Holy Crap!

Comments

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Not unless you have a small houseimage

I think it is on the high end of semi reality IMHO

• Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Oh the price is crazy high, I just love the look of the set... pipe dream city...
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ^

(speechless- couldn't draw air into me lungs, there)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Gee, thanks, Dan. Now I gotta change my undies.

I would rather own that than an 1804 US silver dollar.

• Options
    He did an excellent job at shooting that copperimage
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    It's exquisite. I wonder how many real potential buyers this set has, both sides of the Atlantic.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    I saw that set earlier this week......

STUNNING and with the original case too......

Sort of ake you want to ask "Where have you been all my life???"
  • Options
    There was an ungraded set that sold on ebay last year for $36,000, WOW does that plastic costimage
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There was an ungraded set that sold on ebay last year for $36,000, WOW does that plastic costimage >>

Frankly, the BIGGIE in the set (the Una) is a very common grade for those which are commonly hairlined to Hades.

I'd cherry the crown, halfcrown, and the coppers....they look nice. Otherwise, image
  • Options
    nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There was an ungraded set that sold on ebay last year for $36,000, WOW does that plastic costimage >>

Hard to imagine that, with a genuine Una anyway.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outrageous price, and I do not care about the grades being high. Although it appears that the European "thing" these days is common coins in uncommon condition for crazy prices. My opinion:

Una 45k
    1 sov 3.5k
    1/2 sov 2.1k
    5/- 7k
    2/6 2k
    1/- 0.6
    6d 0.6
    Maundy 0.5
    1d 1.8k
    rest of copper 1.8k

Total: ~65k, maybe 70

More than that, get off the crack pipe!
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    It's exquisite. I wonder how many real potential buyers this set has, both sides of the Atlantic.

Let's separate your comment into two parts:

1. Exquisite.

2. How many real buyers?

It is exquisite and should fetch top dollar, perhaps even what they're asking or more.

If not, it sits for a couple/three weeks and sells for $95,000, at least half a dozen potential buyers.

Just wait, the rest of the world will eventually catch up to the comparative level of US homeland buyers. Want to bet the big bidder is from the Middle East or the US and not GB?
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    Six buyers at 95k? That seems to be a bit optimistic. Do you know of any buyers?
  • Options
    Right after I came on this forum and expressed my desire for an UNA, Cosmic pointed out and auction for a complete set like that one, and we were in awe at the $17,000 sales price.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Boz, it's not the plastic itself that raises the price of a coronation set. Whoever has looked at late 19th, early 20th century British coronation sets in their case of issue, has certainly noticed that many of them are impaired, so slabbing one in true gem condition is actually a good thing, the set will not suffer in the future. However, as Mac noticed, the centerpiece here is only PF63CAM a relatively low grade. I don't know if 7 Jaguar's values are correct, especially with a very low USD nowadays, but it's an impressive set either way you look at it and not an item we get to see very often.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Boz, it's not the plastic itself that raises the price of a coronation set. Whoever has looked at late 19th, early 20th century British coronation sets in their case of issue, has certainly noticed that many of them are impaired, so slabbing one in true gem condition is actually a good thing, the set will not suffer in the future. However, as Mac noticed, the centerpiece here is only PF63CAM a relatively low grade. I don't know if 7 Jaguar's values are correct, especially with a very low USD nowadays, but it's an impressive set either way you look at it and not an item we get to see very often. >>

Una 45k
    1 sov 3.5k
    1/2 sov 2.1k
    5/- 7k
    2/6 2k
    1/- 0.6
    6d 0.6
    Maundy 0.5
    1d 1.8k
    rest of copper 1.8k

Well, as individual pieces, I'd pay more than these prices for all else save the Una. If the crown and half crown really are 65s, they would easily top 9k. I believe the Goldbergs have sold some of these 2/6s recently for over $5k alone....and, I guarantee I'd pay close to double for the shilling on down to the farthing (if those NGC grades were in keeping with rodent standards); and, I'm a poor church mus at that.

That said, and as Syr. alluded to, these sets in original boxes can be simply hideous, hairlined, thumbed messes with ugly toning. This set is not so. I like the evenly toned silver pieces, and it is definitely good to get them "protected". Same goes for the 1887 & 1893 sets, and Gothic crowns; more often than not they're train wrecks.

Chris, LMK if you want to break 'em up. image

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outrageous price, and I do not care about the grades being high.

If you do not care about the quality of the set, then you are correct to not pay the price. However, your unwillingness to pay the price doesn't make the price "outrageous".

For all it's worth, I'd pay 100K for a gem Una alone, so quality certainly does have some value in the marketplace.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Y'all can keep the gold; I'll take the copper and the silver... aw heck, you can keep the silver too. image
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Wow, Andy, maybe there are some ungraded coins out there to sell @ 100k - I would definately imagine so. The 2/6's at 5k seem VERY unrealistic as I have purchased and hold several of the different subtypes in superb condition for considerably less (no, they are not for sale). I would also remind the readers that the Una sold in Cali about two years ago allegedly at 55k was bottomline a nonsale as the coin popped up again it seems, along with several others.

Where I do agree with the comments is that these 19th C. (AND 20th C.) proofs were grossly mishandled by and large. I am still of the belief that the Royal Mint workers gave departing matte 1902 coins a bit of a wipe as SOP as an example. I have also seen so many coppers that have been fingered that I wish I could go back in time (or even in present day Angleterre) and slap a few people around.....
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice!!! Too high a price? Only time will tell.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    It's on hold.