Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1969 PSA Set

I have a large amount of 1969 cards from a vending run and I am deciding if grading them is worth it? The cards are gorgeous with some with slight centering issues. Is this set tough to finish in a PSA 9 condition?

Comments

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That almost sounds as if you are trying to get someone to make you an offer. Good luck with the "grading".
  • Options
    Take a look at the sets on the all-time '69 registry -- there has been a single set that was above 9.0 -- that set was sold and upgraded a little bit (#2 and #1 on the all-time list). The next two sets belong to 2 gentlemen that know '69's extremely well and have outstanding eyes for cards. So, yes, the set is very difficult in PSA_9.
    Dr S. of the Dead Donkeys MC
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    If you want to sell some commons let me know, I am trying to put a set together.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    I am not trying to sell my cards. I have a large lot of vendings that I am holding onto for about 6 years and after I sell my 72's I want to get some or all of them graded.
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    You have no reason to wait. Take your top fifty cards and get them graded. If the grades come back 9s and 10s, grade another 50. If they come back 7s and 8s, you know you have some nice cards but not in the mint league.
  • Options
    Hello I have the number 2 set in the 69's. Its under DJJ. The 69 set has alot of nuances that make it unique. While there are alot of cards in the set that are easily found in PSA there are just as many that are tough. The high numbers in this set from around 513-600 are very easy in 9. There are some tough ones above 600 but even these are getting easier to get. The toughest series appears to be in the 200's with the 400's coming in right behind. Check the pop reports. There are still some that have not yet been graded 9.

A few of the cards that will be hot in 9 are 212 Tresh, 262 Kekich
    381 Kranepool, 512 Jones. The Jones has brought as much as 500 dollars for a 9. Also the 110 Shannon and the 78 Satiano will also bring high dollars. There are also some 8's that will bring 50-150. But with like any other sets. There are cards out there that have more supply than demand. My suggestion would be to check the pop report and maybe the sets that are on the registry.

On another note if you can get a #85 Brock in 8 its an pretty good chance it will bring 700+. The last 4 sold for over 700. The 78 Satriano in 8 has averaged 81 dollars over the last 5 sales. A Keckich in 8 sold for over 200 a few months back.

Some stars that bring ok money in 8 and great money in 9 are Mays, Gibson, F Robinson and Seaver. These are very tough in 9 and all have the potential to bring over 1000 per card.

Good luck with submission if you choose that route

Dave
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hello I have the number 2 set in the 69's. Its under DJJ. The 69 set has alot of nuances that make it unique. While there are alot of cards in the set that are easily found in PSA there are just as many that are tough. The high numbers in this set from around 513-600 are very easy in 9. There are some tough ones above 600 but even these are getting easier to get. The toughest series appears to be in the 200's with the 400's coming in right behind. Check the pop reports. There are still some that have not yet been graded 9.

A few of the cards that will be hot in 9 are 212 Tresh, 262 Kekich
    381 Kranepool, 512 Jones. The Jones has brought as much as 500 dollars for a 9. Also the 110 Shannon and the 78 Satiano will also bring high dollars. There are also some 8's that will bring 50-150. But with like any other sets. There are cards out there that have more supply than demand. My suggestion would be to check the pop report and maybe the sets that are on the registry.

On another note if you can get a #85 Brock in 8 its an pretty good chance it will bring 700+. The last 4 sold for over 700. The 78 Satriano in 8 has averaged 81 dollars over the last 5 sales. A Keckich in 8 sold for over 200 a few months back.

Some stars that bring ok money in 8 and great money in 9 are Mays, Gibson, F Robinson and Seaver. These are very tough in 9 and all have the potential to bring over 1000 per card.

Good luck with submission if you choose that route

Dave >>

Great information, love to read things about other sets from those who know them well. This is what makes these forums fun for me. Learning something about a set even if I do not collect them.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I couldn't have said it better than Dave.

Check the pop reports and submit accordingly. A PSA 9 Al Dark will bring about $10-$12 while a PSA 9 Bill Robinson will bring, well, let's wait for the current auction to close to see. I've been able to upgrade a big chunk of my 7th ranked set at <$25 a card. These are mostly cards with PSA 9 populations in the mid teens. Like most other sets from this era, there's been a big shift in prices the past few years. Cards that used to sell for $50+ now sell for <$20 as the populations have risen.

Beware of print snow and corner wear on the reverse (loss of pink color). Those can take a seamingly mint card and turn it into a 7. Also watch for tilted photos by measuring the border at point where the border is smallest.
  • Options
    What do you have and what's the price?
  • Options
    Yeah, I love hearing about these old sets from the experts. Starting learning about 72 Topps myself about 6 months ago and was amazed at some of the nuances. Mainly, the fact that nice condition low-pop commons can go for well more than similar conditon HOF'ers!

Just out of curiosity... wondering why you would be dumping those top-notch 72's to just to get these 69's graded. Unless maybe you're sitting on a bunch of 9's & 10's?
    Jim G
    All-time favorite athletes:
    Steve Sax, Steve Garvey, Larry Bird, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Andre Agassi, Karch Kiraly, Wayne Gretzky, Ichiro Suzuki, Andres Galarraga, Greg Maddux.
    "Make the world a better place... punch both A-Rods in the face (Alex Rodriguez and Andy Roddick)!"