Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

For All NFL Player Autograph Collectors Tutorial

There has been a lot of discussion about the older NFL players and if they are alive or not. Here are some ideas/hints/suggestions that will help all involved.

For everyone who collects older football players. There are a few things you NEED to have to make your collection grow. I have been doing TTM for over 20 years. I have found many great sources to help me in my quest.

Here is a list of what you need:

1. Total Football Book: There are several versions...get Total Football II or TF 1. They have listed EVERY player who played in the NFL AND it includes birth/death information if available. This book is a must for everyone who collects. It is the place where you START every search.

2. Harvey Meiselman 's address list. This provides access to the players you wish to write. Although, he is not 100% accurate, it is not expected in this sort of thing. You can not go wrong with his list.

3. Use SSDI. The social security death index. If you have the TF book, you will have the players birth information and middle name. You can then search to find out if they are deceased. Although, I have found many players not included here...it is still a great service.

4. go to the link below. It has ever living NFL & College Football Player listed. It has people that #2 on this list does not include. (Shameless plug, it is my personal site!)

5. Simply do a Google search: type the name different ways, like : 'john doe died' or 'john doe deceased'....or 'john doe football' with middle name, without.....many ways to check for information on a player.

with these simple and inexpensive tools, your collection will grow tremendously.

Regards,

Jim

Oldest Living NFL Players List

Currency Wants: Any note with serial number 00000731

Comments

• Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    this is a great website, i have no idea why im the only one that post on it, if your player is not on the list,hes dead,ive narrowed down the whole 50 bowman set that way,10 have died this year alone,and its not even over yet,that got to be a record paul burris was the 10th i believe
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    whats the URL for the SSDI?
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.