especially pitchers, end up being more hype than substance.

The exception to the rule is when that player has 1 year left on his contract and will declare free-agency after the season (ie Randy Johnson for Freddy García and Carlos Guillén).
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    This is why none of us are GM's.
    First off, a small organization as smart as the Twins realize it's all about keeping your franchise type guys--but you can't keep more than a couple, there just isn't enough money. They will get a bounty for Santana and they will be fine for years. Remember, this is the team that traded jerkster A.J Perzinski and got not only Liriano, but Nathan back as well--they can scout. If they like Young, it's probably because a) they think he can hit but not only that, b) they have some more good young pitching coming up (and potentially getting 2 good young arms in the Santana trade).
    I love Johan Santana and as a former Northern Ontario boy I used to be a big Twins fan as well (we lived about a 6 hour drive from the twin cities), in the good ol days of Hrbek and Brunansky. BUT, it is a small market, and they know what they're doing. You can't give one guy 25 million, no matter who he is because out of that 5 or 7 or 10 year contract, there will be at least one year when he's ineffective, when he's hurt or when he just gets fat and lazy counting his money (a la Bobby Bonilla perhaps, or maybe the best Twins move when they didn't resign NY boy Viola--I'm sure this made more Twins fans angry than anything, but look how well it turned out).
    This team will contend every 4 out of 5 years, which is more than 75% of the rest of the league. It's just not like the old days anymore, alot of guys will only be there 5 years or so, but just deal with it. Taking a playoff spot 80% of the time is better than watching Torrie Hunter prance around hitting .260 making 15 mil--I'll take the playoffs, and a potential World Series, over any player anyday!
    Jay
  • Options
    HeY Jay, Bruno, Gagne, Hrbeck, Kirby, The G-man, those were the days!

Remember though, the old Twins GM Terry Ryan stepped down, so its tough to trust in this new guy? The AJ trade was great, now I hear Nathan is on the block too though...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    Hey, you will still have Boof Bonser, Glen Perkins, and Scott Baker...image
  • Options
    BOOF!
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    as long as Boston can keep Ellsbury and Buchholz, I'd be fine with seeing Coco and Lester go to Minnesota image
  • Options

<< <i>as long as Boston can keep Ellsbury and Buchholz, I'd be fine with seeing Coco and Lester go to Minnesota image >>

I second that! image
  • Options
    Maybe I can hire the Mariner Moose to finish Coco off before that trade can happen.
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    Dabeer............here are my thoughts on the Minnesota Twins (Yes, I live in MN)..........

They always seem to talk about "growing the talent", and they do the BEST job
    of ANY franchise anywhere in doing so, but, in my opinion, after listening and
    watching these guys .........and remember now, Hunter WAS my favorite Twin........

These guys are just plain GREEEEEEEEEEEEEDY! What I mean is, once you are
    making $3-4-5-6-7 Million a year, how much freakin' money do you need?

Don't get me wrong, I am all for getting what you are worth, but, at some point
    in time, do you EVER think about the city and fans that supported you when you
    were having a bad year (And Hunter did have a couple bad years!). There is
    absolutely NO loyalty anymore because of these greedy Agents that get their
    big cut.

I realize there are many reasons a player wants to leave besides money, but,
    come on folks, who is kidding who here? There is no sense of TEAM anymore.
    It is all about one-upping the other guy. Johann Santana is a good pitcher and
    he will probably get waaaaaaaaaaaaay more money than he is worth, but, again,
    he gets all bent out of shape at the Twins and snubs his nose at them.

I guess my point is, IS that I am just sick and tired of rooting for a team, then get
    settled in with one of my favorites and then, they want to up and leave because
    of the ALMIGHTY $$$$$$$ !

Alex Rodriguez is another example of the almighty dollar, I don't care what he "CLAIMS".
    He tried to screw the Yankees by pretending to be going elsewhere and then came crawling back
    WITHOUT BORAS when he realized NOBOBDY was going to pay his ridiculous
    asking price.

Isn't anyone else tiring of this same OLD STORY?

Tony
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's why I barely follow baseball anymore. I used to follow it with a passion when I was a kid. However, these days it's the same old story. The small market teams develop the talent and the 5-6 big market teams swollow them up when they become stars. You look at the big name free agents and it's the same teams that are the interested parties - Red Sox, Yankees, Dodgers, Angels, Mets.

Though I'm a Pirate fan, I blame my team's ownership for their failures. Their ineptness is really the cause of their non competitiveness, not the market dynamics. But for teams like the A's and Twins who do it right, they constantly have to find the young players to replace the stars that get 'stolen' by the big money teams. That's why you get a few small market teams competing each year along with all the usual big money clubs who basically get to the playoffs based on how much money they spent the previous winter.

I could be GM and field a playoff contender if given enough money. I just go out and get Josh Beckett, Manny Ramirez, ARod, Santana, Texiera and maybe a Dontrell Willis to be a spot reliever and pinch hitter. My third string cather will be Jason Kendall and my utility infielder will be Jack Wilson. Meanwhile the small market teams are fighting for Sparky LaJoy who's the only free agent they can afford, all the while as they scout a junior high player in BFE, Nicaragua to find that next future Yankee all star left fielder.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Gemmint - well said. A lot of people point to the Twins and A's as examples of how to do it right because they have had some success over the last several years. But as a fan of those teams, it's got to be absolutely gut-wrenching to watch what was a playoff team one year become a cellar dwellar the next year. I'd throw the Florida Marlins out there as an example too.

