Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Wanted: upgrades for my 1956 mint set, especially a '56-D Jeff with FS designation

Well the title says it all. image

My #2 1956 mint set.

I'm happy with the coins over all. The dimes are a bit boring. I bought a MS 67 philly toner that is awesome and will keep it as a duplicate coin in my collection. I won't register it because it is worth less than the MS 66 FB already there but it is a nicer coin.

I had to be born in 1956 when FS Jeffs were very scarce! In fact there is a 3 point bonus for the '56-D nickel in FS. I'm a buyer of any grade w/ the designation. A MS 64 FS would help my set and a 65 FS is my target. I dream of finding one raw but I never search enough inventory/rolls to have a hope there...

The Frankie is nice. There is a huge difference in eye appeal among the numerous examples in 66 FBL. I picked one with toning that is a bit off the beaten path. I also am agonizing among 2 philly quarters. One is mellow yellow but is a bit more subdued while the blue is more common but more vibrant.

Toning in the Cents is more interesting to me than the pristine red coins. So I'm only entertaining MS 67 Reds if the price is good. I am interested in neat toners for my duplicate set though. image

I saw a '56-D quarter in MS 67 on Heritage for something crazy like $4,500. I would love a pointer to an ANACS MS 68 or NGC 67 for $100 so I could entertain thoughts of crossing to PCGS. That is kinda like the thoughts I entertain when I buy a $1 lottery ticket. image

Comments

• Looks like we are in the same boat Carl.

56 is a very tough year not only for the mint set, but proof as well.

It's beena battle trying to find a nice cameo Jeffie.

I think from now on- when I see the proverbial unopened mint/prrof set- and it truly looks unopened - I'm buyin it to cherry pic.

but the overall odds of the dcam'rs- prolly 1000 to 1.
  • That gets expensive. I bought some unopened sets - turns out they had indeed been opened before. I have some nice coins, but no FS Jeffs and I'm not sure if they are worth certifing. I probably will use the best to round out an order.
  • FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Try finding a full step 1965 mint state coin... now that's rare. That's the reason why I won't complete a 65 mint state set. Good luck finding your coins Carl.

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Thanks for the reply Steve!

One problem with 1965 is there is sometimes confusion between SMS and MS coins!
  • yevrahyevrah Posts: 143 ✭✭
    As another 1956 baby, I decided to build an 1856 Mint set.

The smaller denominations are all affordable (I'm doing a set of Mostly AU or less coins) at AU or below grades. That is not including the 1856 Flying Eagle cent.

yevrah/harvey

ebay ID: 78terp
    ANA # R-3143946

1899 Mint Set
  • Great idea Harvey! Once I'm finished with my 1956 set I may look into joining you on an 1856 set. Gee if I get the 1856 set finished I will have a good start on a type set. image

• << <i>As another 1956 baby, I decided to build an 1856 Mint set.

The smaller denominations are all affordable (I'm doing a set of Mostly AU or less coins) at AU or below grades. That is not including the 1856 Flying Eagle cent. >>

Hmmm seems like a thing to do- and this one will be harder to do in registry form

see any 56 eagles that go cheap lately?