Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

World coins in the Red Book

Are there any world coins or tokens that you feel deserve to be in the Guide Book of United States Coins, that currently aren't?

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, the example of Puerto Rico came up earlier. It was news to me that the Redbook had ever included them, if it did. True, the PR coinage was struck under Spanish rule, but the colonial stuff at the front of the book was largely struck under British rule and there's the Hawaiian stuff struck when it was a kingdom, so Puerto Rico should be in there.

I can understand their limiting the scope of Philippine coin listings to the US Sovereignty and Commonwealth periods for reasons of space.

You know what I'd like to see, in at least an abridged, list format, if not with pictures and prices? A list of world coins that were struck at the US Mint for foreign governments. That's a pretty long list, though.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    I'd strongly second inclusion of at least a basic list of US minted world coins. It seems a popular topic and folks are always asking if there's a list.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    many of the 8R coins deserve a spot in the Redbook, but I am not going to argue about it

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    If Puerto Rican, Hawaiian and French colonial coins for North America belong there, how about also including the Danish West Indies coins (minted for what is now the U.S. Virgin Islands)?
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    how about also including the Danish West Indies coins (minted for what is now the U.S. Virgin Islands)?

Bad idea. I haven't completed my DWI set yet.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    stuff seen in Canada and Mexico before 1850

since many of those were circulating in US as well

not necessarily prices but picture and description would be neat
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>how about also including the Danish West Indies coins (minted for what is now the U.S. Virgin Islands)?

Bad idea. I haven't completed my DWI set yet. >>

That's why i've been kinda hush-hush about my latest collecting adventures.. with the rising prices all across the board I really don't need competition! image
  • Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd strongly second inclusion of at least a basic list of US minted world coins. It seems a popular topic and folks are always asking if there's a list. >>

Here is a list in PDF format. Having a special Krause type book of these might be a neat idea too.

US Minted Foreign Coins
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    No , the red book is getting too big as it is. It takes to page 72 just to get to regular US coins.
  • Options
    Why stop at 8R, the smaller real denominations were acceptable at US post offices at 80 % by law until at least the 1990's.
  • Options
    BigAlanBigAlan Posts: 311
    Red Bool should be limited to what circulated in the US, otherwise you get another Krause.
    "It is good for the state that the people do not think."

Adolf Hitler
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Red Bool should be limited to what circulated in the US, otherwise you get another Krause. >>

Yea, verily. If the coins regularly circulated in the US or the colonies, include them.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    BigAlanBigAlan Posts: 311
    coins regularly circulated in the US

Does that include Canadians?
    "It is good for the state that the people do not think."

Adolf Hitler
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dennis - It strikes me as odd that Whitman has never tried to extend its brand to the coins of other countries. Sure, Canada is "taken" by Charlton, but there are many other opportunities. For example, a Red Book of Mexican Coins would have little competition, and the potential is there.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    ManMan Posts: 1,002
    Of course Puerto Rico should be listed. It's listed in the Krause U.S. Coin Digest.

I own a Charlton Coin book and would like to see a Red Bok version and one for each country. I think Red Book's format is the best.
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

<< <i>coins regularly circulated in the US

Does that include Canadians? >>

The Charlton Guide shows types of US coins that circulated in Canada (at least in the 19th century), so why not return the favor?
    Obscurum per obscurius