Another thing that bugs me is that proponents of the status quo like to talk about all the different teams that have made it to the World Series lately. They seem to think that indicates a healthy parody. It's great that a lot of teams have had a chance to win, but I think that has more to do with the Wild Card than with the healthy state of baseball economics. I bet Chicago White Sox fans were thrilled when they won it all a couple years ago, but I bet they hated 2007.

I don't mean this to sound like a brag at all, but as a Red Sox fan I honestly feel fortunate that I know my team is going to try to win every year. I respect the heck out of teams like the Twins and the A's for what they try to do, but I wouldn't have the fortitude to live and die with them year after year, especially when I felt like it was more dying than living.

So how do they fix this?
  • Options
    So how do they fix this?

Have some type of salary cap like football. It's the only way it's going to stop happening. Maybe contraction? Let's see, we can get rid of Florida, Tampa Bay, Oakland, Minnesota, maybe Texas, Pittsburgh.
  • Options
    As a Twins fan it is hard to watch. I actually like they develop their own talent but hate how the purse strings are so tight. It's not like the owner would be losing a lot in signing Frank Thomas or Mike Piazza a year or two ago. Another 10 million spent right may have put them over the top. As far as the Garza-Young trade think it was a good deal. At least the new GM is trying to shake things up. Will it work out? Who knows? But at least he is giving it a shot. As far as Johan is concerned, the big 4 (Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, and Dodgers) just don't take the first good deal. Let them bid against each other. No one is "untouchable" don't care what any GM says. They may have a pairing of untouchables but not any one player is untouchable. Two big spenders in each league would rather have him go to the NL and think the Dodgers could produce the best package. Then send Nathan to the NL and things will be better. Hunter was great here but if he can get 90 million to go to Anahiem God bless him. Who in the he double toothpicks wouldn't do that? He's never proven to be clutch just another bat in Anahiem and they'll be out in the first round when they hit the Yankees or Sox. Ah well, as a life long Twins fan this is the most exciting offseason by far hope they go for it cuz it may just turn out well.
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they
    wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're
    going to feel all day. "
    ~Frank Sinatra
  • Options

<< <i>So how do they fix this?

Have some type of salary cap like football. It's the only way it's going to stop happening. Maybe contraction? Let's see, we can get rid of Florida, Tampa Bay, Oakland, Minnesota, maybe Texas, Pittsburgh. >>

that's five of the last 20 WS winners! (or pretty close)
  • Options
    I have long proposed that they should consolidate the two Florida teams into one good team image

they could contract Minnesota and Milwaukee into one cold weather dominator....
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have long proposed that they should consolidate the two Florida teams into one good team image

they could contract Minnesota and Milwaukee into one cold weather dominator.... >>

I know I am in the minority BIG TIME ...... but if MLB would just do away with these teams that play in markets that have NO BUSINESS calling themselves "BIG LEAGUE" and get back to a consolidated true MAJOR LEAGUES with rosters stacked top to bottom with real BIG LEAGUE players and not the infinite minor league caliber talent that poisons so many rosters now then baseball would really be something to watch.

Disclaimer ...... yeah yeah yeah I know ...... ITS NOT FAIR image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

<< <i>Ok, I hate the fact that we cant afford to keep Santana. That said, he must be traded because he wont resign with us. His Value will be little come the all-star break. >>

Don't blame the players, you have one of the richest owners in MLB with shallow pockets.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Ok, I hate the fact that we cant afford to keep Santana. That said, he must be traded because he wont resign with us. His Value will be little come the all-star break. >>

Don't blame the players, you have one of the richest owners in MLB with shallow pockets. >>

Proof? Im not saying he isnt. fyi.

Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    I'm sure the Phillies would be willing to part with say Ryan Howard or Jim Rollins for some over the hill middle reliver!

Sincerely,
    Scott Rolen and Jim Thome
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>What this new Twins GM is doing is dumping our studs now that the new stadium is going to be built. Who is next, Joe Mauer, Justin Mornuea, Micheal Cuddyer? >>

hmmm, Boston has been looking for someone to backup Varitek. >>

Varitek would be the 3rd best catcher on the Twins.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i>

<< <i>

Varitek would be the 3rd best catcher on the Twins. >>

All of Minnesota's pitchers would be better if Varitek was their catcher.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Varitek would be the 3rd best catcher on the Twins. >>

All of Minnesota's pitchers would be better if Varitek was their catcher. >>

Ask Eric Gagne if Varitek made him better. Varitek is an adequate catcher. He would just be playing in Tripple A if he was with the Twins. Mauer and Varitek aren't even in the same league (with the bat and behind the plate) and Redmond is a better hitter and at the very least equal to Varitek in handling the pitchers.
  • Options

<< <i>Ask Eric Gagne if Varitek made him better. Varitek is an adequate catcher. He would just be playing in Tripple A if he was with the Twins. Mauer and Varitek aren't even in the same league (with the bat and behind the plate) and Redmond is a better hitter and at the very least equal to Varitek in handling the pitchers. >>

uh huh. The two are not in the same league with the bat, that part I'll agree with. Varitek's ability to handle pitchers, lead, and manage a game is what makes him a better catcher than either of those guys.
  • Options
    Id take Tek just to get Baby Jesus out from behind the plate.
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options

<< <i>Id take Tek just to get Baby Jesus out from behind the plate. >>

Is that what they call Mauer?